Bugs - Windows version Scapple

te
terryshannon
Platform: Windows

Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:54 pm Post

There appears to be no inheritance of styles or width.
    If you resize a note, there is no telling what dimensions it has been resized to.
    Text Styles not applied to new notes. Text styles not applied when 'Apply Note Style'. Text styles don't show up correctly in 'Inspector'.
    CTRL-RETURN does not make a note of the same size and text style
    If you double click on a new empty note then left click on an existing note, the existing note is removed.
    No automatic alignment.
    Inconsistent Terminology: Font style in 'New Note' dialogue is referred to as Text style in 'Inspector'.
    Observe some sluggishness in resizing window.

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:31 pm Post

Moderator note: Moved to the Scapple Beta for Windows forum (please post bugs for the Windows version in the Beta forum until it is released). Many thanks for reporting bugs, the Windows team will take a look as soon as possible.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:08 pm Post

Most of the bugs mentioned here have been fixed for the next update. To expand on a few:

terryshannon wrote:There appears to be no inheritance of styles or width.

CTRL-RETURN does not make a note of the same size and text style

Note styles are only inherited if "Use selected note style for new notes" is enabled in the General tab of Options, and then applies only to new stacked or connected notes when there is a selected note. There is a bug here though in that connected notes are not currently picking up the style, and this has been fixed for the next update. Some text styles were also being incorrectly passed, and this has likewise been fixed; only text colour and size should be inherited, since they apply to the entire note, whereas bold, italic, etc. styles can apply to ranges of text within the note.

Note width is not an inherited value; new notes always use the default width set in the New Notes tab of Options.

No automatic alignment.

You can set the default text alignment in the Options under New Notes. Stacked notes will be automatically aligned based on the text alignment. There is no other automatic alignment in Scapple, since it is designed to be completely freeform. You can however select multiple notes and choose any of the options in the Notes > Align submenu to align the notes based on the first note selected.

Inconsistent Terminology: Font style in 'New Note' dialogue is referred to as Text style in 'Inspector'.

Which is the "New Note" dialogue you're referring to?
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

te
terryshannon
Platform: Windows

Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:09 pm Post

Hi, MM

Thanks for the response.
In reply to your question "Which is the "New Note" dialogue you're referring to?", my apologies. I couldn't find this either and was beginning to doubt my own sanity. However, I think it is the "New Note Style" dialogue I am referring to. The "New Note Style" dialogue which is called from Format->Note Style->New Note Style from Selection. This dialogue also suggests that 'size' can be included as part of the style, which suggests that it can be inherited. Or am I making an erroneous assumption?

I understand why you have not included text styles in the inheritance but I, for instance, use a font called DigitalStrip which is used in comic strip dialogue. It appeals to me for story boarding etc. but it is available only in uppercase. It looks best in bold italic, so it would be nice to have the choice of having text styles inherited instead of having to set it to bold italic every time I start a new note. I know I may be only one person in a million, but if it is at all possible it would be nice. If it is not going to be allowed, I think 'Include font size and style' should be reduced to 'Include font', unless I'm misunderstanding.

Finally, while I'm going on about bugs I'm forgetting to say I love this and I think you're on the right track in keeping it simple. I would hope that the design team will always think long and hard before adding any bells and whistles. I hope 'SIMPLICITY' will be your watchword! Thanks.

Terry Shannon.

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:29 pm Post

Sorry for the late reply here!

The "New Note Style" dialogue which is called from Format->Note Style->New Note Style from Selection.

Ah, I see what you're saying. I've passed this on.

This dialogue also suggests that 'size' can be included as part of the style, which suggests that it can be inherited. Or am I making an erroneous assumption?

The size (width, in the case of notes; height and width for shapes) can be saved as part of a Note Style, but as it is a less frequently desired setting it is not part of the default settings and is not inherited; the Note Style needs to be explicitly applied to the selected note. You can also resize a set of notes quickly by selecting them together and dragging the edge of one, proportionally adjusting all the others, or by selecting first a note with the width you want, then selecting the other notes and choosing Notes > Make Same Width.

I, for instance, use a font called DigitalStrip which is used in comic strip dialogue. It appeals to me for story boarding etc. but it is available only in uppercase. It looks best in bold italic, so it would be nice to have the choice of having text styles inherited instead of having to set it to bold italic every time I start a new note.

I wonder if being able to specify a font variant for the board would work, then, or some measure of that. There'd be the problem that assigning the variant or board-wide text style after you've created notes would obliterate any existing ranges, so I'm not sure if this is one Keith will jump on even if it's technically feasible, but I've forwarded the idea. I can also see a case for inheriting the text style if the entire note uses the same text style (the way it is saved for presets), so we'll see.

I'm glad these issues haven't kept you from enjoying using Scapple! We're certainly with you on keeping it simple and focussed--development is geared toward improving the functionality and the goal of quickly and easily slapping down your ideas and moving them around, rather than adding edge features that start to drift away from that purpose.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)