Stack option doesn't respect notes order

De
DemieLune
Platform: Windows

Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:59 pm Post

Hello,
I'm working on a "i-wanna-be a timeline" (since I can't find a software that I like for that, I'm using Scapple as a walk-around), so stacking is a kind of important option for this project.

But every time I stack my colons, Scapple changes the order of the notes... which ruins the whole thing: the order in a timeline is essential! I do survive doing the walk-around of placing them with the keyboard "move" option one-by-on, but it doubles the time I spend working on this, simply for the placement. I really think that "stacking" should respect the order on which the user is placing each note, so I believe this is a bug...

Thank you :)
Super great software beside ;) :mrgreen:

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:48 am Post

Would it be possible to post a sample before & after, either in a .scap file (just duplicate some notes, and then stack them the way you normally do) or with screenshots? I don’t know what “stacking colons” means, either.

I really think that “stacking” should respect the order on which the user is placing each note, so I believe this is a bug…

Perhaps, because that is how it is designed to work. The first note you select will become the note that all of the others are stacked beneath, and the only thing that determines the order is how far away those notes are from that first one. Thus in most cases the result will be intuitive. The nearest note will be first, and the furthest note will be last in the list, with everything else in between. So you can get some ambiguous results if you spaces two notes out evenly, there is no way for the software to figure out what you meant by that, but I can't imagine a timeline would have a bunch of notes in a perfect circle, unless you have cooler timelines than I'm anticipating. :)
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

De
DemieLune

Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:16 pm Post

Thank you for your quick answer! :)
Alright, I have reproduced what I did yesterday.
So, it looked something like this:

So, I wanted to have all the dates aligned, so I click on "stack" and I had 2 different possible scenario.
Either it was inverting "ascending/descending order" like this:

So I do "undo" to step backward and click "stack" again, but this time, it's all mixed, like this:

Or this:

I don't understand why the software doesn't respect the order that I placed them to begin with :|

AmberV

Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:22 pm Post

I think you might need to adjust the permissions on your screenshots. They just show up as a round circle with a line through it for me even after I allow Google to load content on this page.

Note we do have an attachment feature that may be easier to use, at the bottom of the post form is an "Upload Attachment" tab.
Ioa Petra'ka

De
DemieLune

Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:21 pm Post

Alright, let's try this. :)
So this should be the first one.

So this one is the "un-stack" line of dates.
Attachments
Stack1.jpg
Stack1.jpg (258.35 KiB) Viewed 457 times
Last edited by DemieLune on Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

De
DemieLune

Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:28 pm Post

And here are three different result that I can get, when I try to stack into one column. As you can see, the order that I've placed each node (date) is being changed.

Stack 4 (the first image) is in ascending order like I want, but the nodes are mixed...
Stack 3 (in the middle) is in descending order, but mixed
Stack 2 (which appears last) is in descending order (I want it the other way around)
Attachments
Stack4.jpg
stack 4
Stack4.jpg (121.86 KiB) Viewed 453 times
Stack3.jpg
Stack 3
Stack3.jpg (187.34 KiB) Viewed 453 times
Stack2.jpg
Stack 2:
Stack2.jpg (130.83 KiB) Viewed 453 times

AmberV

Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:40 pm Post

So for example, in the first screenshot, if you select [–1’555] and then Shift-drag to select all of the rest of the notes below it, then use the stacking menu command, you get these odd results? I can get results like that, but only if I pick random notes in the middle or toward the end of the list as the first stacking note.

If you are selecting the top note and then the rest after that, then maybe try cleaning it up a bit. That shouldn’t make a difference, but maybe align all of these notes on their left edges, and then distribute them vertically. That might end up looking good enough for what you want, all by itself, if you don’t need the specific features a Stack provides.

Here is a simple recreation of your first screenshot, showing where to click and the actual result that I get when I stack these notes. (Note I’m on a Mac, so if you are doing exactly what I’m describing and getting a different result, then you may have found a Windows bug):

Ioa Petra'ka