Scapple - New Beta Available (Updated 19/03/13)

Yg
Ygdrasill
Platform: Mac

Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:27 pm Post

AmberV wrote:Can you unzip other files? If not, it sounds like your unzip program is jammed up. Try repairing permissions and rebooting, then trying again.

Oh, I finally did it. :mrgreen: It must have been something to do with Firefox because when I downloaded it using Safari, it downloaded straight away and it let me open it. Phew... tomorrow I can now take a look at it and see what it can do.

Thank you for replying ... I really appreciate it.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:08 am Post

Ah, it must have failed to completely download in Firefox and then never recovered. I've seen that happen before as well and usually restarting the browser fixes it. Glad you got it downloaded.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

bj
bjørn

Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:07 am Post

I don’t know if it’s only me – but I’m unable to ”Apply Note Style” to my notes in the newest version of Scapple! :(

They just refuse to change from my default, which is ”brown” with a ”cloud” border.
(The border can be changed, just nothing from the ”ANS” menu. I.e., if I choose ”pink bubble” or ”red text”, nothing happens.)

I’m on Snow Leo…

Hope you can fix this, as I really love Scapple! :)

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:24 am Post

bjørn wrote:I don’t know if it’s only me – but I’m unable to ”Apply Note Style” to my notes in the newest version of Scapple!
I’m on Snow Leo…

Yes, someone else reported this already and Keith's got it fixed for the next update; it's specific to Snow Leopard, so not just you!
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

bj
bjørn

Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:38 pm Post

Thanks, MM! (Feeling relieved and looking forward to the update…)

bj
bjørn

Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:06 pm Post

Feature Request: Option to turn off double-clicking

Hello MM and Keith,

as much as I’m in love with Scapple, it does bother me that I have to double-click all the time!
My right hand is getting tired…

To prevent heavy users from getting arthritis, how about an option to
switch from double-clicking to click-and-hold (when creating new notes)?

You want a note somewhere, you click there, and keep the mouse button pressed for one second or so…

I think many wrists and fingers would bless you if you made this possible! :D

KB
Site Admin

Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:47 pm Post

:D
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

th
thatwritergirl

Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:04 am Post

First of all, I am loving this so far!

Two comments, one bug, one desired feature:

Bug: When I click "new" to start a new scrapple screen for a different project, nothing happens. (Ditto when I try to "Duplicate"

Desired Feature: I've gotten to where I really rely on Scrivener's autosave feature. Scrapple doesn't seem to do that.

Off to play more ....

JK

bj
bjørn

Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:26 am Post

Thanks for the reply, Keith! :-)

I appreciate the smiley! However, my feature request is ”for real”.

Is making an alternative to double-clicking (for creating new notes) something you will consider?

Spitfire31

Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:12 am Post

thatwritergirl wrote:Bug: When I click "new" to start a new scrapple screen for a different project, nothing happens. (Ditto when I try to "Duplicate"
… Scrapple doesn't seem to do that.
JK

When reporting potential bugs, always state your System specs, as this s/w runs on 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8. I'm using Scapple – not "Scrapple", btw. ;-) – on 10.6.8 and 'New' works as expected.

Kind regards,

Joachim

KB
Site Admin

Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:46 am Post

thatwritergirl wrote:Bug: When I click "new" to start a new scrapple screen for a different project, nothing happens. (Ditto when I try to "Duplicate"

Please open /Applications/Utilities/Console.app and see if any errors get reported there when you try to do this - something very wrong is going on there.

Desired Feature: I've gotten to where I really rely on Scrivener's autosave feature. Scrapple doesn't seem to do that.

Scapple, being a standard OS X document-based program, uses OS X's native saving features, which means that it does autosave on Lion and Mountain Lion. If it's not autosaving for you on these platforms, then it may be related to the bug you're having where new documents aren't being created, since all of this is handled by similar mechanisms. So let's try to resolve that first.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

KB
Site Admin

Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:46 am Post

bjørn wrote:Thanks for the reply, Keith! :-)

I appreciate the smiley! However, my feature request is ”for real”.

Is making an alternative to double-clicking (for creating new notes) something you will consider?

Oops, sorry, I thought you were joking. :oops:

Sorry, no, that's probably not something I'd consider - is double-clicking really so painful? It's pretty standard across OS X and Windows for most such actions...

All the best,
Keith

th
thatwritergirl

Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:38 pm Post

Spitfire31 wrote:
… Scrapple doesn't seem to do that.
JK

When reporting potential bugs, always state your System specs, as this s/w runs on 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8. I'm using Scapple – not "Scrapple", btw. ;-) – on 10.6.8 and 'New' works as expected.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Oops! it's just such a scrappy little program :)

Anyway, I'm using 10.8.2

JK

th
thatwritergirl

Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:45 pm Post

KB wrote:

Please open /Applications/Utilities/Console.app and see if any errors get reported there when you try to do this - something very wrong is going on there.

Scapple, being a standard OS X document-based program, uses OS X's native saving features, which means that it does autosave on Lion and Mountain Lion. If it's not autosaving for you on these platforms, then it may be related to the bug you're having where new documents aren't being created, since all of this is handled by similar mechanisms. So let's try to resolve that first.

All the best,
Keith

Yes, there were error messages. I'm uploading a screenshot.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-03-06 at 8.42.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2013-03-06 at 8.42.02 AM.png (105.33 KiB) Viewed 1960 times

Simon T
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:05 pm Post

bjørn wrote:I don’t know if it’s only me – but I’m unable to ”Apply Note Style” to my notes in the newest version of Scapple! :(

Me too - I second that. Apply Note Style used to work, but no longer. I'm also on Snow Leopard. (I'd love to upgrade to the latest OS, but have you seen the price of new Macs lately?)