scapple development

qu
quercus29
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:41 pm Post

Hi. I'm new to Scapple and really like it. While I don't believe everything I read on the internet :) , someone mentioned that Scappel was no longer being developed. Before I invest time into learning the app, I just wanted to make sure its still a priority and on the development roadmaps.

Thanks!!

devinganger
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:38 pm Post

Your Internet source was wrong, as you suspected. :)

While L&L are not *currently* developing on Scapple, that is because they are currently focusing on releasing Scrivener 3.0 for Mac, after having spent time focusing on Scrivener for iOS. They have, however, indicated that they do intend to come back to Scapple when time permits and that they do have plans for it, even if they are not sharing the details of those plans with us right now (and having learned from the iOS experience, are DEFINITELY not giving dates, even interim/temporary dates).

The real question is -- does Scapple *as it it right now* meet your needs? If so, great -- buy it and use it. Although we've come to expect a constant flurry of updates from our applications, there are those rare gems that get a level of "good enough" that don't need that constant string. Scapple is not without its issues, but a lot of people find it "good enough."
--
Devin L. Ganger
Devin on Earth: http://www.devinonearth.com/
Plotter on the streets, pantser in the sheets

qu
quercus29

Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:55 pm Post

Excellent!! That's great to hear. It does work incredibly well for me as it stands, although there are some additional features I'd like to see, and figure they'll probably be added. I'll go ahead and learn it, especially as it integrates well with Scrivener, which I also use.

Like many others, I think L&L sw is some of the best around. Thanks.

Ti
Timotheus

Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:37 pm Post

"Scapple … has not been forgotten! Scrivener has taken a front seat for a long time, but once Scrivener 3 is out, we intend to spend some quality time with our Scapple code."

(from a blog by Keith Blount, 26-7-2017)
X.12.6; Scrivener; Nisus; LaTeX; Bookends; Devonthink; Lightroom.

Bo
BookCat
Platform: Windows

Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:26 pm Post

I hope they carry on supporting it but don't develop it too far. I like it as it is: simple, quick to use, and would hate to see it have so many features that it loses the very reason many users like Scapple - its simplicity.

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:59 pm Post

There’ll be a very nice (free) update to Scapple for macOS at the same time as Scrivener 3 is released. Nothing complicated, but a freshened-up inspector and UI and a very cool new way of applying note styles and creating styled notes.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

sp
spiderand

Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:10 am Post

KB wrote:There’ll be a very nice (free) update to Scapple for macOS at the same time as Scrivener 3 is released. Nothing complicated, but a freshened-up inspector and UI and a very cool new way of applying note styles and creating styled notes.

I registered on this forum just to say AWESOME to this. ^^^^

jc
jcarman

Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:57 am Post

Double the joy.

Strange how we are so happy. I remember when a Pilot pen and a college rule notebook were all I needed.

ki
kithairon
Platform: Mac

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:43 pm Post

There’ll be a very nice (free) update to Scapple for macOS at the same time as Scrivener 3 is released. Nothing complicated, but a freshened-up inspector and UI and a very cool new way of applying note styles and creating styled notes.

Very good news. Looking forward to a spruced-up inspector and new way of applying styles!