Link Background Shapes to Common Notes

No
Nobby
Platform: Mac

Tue May 21, 2013 4:32 pm Post

Hi Keith,

everyday I found a new application field for Scapple - I like it very much! :D
One problem seems the link from plain notes to background shapes with a couple of notes in it:
It is no problem to drag and drop a background shape on a common note (hitting the alt-Key to get an arrow from the background shape to that note). Vice versa it is a problem: Drag and drop a common note to a background shape only copying the note (when I press the alt-Key) - but no arrow is created.

Would be fine if the procedure works in both directions.

Kind regards - looking for further improvements

Nobby

KB
Site Admin

Tue May 21, 2013 5:31 pm Post

This is because when you drop a note on a background shape, it should be placed *inside* the shape. If it made a connection, it would be impossible to place notes inside background shapes, which would defeat the entire purpose of background shapes. So this is intentional behaviour.

Glad you're liking Scapple!

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue May 21, 2013 10:04 pm Post

If you want to create an arrow from a regular note to a background shape, you need to drag the background shape onto the note and hold down the inverse-arrow modifer keys: Opt-Cmd. So to get a double-arrow connection you would follow that up with an Opt-drag from the shape to the note. There isn't actually anything you cannot do between shapes and notes, you just have to always start the drag with the shape.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

No
Nobby

Wed May 22, 2013 6:11 pm Post

Thanks for your tips!
It's working...

Kind regards
Nobby

Mo
Moothor

Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:14 pm Post

Hi,
"to create an arrow from a regular note to a background shape, you need to drag the background shape onto the note and hold down the inverse-arrow modifer keys: Opt-Cmd."
doesn't work for me. (OS X)
I only got the Marquee selection with Opt.-Cmd and could not move the Background Shape?

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:46 pm Post

The modifier keys should be pressed after you start dragging. There is often a difference between holding down a key on your keyboard and clicking, and clicking and then holding down a key while dragging. It is unfortunately a bit inconsistent, speaking in terms of all the ways in which modifier keys interact with clicking and dragging on a Mac, so it’s good to just keep that in mind and try the method if the first way doesn’t work.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles