Scapple Trees go Flat in Scrivener (Forest Lump)

sj
sjk
Platform: Windows

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:35 am Post

i must be wrong on this one, really stumped...

but i cannot find a way for my carefully grown Scapple trees (representing all the relationships that Scapple is designed to foster) to branch across into Scrivener in anything but a flat as a board file, a single level binder, i lifeless clearcut, a very shallow relationship, one dimensional lumber.

cannot see the woods for the trees on this one...

i woulds like to see the trees. is there a way?

or where is the will to find a way?
Last edited by sjk on Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windows 7 pro, 64bit, 8gb, amd e2-1800 apu w radeon hd graphics, 1.70 ghz
scrivener 1 6 1 0 , scapple 1 0 0 0

Fr
FredInChina
Platform: Mac

Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:24 am Post

Scapple doesn't know hierarchy, only relationship :)

sj
sjk

Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:22 pm Post

hello,

still wrestling with this issue and addressed it in the Windows Feedback forum under topic "FREE-FORM CORKBOARD vs Scapple (godzilla vs mothra).

any comment/perspective/ideas would be appreciated.

thanks

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:16 pm Post

I haven't tested this yet, but I think it was recently fixed so that notes overlapping shapes would be nested in folders together, in effect simulating hierarchy from Scapple. So if you draw a shape around five notes, those would be grouped together in a folder when you drag them over. Thus a final stage in the Scapple file could be "grouping" things in this manner. If that doesn't work yet, it should be soon (these sorts of things have to be implemented from both programs).
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

sj
sjk

Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:30 am Post

hello,

well - good news that this is under consideration. so i tried it.

no matter how i nested shapes and notes within shapes with more notes in all kinds of combinations, when dragged over to scrivener the result was a single-level binder outline. flat file.

thus...

- i must be misunderstanding how to structure the scapple map so that it stays multi-level in scrivener
or
- its not working yet.

thanks. looking forward to figuring this one out.

AmberV

Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:43 am Post

Okay, drag and drop will probably require a Scrivener update. Try exporting the Scapple document as OPML, and then importing that into Scrivener. This worked for me in a test of 1.6.
Ioa Petra'ka

sj
sjk

Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:46 am Post

YES!

now we're talkin'. pulled a test scapple map with embedded shapes/notes over to scrivener using OPML and they maintained hierarchy in a scrivener binder multi-level outline. ok.

in the scrivener binder outline, the shapes/titles were rather generically named shape1, shape2, shape3... but i can work with that. as long as the hierarchy is there.

thanks!

AmberV

Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:48 am Post

Yeah, shapes are non-named entities in Scapple, so just using some kind of generic sequence is the best thing to do here. We'll get dragging working soon, but for now that should sort it out.
Ioa Petra'ka

tiho_d
Platform: Linux + Windows

Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:12 am Post

To drag and drop nested objects from Scapple into Scrivener you need a Scrivener update. This functionality is already available and will be available with the next Scrivener update. Meanwhile as AmberV properly suggested, one must go through the Scapple OPML export and Scrivener OPML import functionality.

Marta

Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:05 pm Post

sjk wrote:hello,
- i must be misunderstanding how to structure the scapple map so that it stays multi-level in scrivener
or
- its not working yet.

have you considered making it a "project reference" in Scrivener?
Marta
Scrivener 1.9.7.0
http://www.spookyfilms.com

sj
sjk

Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:42 pm Post

thank you marta.

and yes, i do find myself moving reguarly between scrivener and scapple windows. great tools. project references help greatly in connecting scriv and scap.

im just a dreamer and could imagine a scrivnapple (scapner, scrapple, scripple...) tool where the relationships established between scapple notes are mirrored directly into scrivener... with the push of a button. almost like... like... like the binder outline view is optionally replaced with a scapple map.

you may say i'm a dreamer. but maybe I'm not the only one. i hope someday they'll join scrivener and scapple. and the scrivning world will be more fun.

freeform corkboard just might do that... but we dont have that just yet.

thanks for the suggestion!

Marta

Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:40 pm Post

sjk wrote:im just a dreamer and could imagine a scrivnapple (scapner, scrapple, scripple...) tool where the relationships established between scapple notes are mirrored directly into scrivener... with the push of a button. almost like... like... like the binder outline view is optionally replaced with a scapple map.

you may say i'm a dreamer. but maybe I'm not the only one. i hope someday they'll join scrivener and scapple. and the scrivning world will be more fun.

freeform corkboard just might do that... but we dont have that just yet.

thanks for the suggestion!

I'm not a programmer, but that sounds like a very complicated program to create. If so, it might make the price shoot way up.

PS -- I do love your musical allusion :)
Marta
Scrivener 1.9.7.0
http://www.spookyfilms.com

AmberV

Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:38 am Post

Indeed, there are a couple of problems with the idea. It sounds good on paper, but once you start mapping out what that really meanings to have two completely different programs in the same interface, or even perfectly sharing data, it falls apart.

I guess a quick and practical way of putting it is: if this idea did work perfectly with Scrivener, then why would we have made a separate program for the idea at all? Why not just beef up the freeform corkboard idea? The reason there is a separate program is because it is a completely different idea than Scrivener, and for a completely different purpose and type of thinking.
Ioa Petra'ka