[Feature Request] - Key modifiers while dragging objects

mi
mikehawkes
Platform: Mac

Wed May 22, 2013 12:28 pm Post

Hi - loving Scapple. I wondered if you could add a couple of key modifiers to help when dragging an object - Shift+Drag locks the objects being dragged to either horizontal or vertical dragging (I know I can select my objects, hit 'M', and then use shift+arrow keys to do this, but ... )

Thanks lots.
Mike

KB
Site Admin

Wed May 22, 2013 7:19 pm Post

Hi Mike,

Glad you're liking Scapple! This is actually something I added to the list as a possibility myself. There are a couple of problems, though:

(1) Shift is already used a shortcut when dropping notes on top of one another, so that would conflict.

(2) Scapple uses the standard OS X drag-and-drop methods (which are built into the core view system), which don't provide a way of "locking" the position of the drag image (the code just creates an image for the drag, and then the OS X drag system moves that image with the mouse). So I'm not sure how feasible it is without using a completely different drag and drop system.

As I say, it is on my list for consideration and further investigation, though.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

mi
mikehawkes

Thu May 23, 2013 4:38 pm Post

How could anyone not love it!

No worries ... I use Adobe tools a lot and find myself automatically going for the Shift+Drag to lock things (particularly with stacks) to keep everything aligned. I can work around it with the keyboard. I hope you can squeeze it in somewhere though.

Thanks again.
Mike