image movement lag

Je
Jeff_Writer
Platform: Windows

Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:46 pm Post

I hadn't tried dragging web images into Scapple until the latest version (0.9.0.1), but when moving images around, it seems to slow Scapple to a crawl.

I've dropped some images (jpegs) from the web into a file. Some of them move around fairly quickly, and others do not. I'm assuming this has to do with the size of the image, but I have no way to check since I can't seem to check the properties while in Scapple itself.

When I have trouble moving an image, here's what happens:
I click and drag, and wait for Scapple to show the ghost image, to show me where I will drag the image, but it usually never comes. Instead, I'll get the message next to the program title "Not Responding". When the program does catch up, the image is sometimes moved and sometimes not moved.

In short, the images either don't move, or I can't see where I'm moving them until the program catches up to my commands, and either way it slows to a crawl and won't accept further input from mouse or keyboard until it starts responding again.

Like I said, I didn't mess around with dropping images into Scapple until the latest version, so I don't know if this was present before. As far as I know, all images are jpegs and nothing too large, and the file I dragged them into was a brand new file with only one or two text notes besides the images. (And we're talking less than 10 images total). In addition to having a few Scapple files open, I also have Firefox and Scrivener running.

I hope this information helps! I couldn't find anything elsewhere in the forum that spoke to this problem. Thanks!

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:52 pm Post

The size of the image will affect this, so I would take a look at the images you're copying out of the webpages; try saving them separately to your hard drive and checking the information on them before bringing them to the Scapple board. An 1024x768 image of nearly 1MB may lag a bit in the ghost image appearing compared to a 350x256 image of 350KB. I wasn't able to reproduce the temporary freeze you're seeing, but the image file size and dimensions and machine specs (available memory, etc.) could account for this. If you find some of the images you're bringing in are excessively large, try resizing them in a graphics program (Paint should do fine) and dragging in the adjusted image to see if that speeds things up.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Je
Jeff_Writer
Platform: Windows

Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:15 pm Post

Thanks!

I think it does boil down to image size and processor, memory, other open programs, etc. After dragging the images into a folder and checking the file sizes prior to dragging images into Scapple, it looks like I can move anything small fairly quickly and easily, while anything 1 MB or over tends to slow it down. Upwards of 3 or 4 MB and it just crawls. But 100 KB or less seems okay. I guess I'll have to resize the images first, like you suggested.