Direct access to Thesaurus

st
stothers
Platform: Mac

Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:55 pm Post

Sometimes when writing, I'm searching for a new word. consulting the thesaurus is "right click - spelling & tools - click over to thesaurus".

what about thesaurus in the right-click menu so it automatically pops up?

sc
scshrugged
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:07 pm Post

Not detracting from your Wish List item but you might find this easier than what you're doing now:
Highlight a word > right-click > Look Up *word*––the resulting pane content depends upon which dictionaries/thesauri you've downloaded to the system Dictionary app. Also, there's a link to the complete app at the bottom of the pane. [Scrivener uses that system app; it doesn't have its own.]

You could also assign Dictionary app as a Keep in Dock app for random, quick access.

Forgot one more––you can right-click on the toolbar to enter the Customize Toolbar feature then add the dictionary icon for quick access to the app.

Hopefully, these options make things more fluid for you.
Scrivener user not affiliated with L&L.

lunk

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:35 pm Post

You can set up the Mac to use three-finger tap as the look-up command. You don’t even have to highlight the word. Just point the cursor on the word and three-finger tap.
(You set it up in System settings)
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:36 am Post

lunk wrote:You can set up the Mac to use three-finger tap as the look-up command. You don’t even have to highlight the word. Just point the cursor on the word and three-finger tap.

You're assuming that those of using Macs have touchpads. The iMacs and Mac minis do not... ;)
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

lunk

Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:25 am Post

devinganger wrote:
lunk wrote:You can set up the Mac to use three-finger tap as the look-up command. You don’t even have to highlight the word. Just point the cursor on the word and three-finger tap.

You're assuming that those of using Macs have touchpads. The iMacs and Mac minis do not... ;)

My iMac has. Haven’t you heard of stand-alone touchpads? ;)
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:32 pm Post

The default system-wide shortcut for this is ⌃⌘D, as well—same idea, you just point at the word even if you’re typing elsewhere. Or if you are typing and the mouse pointer is hidden, the cursor position is used.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

auxbuss
Platform: Mac

Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:26 pm Post

Another shortcut option is to use PopClip. The inbuilt plug-in goes to the dictionary, but cmd+2 gets you to the thesaurus. Actions: double-click word (to highlight); click dictionary icon.