LINK TO instead of Importing files

mr
mr12
Platform: Mac

Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:51 pm Post

Forgive me if this has been discussed before. For those collecting a lot of data for their researches, I think an option to LINK TO the data on your harddrive instead of IMPORTING them would come in handy.

Backing up 6GB of video is no fun (waiting time). So right now I have a separate folder where I keep all the video files, and the rest I imported it into Scrivener, files such as PDF, .webarchive, images etc... So in the end, I only have 66MB for Scrivener to take care of when it decides to backup, instead of backing up the non-important videos that takes up 6GB.

These are video files I downloaded from the net and they help me with my researches. I watch them to take notes etc... but I still prefer to do all this in Scrivener yet without having these files imported into Scrivener.

br
brookter

Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:44 pm Post

You can already import files as links in Version 2 of Scrivener: try File > Import > Research Files as Aliases....

The Manual Section 10.1.3 has full details:

The solution [i.e. the problems of import large files] is to link to these items instead of importing them. The special menu command, File > Import > Research Files as Aliases, can be used to establish a link be- tween the original file(s) and your project. Linked resources will be displayed with a small arrow in the lower-left corner of the icon, in Scrivener. If these files are renamed or moved, the link will adjust accordingly.

However if you move the project to another computer, the research files will no longer function. The links will stay in place, and all meta-data or organisation you have assigned to them will remain, but the source of the file will be offline until you return to the primary computer where the link was established.

This feature is only available for non-text research (PDF, multimedia, and web files) that Scrivener can display in the editor window. On account of technical limitations, it is not possible to link to a supported word processor file or plain-text document.

HTH.

mr
mr12

Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:43 pm Post

Thank you so much! It was there the whole time and I didn’t know anything about it. I have tried Scrivener on and off but version 3 will be my first purchase ever. Thanks again.

brookter wrote:You can already import files as links in Version 2 of Scrivener: try File > Import > Research Files as Aliases....

The Manual Section 10.1.3 has full details:

The solution [i.e. the problems of import large files] is to link to these items instead of importing them. The special menu command, File > Import > Research Files as Aliases, can be used to establish a link be- tween the original file(s) and your project. Linked resources will be displayed with a small arrow in the lower-left corner of the icon, in Scrivener. If these files are renamed or moved, the link will adjust accordingly.

However if you move the project to another computer, the research files will no longer function. The links will stay in place, and all meta-data or organisation you have assigned to them will remain, but the source of the file will be offline until you return to the primary computer where the link was established.

This feature is only available for non-text research (PDF, multimedia, and web files) that Scrivener can display in the editor window. On account of technical limitations, it is not possible to link to a supported word processor file or plain-text document.

HTH.

br
brookter

Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:22 pm Post

Glad it helped -- enjoy....