Anything to share about Scrivener 3.0?

cg
cgorsu
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:56 pm
Platform: Mac

Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:09 pm Post

The updated interface is beautiful and streamlined (so pretty!) However the new throwback Aqua-style metal/glossy icon seemed a bit out of place on my dock, so I made a flat-ified replacement icon which I think works better with my other app icons (and I smoothed out the curves on the "S" a bit). It isn't perfect, but if anyone else wants a flatter version of the icon, you can grab mine here: http://www.pi8el.com/files/downloads/Sc ... atIcon.png

Li
ListeningGarden
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:19 am
Platform: Windows

Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:12 pm Post

cgorsu wrote:The updated interface is beautiful and streamlined (so pretty!) However the new throwback Aqua-style metal/glossy icon seemed a bit out of place on my dock, so I made a flat-ified replacement icon which I think works better with my other app icons (and I smoothed out the curves on the "S" a bit). It isn't perfect, but if anyone else wants a flatter version of the icon, you can grab mine here: http://www.pi8el.com/files/downloads/Sc ... atIcon.png


I agree about the app icon. I fully expected it to follow the color scheme of the cafe crema icon revealed months back and used for branding around the website. The flat design and simplistic nature are much more fitting, considering 3.0's focus on modern design aesthetics. IMO, the metal and glossy icon isn't fitting at all.

User avatar
KB
Site Admin
Posts: 19198
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:23 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Truro, Cornwall
Contact:

Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:16 pm Post

Ha ha, I wondered how long it would take for someone to complain about the icon. Every single time any app changes its icon, someone dislikes it! It took us a long, loooong time to find an icon we really liked. I disagree that it is Aqua or a throwback, because we were careful to use flat colours. We tried a simple black "S" on a white disc and we all just found it really boring. Of course, aesthetics are subjective, and fortunately we've had overwhelmingly positive feedback on the icon so far - the main thing is that you like the app itself!
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

er
erokar
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:23 pm

Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:37 pm Post

I converted a largeish novel project to Scrivener 3 today and kept on writing. Really like the changes in 3.0! Favorite new feature thus far:Arrange by label (thread view, as I think of it as). All I can say is congrats and thanks for a stellar product!

Lu
LuckyJack
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:39 am
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:17 pm Post

KB wrote:Ha ha, I wondered how long it would take for someone to complain about the icon. Every single time any app changes its icon, someone dislikes it! It took us a long, loooong time to find an icon we really liked. I disagree that it is Aqua or a throwback, because we were careful to use flat colours. We tried a simple black "S" on a white disc and we all just found it really boring. Of course, aesthetics are subjective, and fortunately we've had overwhelmingly positive feedback on the icon so far - the main thing is that you like the app itself!


I am simply beside myself. Version 3 looks as awesome as you would expect, but now I have to get new shoes to go with the icon, and that means a new bag, and that means a new hat.

Does L&L offer rebates for fashion upgrades?

wi
windy71
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:34 pm
Platform: Mac

Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:25 pm Post

@brookster

Thanks, had no idea that was possible in v2, much appreciated.

sc
scshrugged
Posts: 184
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:55 pm
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:50 pm Post

I've upgraded, skimmed V3 app and its manual -- well done! What a day for everyone involved. Impressive.

Well, erm, there is this one thing (About Us > Headshots > Head with a Hat) that caused me eye squint and created a song loop––#308 of Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time––in me head. MAKE IT STOP! :cry:

Co
Cougar
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:20 am

Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:57 pm Post

KB wrote:Ha ha, I wondered how long it would take for someone to complain about the icon. Every single time any app changes its icon, someone dislikes it! It took us a long, loooong time to find an icon we really liked. I disagree that it is Aqua or a throwback, because we were careful to use flat colours. We tried a simple black "S" on a white disc and we all just found it really boring. Of course, aesthetics are subjective, and fortunately we've had overwhelmingly positive feedback on the icon so far - the main thing is that you like the app itself!


I don't like the gloss/metal either, but the real reason I don't like it is that it's yet another circle...Steam, Safari, iTunes, Photos, App Store...they all blend together.

Custom shapes are also easier to differentiate. It *used* to be part of the HIG, many moons ago.

User avatar
KB
Site Admin
Posts: 19198
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:23 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Truro, Cornwall
Contact:

Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:02 am Post

Bah, can't please everyone; no point even trying.

LuckyJack - glad you like it, but I'm afraid we cannot provide discounts for sartorial complements. :)
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

cg
cgorsu
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:56 pm
Platform: Mac

Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:02 am Post

KB wrote:I disagree that it is Aqua or a throwback, because we were careful to use flat colours.


Oh the app is great enough that it doesn't matter! :D But c'mon, at least admit that icon is retro. Case in point: here's a screenshot from my daughter's ancient iMac... too bad it won't run on it, ha! :wink:

Image

User avatar
gr
Posts: 1596
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:57 am
Platform: Mac + iOS
Location: Florida

Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:54 am Post

KB wrote:LuckyJack - glad you like it, but I'm afraid we cannot provide discounts for sartorial complements. :)


Unless what you are looking for is a dapper three-scapple suit.
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat

"Perhaps the true book is the one on the far side of the prism."

Pe
PerlinP
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:17 pm
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:57 am Post

cgorsu wrote:
KB wrote:I disagree that it is Aqua or a throwback, because we were careful to use flat colours.


Oh the app is great enough that it doesn't matter! :D But c'mon, at least admit that icon is retro. Case in point: here's a screenshot from my daughter's ancient iMac... too bad it won't run on it, ha! :wink:

I like the new icon very much.

Moreover, those two icons perfectly fit together on my dock, side by side :
Image
(subliminal message about the future S3 development) :lol: `

PS : the new website is awesome too. Very classy ! Congratulations.

User avatar
nontroppo
Posts: 761
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:22 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Airstrip One

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:41 am Post

Well, Scrivener 4 (weaponized version™©) apparently has a holographic 3D projected icon which uses augmented reality and brain-machine interfacing via phase-coherence quantum oscillometry to dynamically adapt to the subjective preferences of each government agent, um, I mean writer...

Tu
Turgon
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:40 pm
Platform: Mac

Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:31 pm Post

How happy is thomas.rabenstein today?
;)

User avatar
gr
Posts: 1596
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:57 am
Platform: Mac + iOS
Location: Florida

Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:00 pm Post

I do like how, on this new forum layout, every conversation is an exchange between characters from the Periodic Table of Elements -- discussing fundamental matters, of course.

Grnesium
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat

"Perhaps the true book is the one on the far side of the prism."