Can we have "Check spelling as you type" Main Toolbar Action Button, please?

krastev
Platform: Windows

Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:51 pm Post

Can we have "Check spelling as you type" Main Toolbar Action Button, please? Also, it will be good if we have the option associate a keyboard shortcut to the same action.

We have 'spelling' at the moment but I would like to have a separate button for "Check spelling as you type", the option is now hidden under settings and not easily accessible.

Thank you,
M
Krastev
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.9.0
Windows 7 & Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Testing Scrivener Beta for Windows

Te
Teodora
Platform: Win + iOS

Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:47 pm Post

krastev wrote:Can we have "Check spelling as you type" Main Toolbar Action Button, please? Also, it will be good if we have the option associate a keyboard shortcut to the same action.

We have 'spelling' at the moment but I would like to have a separate button for "Check spelling as you type", the option is now hidden under settings and not easily accessible.

Thank you,
M

I agree with this ...

WGPearman

Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:44 pm Post

Can we have "Check spelling as you type" Main Toolbar Action Button, please? Also, it will be good if we have the option associate a keyboard shortcut to the same action.

Thank you,
M

I also agree with this. This would be very helpful!
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong in those broken places. Those who make it, always press onward, never giving up."

David Munch
Platform: Mac

Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:00 am Post

You can set custom keyboard shortcuts In System Preferences.

krastev

Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:50 pm Post

David Munch wrote:You can set custom keyboard shortcuts In System Preferences.

No, for this one you can't.
Krastev

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:24 pm Post

Do you mean the menu command
Check Spelling While Typing ?

It has a shortcut - command backslash

And yes, you can change it in System preferences, if you enter the menu command exactly right.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:00 pm Post

@ David Munch and @Lunk, the OP and the other posters seem to be Windows users, while you're both on Mac and giving them the Mac solution.

I too am a Mac user, so I don't have an answer as to whether it is possible to create a shortcut for that particular menu item on Windows, as I don't think it's a system-based option as on the Mac … but I just thought I'd point out.

:)

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.13.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iOS 12.01, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

lunk

Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:11 pm Post

Ouch... :shock: :?
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

gr

Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:37 pm Post

The "Check Spelling As You Type" preference has always been for me a set it and forget it thing. It is not something I can imagine wanting to toggle on and off frequently. (In fact, I can say with some confidence that I have never once adjusted this setting at all.) Perhaps this request (which requires making a custom icon at least) would be more compelling if people could describe the common scenario in which one needs regularly to switch between these modes.

gr
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat
"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." —Philip Larkin

krastev

Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:36 pm Post

gr wrote:The "Check Spelling As You Type" preference has always been for me a set it and forget it thing. It is not something I can imagine wanting to toggle on and off frequently. (In fact, I can say with some confidence that I have never once adjusted this setting at all.) Perhaps this request (which requires making a custom icon at least) would be more compelling if people could describe the common scenario in which one needs regularly to switch between these modes.

gr

I don't need to describe anything, but I can assure you that I switch it a bunch of times a day. This is just the way I work. Then it is not necessarily a need for a button, it can be as simple as allowing us to assign a shortcut, as with so many other functions.
Krastev

Ji
JimRac

Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:37 pm Post

gr wrote:Perhaps this request (which requires making a custom icon at least) would be more compelling if people could describe the common scenario in which one needs regularly to switch between these modes.

Here's my use case.

When I'm in drafting mode, say writing the first draft of a scene, I don't want any distractions. I turn off check spelling and any other "software assists" that will distract me from the flow of getting the words out.

It is quite possible when I'm through with drafting that particular scene, that I'll want to jump to another one and edit it. Now I want the software to help me with that, so I have to turn everything back on.

It's probably a pretty typical scenario for writers who prefer to create drafts in some type of "distraction free" mode.

krastev

Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:49 pm Post

JimRac wrote:
gr wrote:Perhaps this request (which requires making a custom icon at least) would be more compelling if people could describe the common scenario in which one needs regularly to switch between these modes.

Here's my use case.

When I'm in drafting mode, say writing the first draft of a scene, I don't want any distractions. I turn off check spelling and any other "software assists" that will distract me from the flow of getting the words out.

It is quite possible when I'm through with drafting that particular scene, that I'll want to jump to another one and edit it. Now I want the software to help me with that, so I have to turn everything back on.

It's probably a pretty typical scenario for writers who prefer to create drafts in some type of "distraction free" mode.

Thank you, for taking the time and describe this.

What I usually do, at the time of editing, is to turn off "Check spelling as you type" while working on the words of a specific paragraph since I don't like the distraction of the red wiggly lines.
When I'm happy with it, I usually turn "Check spelling as you type" back on, to check for spelling errors.
That happens hundreds of times during a writing session. Imagine the frustration to have to access the options every time when I have to do that. So, usually, I turn it off completely, which is not what I need. :?

I have no idea how hard is to let us, at least, assign a hotkey to do the switching, but I hope the devs can do it. :D
Krastev

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:25 am Post

Interesting, I’ve always just used the stepwise spell check window at that point. I don’t like markings all over the text while I’m writing either, but when I’m ready to proof it, I open the window and go through each misspelling one by one. Personally I find it a better interface than having to point all over the screen and right-click at stuff using a huge contextual menu as well.

It strikes me as easier than turning the preference on and off anyway—and it has a toolbar icon, for those so inclined.

I don’t know about putting preferences in the toolbar as a general rule of thumb.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Silverdragon

Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:35 am Post

Offering hope from the Dark... er, Mac side here:

In Mac Scriv 2, I remember this operating as the Windows users describe, but in Mac Scrivener 3.0.3, this is a menu item--specifically, Edit > Check Spelling and Grammar > Check Spelling While Typing . The Preferences item only controls whether this feature is on or off by default. It even has a default keyboard shortcut (I had to look this up--like many, I don't change this often.) It's perfectly possible that this will be available when Windows Scriv 3 is released--perhaps AmberV can enlighten us.

Here's hoping... :D
So you know where I'm coming from:
  • I'm a user, not an L&L employee.
  • Mac Scrivener 3.1.1, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra)
  • IOS Scrivener 1.1.5, iPhone 6s, iPad Air 2, iOS 12.1.1

krastev

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:30 am Post

Silverdragon wrote:Offering hope from the Dark... er, Mac side here:

In Mac Scriv 2, I remember this operating as the Windows users describe, but in Mac Scrivener 3.0.3, this is a menu item--specifically, Edit > Check Spelling and Grammar > Check Spelling While Typing . The Preferences item only controls whether this feature is on or off by default. It even has a default keyboard shortcut (I had to look this up--like many, I don't change this often.) It's perfectly possible that this will be available when Windows Scriv 3 is released--perhaps AmberV can enlighten us.

Here's hoping... :D

Thanks, someone already mentions this, but unfortunately, it's not a part of the windows version. :) Anyway, I hope it will be included in the final version of v3 for windows. :)
Krastev