Scapple and other platforms (iOS, Windows etc)

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:06 pm Post

Seeing as we're getting a lot of questions about whether Scapple is going to be made for iOS or Windows, I figured I'd answer those questions here to save having to repeat myself.

Before continuing, it's important to bear in mind that Scapple was really my own personal pet project--it was something I wanted for my own writing. As a Mac developer, I wrote it on the Mac, and over a couple of years, in my spare time away from working on Scrivener, I polished it up for release.

At this time, most of our non-Mac resources are tied up with getting Scrivener for Windows to have feature parity with the Mac version, and with developing Scrivener for mobile devices (starting with iOS). Our existing Scrivener users certainly wouldn't thank us if we diverted development resources for these other platforms away from Scrivener. Moreover, as I write, Scapple has only just been released. We have no idea whether it will even be popular enough to justify its development on other platforms--although we hope it will be!

1. Will there be a Windows version of Scapple?

We certainly hope so. Lee, the Scrivener for Windows lead developer, is very interested in producing a version of Scapple for Windows. However, his first priority is Scrivener, and getting the Windows version up to speed with the Mac version. So any work he does on Scapple will be in his spare time, and he has very little of that right now. Scapple is a fairly simple application compared to Scrivener (although it's still tens of thousands of lines of code), but even so, it has taken me over two years to get from my initial noodlings with the idea to something that is ready for release, simply because Scrivener consumes most of my waking hours.

In other words, we really hope that there will eventually be a Windows version of Scapple, but it's too early to say when, or to make any definite plans or promises at this stage.

2. Will there be an iOS version of Scapple?

Again, we certainly hope so, but there is nothing in the pipeline at the moment, simply because all of our iOS development is currently focused on Scrivener.

I know a few users feel that Scapple would be right at home on the iPad and that we should have made it for the iPad first. However, I'm a Mac developer because I still like using my Mac for the vast majority of my writing, so I hope no one will blame me for developing software that I want to use myself before porting it to other platforms. :) Given that Scapple is the equivalent of taking a large piece of paper, or a whiteboard, and scrawling notes all over it, it generally works best on a decent-sized screen, although it is more than manageable on an 11" MBA. It's also primarily a writing application, and the Mac is a far superior writing machine than any i-device. Please note, however, that this is just my opinion--I do appreciate that some users genuinely like the iPad as a writing device! The point is just that, as the developer of Scapple, I naturally built it for the platform I use.

So, we definitely hope to produce an iOS version in the future, but for now all of our iOS resources are being poured into Scrivener for iPhone and iPad; in the meantime, please take Scapple for what it is: an app built from the ground up for the unassailed OS X.

3. Please remember that this forum is for the Mac version

Finally, I'm going to ask politely that we keep all discussion of versions of Scapple for other platforms out of the main forum--if you have any comments, please leave them as replies to this thread instead.

Finally, thank you to everyone who likes the idea of Scapple enough to want it on other platforms. We appreciate your enthusiasm, and we do hear you. We just have to be realistic about what a small company with a behemoth still in the works for other platforms (Scrivener) can do when it comes to porting an app that has only just gone on sale.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

hi
hillj

Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:35 pm Post

Thanks for your clear and reasonable explanation, Keith. Gladly accepted...although I'm one of those who thinks there is a good future for Scapple, both on the Mac (first) and then on the iPad. I hope that both will evolve and wish you very well for your great work.  

- Hill

KB
Site Admin

Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:54 pm Post

Thanks for the kind words! I certainly hope you are right, and I really do hope it works out so that we are able to provide Scapple on other platforms, including iOS, in the future.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Merovech

Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:36 pm Post

And here I was going to say, "the perfect place for Scrapple would be on the tablet/handheld." Especially if it sync'd via Dropbox to the desktop. I'm about to go to a meeting where I will have a lot of idle time. I just transferred some 2'x2' post-its (yes, feet not inches) for a story concept I've been tinkering with. I'm a paper guy, but Scrapple actually made it easier to tweak ideas...

I would love to continue the momentum while at an otherwise less-productive meeting...

KB
Site Admin

Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:47 pm Post

Well, if you can find us an iOS developer and pay for his or her time... :)

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:14 pm Post

Where do you find 2 elbow/feet/torso/whatever sized Post-It notes? :!:
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Merovech

Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:09 am Post

KB wrote:Well, if you can find us an iOS developer and pay for his or her time... :)

There's the rub... I use Android for my mobile computer needs...Shame there's still platform OS fracture when Mac OS is BSD under the sheets and Android is Linux...both are *nix derivatives, but the GUI isn't cross-platform friendly.

AmberV wrote:Where do you find 2 elbow/feet/torso/whatever sized Post-It notes? :!:

I buy mine at Amazon: Post-it Easel Pad, Self-stick, 25 Inches x 30 Inches, Light Blue Grid, 30 Sheets per Pad, 2 Pads per Carton

Oogiem

Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:03 pm Post

AmberV wrote:Where do you find 2 elbow/feet/torso/whatever sized Post-It notes? :!:

Sam's Club in the US often has them, Also Staples and Office Depot. Look in the presentation supplies area.

AmberV

Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:59 pm Post

Thanks, to both!
Ioa Petra'ka

ed
eddieh

Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:11 am Post

Lol. It is lovely that you can't get the Mac version out before we start asking for an Ipad version. It's a tribute to your work. Really looking forward to the Mac version. Though I shall also be eager for scrivener on the iPad too. Lots of post Christmas shopping then. On the bright side, one day the OS on Mac and iPad may be so similar that writing for one almost does the other. :D
Keep up the good work.

jo
john b

Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:10 pm Post

using VNC I can get some of Scapple's function on the iPad

Presumably people who are more used to resources like VNC can get a fuller set of functions with Scapple in the iPad. There is a bit of latency, not a huge amount. Try it for a foretaste of what a ported Scapple might eventually be like.

(Sorry, I posted this on the main forum first, and have since deleted it from there) j

qu
quietbyday

Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:07 pm Post

I know this is not usually discussed as a "platform" in these forums, but it seems to me that Scapple would function very well as a web-based app, or at least would benefit from being able to export or exchange file formats with a web-based tool with similar features.

After a little scouting, I found two Chrome web apps that have a similar basic feature-set to Scapple, i.e. they allow creation of non-hierarchical text notes, linked by connecting lines on an infinitely expandable canvas. Of course, they don't have the same ease of use and flexibility as Scapple functioning in its native OSX, but it *is* interesting that Scapple documents could in theory be "translated" into these apps.

1) Google drawings: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-drawings/mkaakpdehdafacodkgkpghoibnmamcme

2) Sketchboard.me: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/sketchboardme/bgafhjpdkfjfmmjbebbdckolonomaoil

Just some food for thought. A web-based app would allow users to work more in the cloud (very significant for those who are often on the road) and to do more collaborative work with others.

Cheers,
Patrick

Ti
Tim365

Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:47 pm Post

Hi,
I really like how Scapple transforms the idea of free form paper notes to the mac.
But if anybody is interested in similar capabilities for the iPad, you might want to look at NotesPlus http://notesplusapp.com
It's one of the basic notebook apps out there, but it lets you set a page size of up 84x84 cm. Which is pretty much more space then you need. You can zoom into details, make drawing, and most importantly it has handwriting recognition, lets you add pictures and syncs via dropbox.
On the iPad this is my go to app. But while working on the mac, Scapple is definitely becoming my app for sketching out ideas.

Cheers,
Tim

WL
WLA

Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:41 pm Post

With respect to (as well as for) the decision not to develop Scapple for iOS at this time, I wonder if anyone could provide advice about iOS apps that might play well with Scapple files. I'm looking to identify an appropriate app to view or perhaps even edit Scapple files that reside on Dropbox.

AmberV

Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:26 pm Post

I can't think of anything off of the top of my head, because this kind of completely non-linear, 100% spatial approach is really only common amongst programs that are devoted to illustration (Adobe Illustrator files, for instance, do not organise vector shapes into a logical outline, nor can they be reduced to one). So there isn't a commonly used co-ordinate based text file format that programs can use to talk to each other. Word processors have their RTF, outliners have their OPML---Scapple has... itself.

Maybe we'll start a trend though? :)

P.S. If you want to "void your warranty", you could take a stab at hand-editing the .scap file. It's just a plain-text XML format, and about as intuitive and legible as an HTML file is. I wouldn't recommend trying to do much more than editing notes you've already added, though.
Ioa Petra'ka