Mis-capitalization after "i.e."

oc
octopoedi
Platform: Mac

Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:01 am Post

In Scrivener, at least on a Mac, the word after "i.e." will automatically be capitalized, which is very much annoying.

To reproduce, write out "This bug—i.e. the one that capitalizes words after "i.e."—bugs me." The "the" will be changed to "The", despite appearing midway through the sentence.

I wish this were not the case.

This does not happen in other apps—i.e. Notes—so I don't think it is operating specific.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:00 am Post

octopoedi wrote:In Scrivener, at least on a Mac, the word after "i.e." will automatically be capitalized, which is very much annoying.

- - -

This does not happen in other apps—i.e. Notes—so I don't think it is operating specific.

Oh boy... one of life's small jokes. :D

au
auxbuss

Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:02 am Post

This is due to Preferences/Corrections/Auto-Capitalization/Fix capitalization of sentences being checked.

I leave it unchecked for a bunch of reasons. Yours is one of them. I live in my own personal Wild West.

oc
octopoedi

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:48 am Post

auxbuss wrote:This is due to Preferences/Corrections/Auto-Capitalization/Fix capitalization of sentences being checked.

I leave it unchecked for a bunch of reasons. Yours is one of them. I live in my own personal Wild West.

Maybe, but I still think that is a bug because it is "fixing" capitalization that is not at the start of a sentence.

kewms

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:30 pm Post

Determining whether a period is the end of a sentence or is being used for some other reason requires that the program have some understanding of grammar. It's not a trivial programming task.

(Used to be that you could tell because a sentence-ending period would be followed by two spaces, rather than one, but that convention has lapsed.)

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Pe
PerlinP
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:42 pm Post

octopoedi wrote:In Scrivener, at least on a Mac, the word after "i.e." will automatically be capitalized, which is very much annoying.

To reproduce, write out "This bug—i.e. the one that capitalizes words after "i.e."—bugs me." The "the" will be changed to "The", despite appearing midway through the sentence.

I wish this were not the case.

Every time a dot does not mean the end of a sentence and a new capital letter, cmd + Z is your only friend :
"i.e." + "the" + space = "i.e. The"
then cmd+Z -> "i.e. the"

Same issue in French dialogue (followed by a 'he says') :
— Je m'en vais... dit-il.
— Je m'en vais ? dit-il.
— Je m'en vais ! dit-il.