Scrivener for iPad

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:34 pm Post

ConsoleMode: You are very close to violating the rules.

1. Ta-Da is derogatory as it implies a superior position of intelligence demonstrated by preforming a surprising feat of revelation. Let's chalk that up to english as a second language.
2. You are a surgeon. Congratulations. How does this qualify you to make the statements you have made regarding your better understanding of the software business?
3. Anonymity and a desire to be anonymous do not permit unbridled arrogance. The request was that you prove your qualifications to make statements about marketing and potential revenue streams for a software business, or even business in general. Maybe this is english as a second language again.
4. Taking exams does not qualify you for anything expect for the field that the test was focused on. Where your exams related to profitably running a software business? Maybe a general business?

5. Wait, computers are not your business? I believe you should go back and reexamine your ability to give business advice. For some here, me in particular, computers are our business. I don't meddle in the medical profession as I am not a physician.
6. Hobby != feeding family. Again, I would not suggest how you should change your medical practice as I know very little about how said practices are made profitable. Likewise, the software industry is not a straight forward as most folks think. As a matter of fact is can be very complicated as it is a global market.
7. Reading an API and knowing a few concepts does not qualify as "skills". Writing a program does not qualify as "skill". "Skill" is feeding your family by developing a product that folks are willing to pay for.
8. Old hardware is irrelevant. I can probably beat you but a bit. Ever work on a PD7? what does it prove? only that I have touched an antique.
9. You have not seen the evolution of personal computers. Neither have I and I am pretty sure I am older than you. What you and I have seen is the evolution of technology. The PC evolved in the 70 for business users. PC is incorrectly associated with home computing when in fact PC was a designation of a system that was dedicated to a specific user compared to the traditional multi-user systems that predate the dedicated PC.

Since you don't seem to get the point let me lay it out for you very clearly. You do not have "experience" in the day to day operations of a software development house. Your perception is clouded by desire for a specific tool. I, a person who manages teams of developers and budgets that would make KB wonder if he is in the wrong business, understand exactly where KB is coming from. I understand this because I make decisions like this regularly. For a large multibillion dollar per year company. Who should KB listen too for business advice? You, a very respectable customer who has not shown experience in the software business or someone like me? Stated differently: who should I listen too for medical advice? You, the trained physician, or my neighbor who goes to the doctor regularly?

I would like to address one theme you keep coming back to, who is saying you do not qualify to be here? I am saying that you are not qualified to give advice on how software companies should develop products. An a native english speaker I can tell you that others are attempting to say the same thing. You are qualified to be here as an owner of a scrivener license and a user of the product. If you enjoy writing you are qualified to participate in writing discussions. As a matter of fact, the only thing that would "disqualify" you for participation in the forums would be becoming downright rude and offensive.

Mind if I ask where you studied and if you have a specialty?

[edit] Just realized that his might look like I am trying to figure out who/where you are. Not the case. Just getting to know you.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

Co
ConsoleMode

Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:07 pm Post

Sorry, it is not so much worth it for me. Goodbye.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:02 pm Post

Oi.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

bo
bodsham

Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:18 pm Post

I do wonder, Consolemode, if you set up a forum about your work as a surgeon, how it would go. Say an anonymous party came on and told you your medical practices were all wrong and suggested ways in which they could be improved. Would you respond well to that?

I suspect not. No one was saying you had no right to be here by the way, as Jaysen has already pointed out. Certainly not me. But just telling KB he's wrong because he won't do what you want isn't a terribly helpful contribution.

Jaysen

Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:24 pm Post

Vey.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

kewms
Platform: Mac

Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:04 pm Post

ConsoleMode wrote:So please, before I can answer anymore of your demands, can you prove, without looking like a total macintard, that you are not one..., will you be so kind as to tell me, what you know about the history of computer science and of personal computers, how the user interface has evolved over the years and how it has influenced people and their productivity; who the main companies involved in this history are; what players have taken this evolution to their advantage to gain marketshare (for example, tell us what you know about the developments of Apple vs. Microsoft)..
if not, then go pick a fight with someone else.

Is Turing far enough back for you, or should we drag Babbage in as well? And we definitely need to talk about Intel, since it's unlikely that Apple would have achieved even its current 8% share of the PC market if it hadn't made its hardware Windows-compatible. And about Unix in all its manifestations, since that's what OS X is behind the fancy interface. Although what any of that has to do with the market opportunity of the iPad vs. Windows is beyond me.

It looks to me like you are the one who is trying to pick a fight here. I tip my hat to Keith, as I've seen people banned from other forums for far less.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

ni
nib

Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:20 pm Post

Ok, I came to this thread for the repartee but I stayed for the bloodletting. This is like mud-wrestling, watch & enjoy but if you’re in the first row remember to hold your hand over your drink.
I got a bit apprehensive when I heard zippers and the measuring tapes were pulled out but it all ended well.
The discussion about content creation vs consumption is causing me to think that an iPad might be a great gift for “she who shall not be named.” I'm thinking she might be so enthralled by the this-is-not-a-computer interface that I might wrest the MacBook from her mighty grip. (Phew! I almost said, talons). A potentially fatal error, that.
I wish there was an Apple store nearer than 60 miles, though. I'd like to get her to play with one for a bit to see how she likes it, ‘cause if I buy one and she doesn’t care for the thing, I don’t think it’ll appeal to me enough to keep it. I was thinking about buying a Mac mini but now I'm wondering how the iPad would work for us.
If anyone has hands-on experience with an iPad, I'd be interested in your thoughts.
*Note to self: Never, never, ever ask for Scrivener on the iPad lest the big brains be loosed upon you.
My tropical fish stayed the same size for years in a 20 gallon tank: I put them in a new 50 gallon tank and they grew huge. And that’s why I refuse to buy bigger pants.

AmberV

Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:29 pm Post

You might check over here. Druid has posted a series of impressions regarding the device, more from a research and notation standpoint, but also as a casual browsing device as well.
Ioa Petra'ka

KB
Site Admin

Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:37 pm Post

*Note to self: Never, never, ever ask for Scrivener on the iPad lest the big brains be loosed upon you.

I'm getting many e-mails a day asking for this, and everyone gets a nice reply. :) (But then, I don't have a big brain to loose upon anyone...) There's nothing wrong with asking for Scrivener iPad - it makes me happy that Scrivener users like Scrivener so much they want it elsewhere too. And all of these requests are duly noted, just as the Windows requests were duly noted (maybe we'll have more news on that soon, heh). And almost everyone I reply to who has asked for Scrivener-for-iPad replies along the lines of, "Oh, I totally understand you don't have the resources right now,it's a shame but I like Scrivener on the Mac, and it would be nice to have on the iPad one day!" and I agree, it would probably be nice one day. I only ever get narky when people tell me that I should risk everything I've done so far, or pretty much give up the Mac version, to work on a version for another platform.

So, Wndows 7... :)

All the best,
Keith

monkquixote

Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:00 pm Post

nib wrote:If anyone has hands-on experience with an iPad, I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Druid has been posting updates on his experiences using the iPad in various contexts on one of the other threads. *Oh, beaten to it by the grown-ups. But still, worth repeating.*

At some distant point in the future, I can see myself getting an iPad to replace my reference books, and to have by the side of the actual device I compose my work and my fiction in (hey, by then that might even mean the same thing). Whether the latter is paper-based or as now, my Macbook, I can see the other device becoming everything Mr Adams presaged in H2G2.

My main usability issue, like a lot of people (and as others have said, this may be a generational thing)is that I can't imagine typing for a long period on anything other than a physical keyboard. And the idea of fishing a keyboard out of my bag to attach to whatever device I'm using (iPod touch, iPhone or iPad) seems so ludicrously pretentious that I can't imagine doing it without dying of shame. I feel self-conscious enough taking my Moleskine out of the bag....

Hmm. Although now I think about it, if the keyboard were part of the stand, that doesn't seem so bad.

But then again, if Mac users who already have a copy of Scrivener want to pay for another copy of Scrivener developed just for the iPad, then maybe, just maybe, some people have more money than sense. Screw it, I want Scrivener to work on my Edirol, Keith. Make it work. Do it. In fact, Keith should just screw us all, and release any old bobbins on iTunes, and pick up all the early-adopter dollars. What? Oh. Yes, it's fully working. It's 'feature restricted to enrich the user experience'.

I had to field a call from a customer once asking why the website we'd just advertised on national radio didn't work. On an Amstrad e-mailer thing. I gave her the number of the people who made her machine. I felt a little bad, afterwards.

Anyhoo. Obviously this wonder device is going to make us all more productive, fertile, eat less wheat and discover more fossil fuel. So I intend to order two, and give one to the dog. I don't own a dog (yet), but when I do, it will be the most cross-platform dog you can get, so that this thread will not have been entirely wasted. And when it barks, a thousand words will miraculously be added to my project total. And I will train it's tail to stroke my furrowed brow if I get in a fix regarding the pluperfect, or third act third person third hand narrative.

It's probably time for bed, said Zebedee. (I hope there isn't a Zebedee user on here, as that would be awkward. Not as awkward as typing six thousand words on a glass screen, but you know, socially unacceptable. Manners maketh the forum dweller. And also maketh the monster from under the bridge from the Grimm Bros. And the misunderstood puppy from Warner Bros. And a seven inch single from Bros).

Good night, Seattle. Redmond. What. Ever.
Ivan
----
Writes anecdotal whimsy, misanthropic nonsense and black satire. Black Ant Sense Trophy, if you will. Or Miss Whimsy Dotes. Whatever. http://monkquixote.com

AmberV

Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:10 pm Post

And when it barks, a thousand words will miraculously be added to my project total.

I suddenly realised that my neighbour must be Stephen King.
Ioa Petra'ka

bo
bodsham

Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:01 pm Post

I may get killed for pointing it out but...

I would actually like the ability to read a finished Word or Pages format manuscript on a tablet and do minor editing, notes, comments etc. If Pages on the iPad was actually capable of doing this, instead of mangling all the important revision material, I might have stumped up for it (though I doubt I'd do any serious writing on the thing). We now know that iPad Pages is actually Pocket Pages or Pages Lite and NBG for that anyway.

But there is at least one tablet coming along that will run a full version of Word, and one assumes a full version of Scrivener were a compatible one to appear. It's the Windows 7-based HP Slate. I'm sure the iPad hammers the Slate at the things the iPad is good at it. But for reading and tinkering with a manuscript the Slate could be great. My workflow always involves exporting a final manuscript from Scrivener to Pages for a final, final revision anyway. I could do that in Word though I'd prefer Pages. But since there isn't a working iPad Pages editor that can handle comments and track changes...
Last edited by bodsham on Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaysen

Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:15 pm Post

bodsham,

Want to wager how long it will take for someone to hackintosh a slate into full functionality? How long will "moral adherence to EULA" last once that happens?
Jaysen

bo
bodsham

Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:02 pm Post

That's a very good point. Or wait for Dell to come out with a tablet, because they seem to make their netbooks almost deliberately compatible with OS X in order to make up for the fact Apple - ludicrously in my view - won't enter that market.

I already know one US literary agent who has abandoned a purchase of the iPad because it can't be used to comment on manuscripts and is planning to get a Slate instead.

Jaysen

Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:15 pm Post

Dell takes the approach that OSS should be supported and helps deliver drivers for OSS operating systems. OS X is based on one of these operating systems. The hackintosh method replaces the kext that are specific to Apple HW with the Dell compatible version.

Huge simplification, but no one really cares how it all works.
Jaysen