Anything to share about Scrivener 3.0?

Ki
Kinsey
Platform: Mac

Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:37 pm Post

Just £25 for the upgrade?! Judging by the fever pitch here, you could have charged multiples of that.

My purchase of Scrivener in March 2012 was, hands down, the best €36.03 (I was a student at the time) I ever spent. Looking forward to 3.0, would have paid at least the same again for it.

Lu
LuckyJack
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:09 am Post

derick wrote:Well Devonthink's UI makes Scrivener 2 UI look cutting edge.

The Devonthink metadata panel looks just like a Finder inspector from OS 10.5 or so. It allows tagging but the tag entry window 1) is tiny and 2) doesn't resize to content. Just a nice clean custom metadata panel would really help. I can display tags in a List view, but they are not editable. Documents don't remember their zoom and there's no way to set a default zoom level so every time I open something I need to increase the zoom. Devs. were totally unresponsive when I mentioned the zoom issue, which seems so basic I can't imagine how it got through this many versions without being fixed.

I ditched it & haven't looked back. It seems like a relic from pre-Spotlight, pre-Mavericks file tags days.

There isn't much I'd argue with, except to say Devonthink helps with my business records. It has utility for me, even if it's an ugly duckling, and it's reliable.

"Replicating" a file is like a symlink, except you can delete either end without deleting the other. Tagging is better than filesystem tagging, because I can have a separate set of tags in each Devonthink file/database. You actually can edit tags in tag view, but it's indirect. You do a "get info" on a tag and you can rename it there.

For creative brainstorming, I'm tempted to have another go at The Brain. On the other hand, MindNode is a more polished application. It's a traditional mind map, but well done. And cheaper, and I already have it.

Mi
MikeGardiner

Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:14 am Post

For what it's worth, you can add me to the list of people who jumped ship to Apple purely for Scrivener.

It turns out I love the MacOS experience, but Apple has L&L to thank for the purchase of a MacBook Pro last month. I'm already thinking of getting an iMac for writing at home, and probably an iPhone when my current phone contract is up, for Scrivening on the go.

Well done L&L, and bring on Monday!

br
brookter

Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:22 am Post

derick wrote:Well Devonthink's UI makes Scrivener 2 UI look cutting edge.

How long ago did you ditch it? I think they've fixed most if not all of those issues (and have for some time). It still doesn't look 'modern', but that doesn't bother me too much personally. I'd rather that than Omnifocus which produced a new, modern, and less useful version just to look cool.

But as a nod to the topic of the thread: Scrivener V3 offers both a lot of improvements in functions and it looks very nice too...

br
brookter

Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:30 am Post

LuckyJack wrote:You actually can edit tags in tag view, but it's indirect. You do a "get info" on a tag and you can rename it there.

Depends what you mean by 'Tag View'. Tags are just Groups behind the scene, so the same methods work with both (mostly...), including just pressing Enter to rename them.

In View as Tags (cmd-6), just click on the tag then press Enter and you can rename it in situ.

In the Tag Bar at the bottom of the document, right click on a tag and choose 'Reveal' which will open a new window with the tag highlighted. Press Enter and rename it there. Ctl-w to close the new window and you're back in the original document's Tag Bar.

Ar
Argoed
Platform: Windows

Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:37 pm Post

Bivalve wrote:
KB wrote:At this rate a sheep dip launch party sounds about right!

Huh? Must be a British thing. Maybe Kiwi's will understand this. First of all, does sheep dip taste a little bit like blue cheese? I like feta. Is it like that? Do you eat this with chips? Please translate for us poor unwashed shellfish.

edit: Oh. I just read the last few posts, instead of just the last one. Hmm. Clear as mud.

Sheep dip is a lanolin infused brew. Very popular in Cornwall and parts of Wales. If you are ever in the UK on business or pleasure, and find yourself in a nice country pub, be sure to ask, "Could I have a pint of that sheep dip you call beer?" I guarantee you will be the talk of the pub.

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:49 pm Post

Argoed wrote:If you are ever in the UK on business or pleasure, and find yourself in a nice country pub, be sure to ask, "Could I have a pint of that sheep dip you call beer?" I guarantee you will be the talk of the pub.

I have the distinct impression your intentions are not purely altruistic :)
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

gr

Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:55 pm Post

darinb wrote:I have a *new* prediction for the release of Scrivener 3. I'm going with Monday, November 20.

Anyone care to bet against me? :)

November 20? Nah! It's going to be 20 November.

Bet's on!

gr

Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:09 pm Post

LuckyJack wrote:Hmmm.... An app to present a Scrivener project like the brain... Might have to think about that.

Geez, another Scrivener secret leaked! And so soon!! Cripes, the private beta for the neural-net Scriv-AI -- the human augmentation version of Scrivener -- is still just a twinkle in Keith's eye.

Lu
LuckyJack

Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:47 pm Post

Monday. I can do this. Deep breaths, three days, just 26,000 seconds to go.

25,985 seconds.

Weak.... Must continue...

If anyone finds this, know that I would have departed this Earth with style, if only I had made it to Monday. And style sheets.

25,970 seconds.

Fate can't be denied. It's harsh but all those who dared the frontier before me accepted what came.

Now I'm hearing a lonesome cowboy's song...

All day I've faced the barren waste, without the taste of water...

25,955 seconds.... It's true, the light, it's so beautiful...

Ca
Cath

Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:31 pm Post

Monday? Woohoo!

Oh wait... you did mean my Monday right? You wouldn't tell a girl a great big whopper and then make her wait until Tuesday, that would not be very nice Keith.... lol

kewms

Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:14 pm Post

Cath wrote:Monday? Woohoo!

Oh wait... you did mean my Monday right? You wouldn't tell a girl a great big whopper and then make her wait until Tuesday, that would not be very nice Keith.... lol

Monday UK time.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

jc
jcarman

Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:11 am Post

UK time. UK time. As a famous scrivener once said; "I prefer not to". :)

pe
pete66

Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:38 am Post

As everyone else, I'm really looking forward to Scrivener 3 - the new features that have been blogged about look fantastic! Apologies if I've missed it, but one feature I haven't seen mentioned is the full-screen composition mode. I don't have any complaints about the way the current version looks and works...just wondered if it was being changed at all?

au
auxbuss

Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:24 am Post

Two more sleeps!