Simple Android app?

ch
chovio
Platform: Windows

Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:03 am Post

jje wrote:Thanks. I hadn't thought of that. I'm going to do a little research to see if there's something really simple that integrates with Dropbox and can read/write .rtf files without converting them to something else. (Ms Word, for example, takes ages to load the files, even though I've made them available offline, and then insists that I save a copy before I can edit them, so that's a non-starter.)

Try JotterPad.

You would be able to export as *.rtf (but not to save; only *.txt *.fountain, *.md, *markdown are available). This seems a pretty good option.

Regards,
Chovio

jj
jje

Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:58 pm Post

lunk wrote:
jje wrote:Drafts looked promising but it doesn't actually open or edit rtf files, so it doesnt really work. I will keep looking.

Scrivener’s ScratchPad isn’t .rtf, it’s .txt, so it does work. I have my ScratchPad folder in Dropbox, so if I want to edit a file saved from my Mac (each entry is a .txt file) I simply open the Dropbox app on my iPad, locate the file, tap ... to get the Export menu, and then choose Open in... and select Drafts.

Modifying the project files, using Sync with external folder, is something else.

This must be a difference between Windows and Mac, I think, because the Windows Scratchpad files do appear to be in .rtf format.

ja
jandykane

Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:00 pm Post

The OP mentioned the decline in sales and production of Android tablets. I am typing this reply on a Chromebook, which now has the ability to use Android apps. So in my use case, I would be delighted to use Scrivener either as a Chrome extension or as an Android app.

jd
jdash52
Platform: Mac

Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:26 pm Post

My thoughts are to bypass an all out Android App and develop a web based app. Is it possible that both Windows and Android devices could use a fully functioning web-based app? Chromebooks, for example, seem to be trending more towards using the browser or instant apps rather than downloading and installing apps. I know Amazon also has their own version of web-apps that I believe handles the cross platform issues for you?

I'm a long time Scrivner adopter (07/2009) and while Macs are cool and all, for some people a Mac is not totally compatible with their digital lives anymore (me). I personally find Apple overpriced and behind the curve on hardware.

I use ChromeBooks for most mobile tasks and an Android phone for the balance of mobile tasks. Would it be possible to move away from platform specific versions and create a web-based app that could be used on any platform including through any browser on a mobile phones?

I'm very interested to check out Scrivner 3.0 but if I look at my future it is either Android/ChromeOS or strictly cloud web apps. As previously stated, there is a deficit of alternative softwares and so one would think a good place to expand.

Just my thoughts, thanks.

kewms
Platform: Mac

Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:38 am Post

jdash52 wrote:My thoughts are to bypass an all out Android App and develop a web based app. Is it possible that both Windows and Android devices could use a fully functioning web-based app? Chromebooks, for example, seem to be trending more towards using the browser or instant apps rather than downloading and installing apps. I know Amazon also has their own version of web-apps that I believe handles the cross platform issues for you?

Chrome OS was originally designed to be *entirely* web-based, with no local applications at all. So the existence of *any* local applications indicates a trend *away* from that web-based origin.

As a writer, I will tell you that I have no interest whatsoever in writing software that *requires* an internet connection to use it or to access my data.

As a representative of L&L, I can't speak for Keith, but I can tell you that the question has come up before, and it is not at all clear that the benefits to us or to the users justify the enormous technical investment that would be required.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:27 pm Post

While it's not the scratchpad, have you looked into the "Sync with External Folder" setup on individual projects? There's a plain text option that would bypass the lack of RTF editors on Android, You could just have a single, project-specific "scratchpad" document in each project, which would sync with an external folder on whichever cloud service you wanted to use (since it's not directly part of a scrivener project, it wouldn't be subject to the issues with using services other than Dropbox).
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".