Can't drag notes after creating/editing note

ga
gab
Platform: Windows

Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:12 am Post

Thanks for bringing Scapple to windows.
I just downloaded it and installed it. And tried to experiment with it a little. Creating new notes works fine, but right from the beginning I could not drag notes. I tried it out and it seems like right after I created a new note, I could not move anything. When I switch to another program and then back to Scapple, I can drag notes again. But after creating a new note, the same problem. Moving notes with the keyboard works in any situation.
Edit:
It seems like dragging doesn't work without creating a note. It doesn't work most of the time.
Doesn't work when after editing note also.
Works again after switching programs via keyboard, switching programs with the mouse doesn't help.

Gabriel
Samsung 900X3D
Win 7

tiho_d
Platform: Linux + Windows

Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:24 am Post

This is pretty unexpected, gab and we have never experience it. Have in mind that you can drag notes, only if they are not into an editing state. Can you please describe step by step your mouse movements, mouse clicks/double-clicks and mouse position.

ga
gab

Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:48 am Post

I think it is not directly connected, to what I do in scapple, but some conflict with another software in the background.

There is the simple steps I did:

Open scapple.
Press enter for the beta expiration notice.
Double-click where my mouse was previously located.
Write something.
Press esc.
Move mouse slightly to the right to activate moving (on the left it simply alters the size of the note).
No dragging.

I tried it with a fresh reboot. It seemed to work in the beginning. Then my text-expansion program "breevy" loaded in the background. And then it seemed to block dragging. I close breevy, it works, I reopen breevy, it still works.
Did not experience problems with dragging and breevy with other software yet.
Samsung 900X3D
Win 7

tiho_d
Platform: Linux + Windows

Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:06 am Post

From your explanation it seems like the left mouse button is "stuck", as you can resize the note without click-and-move, but simple mouse move. It surely sounds like something wrong is going on between "breevy" and Scapple. We might give this app combination a try in our test lab. Happy that after restarting "Breevy" you can use Scapple normally. A bit of inconvenience, but will get you running until we sort it out. Please, let us know if you find something new about it. Thanks!

ga
gab

Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:27 pm Post

Yes, I am happy that I can use it after restarting Breevy. I played around with Scapple a little today and it is really amazing!! I tried to do stuff like that with Mind-Mapping, Networking and Diagramming Software but gave it on it because it was too unflexible and slow. Working with Scapple is a breeze. Well done! Hope that we can sort out this little inconvenience with Breevy.
Samsung 900X3D
Win 7

garpu
Platform: Linux

Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:53 pm Post

I've had this happen to me, as well, and I don't use breevy. I find if I close/open the project, it'll work normally again. I haven't been able to reliably make it happen, though.

(MS wireless mouse? I've had issues with things thinking the transceiver is another keyboard or gamepad.)
Slackware 64-bit 14.2, XFCE

ga
gab

Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:04 pm Post

I use a laptop with the inbuilt touchpad, so no wireless mouse here.
Samsung 900X3D
Win 7

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:20 pm Post

garpu wrote:(MS wireless mouse? I've had issues with things thinking the transceiver is another keyboard or gamepad.)

If you have it happen again try enabling Edit > Arrow Keys Move Notes (Alt+M) and then using the keyboard to move the notes around. That will at least determine whether the problem is movement entirely or specifically with the mouse drag. (It wouldn't mean the fault is particularly your mouse, just the drag action.)
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

garpu

Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:21 pm Post

Arrow keys work fine, albeit slowly. (I'm assuming that's normal?) I can make connections between notes with menu entries fine, even when I'm having trouble dragging things.

I can reproduce the drag issues, though. If I've got a project open and it works, opening a second while keeping the first open will cause the new one to have problems dragging notes. If I open and close the new project, I'll eventually be able to drag notes around.

Actually, what happens is that it'll jump around the page to where the mouse is, although I don't see a change in cursor or the notes actually moving. (The cursor disappears once I grab a note I want to move.) It seems to happen more when I have 2 scapple projects open, or Scapple and Scrivener.

ga
gab

Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:44 am Post

Upgraded to beta 2. Problem with breevy still there.
Samsung 900X3D
Win 7

garpu

Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:50 pm Post

Same for me on the 2nd beta version, also the drag and drop problems from Scrivener are still there.

MimeticMouton

Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:35 am Post

I've tried running Scapple 0.9.0.1 with the trial of Breevy 3.28 installed and running on Win7 64-bit, but I haven't duplicated the problem of the notes not dragging following the steps posted up thread. Is there a specific ordering of events, when Breevy is loaded and when Scapple is loaded, that reproduces the issue? I tried starting Breevy after Scapple was running and vice versa but it didn't appear to make a difference.

What version of Windows are you using?
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

ga
gab

Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:12 pm Post

Thanks for concerning this issue. I use Win7 Home 64bit.
The problem occurs when Breevy is started automatically with Windows.
Samsung 900X3D
Win 7

garpu

Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:18 pm Post

Woohoo! Not having the dragging issue I was having with Scapple. (dragging/dropping between it and Scrivener is still problematic, but I don't think that's Scapple or Scrivener's bug...) (This is with 0.9.0.)

MimeticMouton

Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:15 pm Post

garpu wrote:Woohoo! Not having the dragging issue I was having with Scapple. (dragging/dropping between it and Scrivener is still problematic, but I don't think that's Scapple or Scrivener's bug...)

Oh good! The Scriv/Scapple drag is a WINE thing; we tried to address it with changes to how the drag was happening in an earlier build, but that didn't seem to do it so we're a little stuck with that. I'm glad at least the internal dragging is working for you now.

Still need to do some further testing with Breevy to see if I can repro the issue on that, so I'll update again when I've had a chance to fuss with it some more.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)