Ulysses ** Breaking News **

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:37 am Post

devinganger wrote:
Pavel wrote:I'm fully Adobe free and refuse to use use Office despite having it available for free through my school

Small digression, but you *do* realize that Office is still available as a stand-alone suite that you can purchase non-subscription *as well* as the O365 subscription version, right? In this case, Microsoft is giving their customers the choice of which model is right for them. I would think that would be a good thing -- they're big enough to offer both options.

It is entirely likely that only the 365 offering is provided for free to that student through their school.
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat

"Perhaps the true book is the one on the far side of the prism."

devinganger
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:31 am Post

Yes, because the school is paying for the O365 hosted license that includes the Office Pro Plus subscription item. As long as the student has an active account with that license option, they'll have access.

Same with businesses.

Or you can pay $99/year for a family Office 365 for Home subscription, which allows you to install Office on up to 5 PC/Macs and 5 mobile devices. Or pay one of the other lesser subscription fees for single-user, student/teacher discount, etc.

Or you can pay to purchase the standalone version of Office and keep that running on your PC/Mac until it doesn't run anymore.
--
Devin L. Ganger
Devin on Earth: http://www.devinonearth.com/
Plotter on the streets, pantser in the sheets

de
derick

Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:22 pm Post

I have nearly 600,000 words in Ulysses and its search is lightning fast on Mac and iOS. Well worth a couple bucks a month at this point for me.