German User Interface

Th
ThisIsMe_Hey
Platform: Mac

Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:59 pm Post

I love this programm and how it works but I found one or two hickups in the local version of the interface. It might be a good idea to revise some of the translations in the German user interface of Scrivener, e.g. the "Inspector" is called a "Prüfer", which awkward to the German ear. "Detailansicht" as a suggestion might not be the literal translation but brings across the idea of displaying the detailed information of a text or folder.

Another example is that for script writing the "Character" element is translated with "Zeichen". "Zeichen" is one of the meanings of "Character" but it is wrong in this context as it refers to digits and letters. In this case "Figur" is correct.

These are the most puzzling examples I have come across.

Best regrads

KB
Site Admin

Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:41 pm Post

Hi,

Thanks for the kind words. We are currently having Scrivener 3 translated into German (along with another eight languages) completely from scratch, and we have a team of German beta testers giving lots of feedback on the best German terminology based on the English uses, so I'm hopeful that Scrivener 3 will have a much better German translation than Scrivener 2.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Innis

Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:16 pm Post

KB wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the kind words. We are currently having Scrivener 3 translated into German (along with another eight languages) completely from scratch, and we have a team of German beta testers giving lots of feedback on the best German terminology based on the English uses, so I'm hopeful that Scrivener 3 will have a much better German translation than Scrivener 2.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

I'm wondering where we should report awkward and wrong translations in the german version?
Scrivener 3 really did have some nice improvements, like calling the inspector "Inspektor" finally and not that strange "Prüfer".
But, I spotted some really bad translations in Scrivener 3. For example:

• in "Navigieren" → it says "Offen" (= something [is open]), while the usual term for that action is "Öffnen" ("open [something]") in every other softwares.

• "Synopse"(=synopsis) is now called "Kurzfassung" (=short version), but everyone learns in grammar school what a synopsis is and calls it that. A short version doesn't fit the intention of this tool.

• 'references' are now called bookmarks, which is okay, although reference would be more accurate.
But while internal bookmarks are correctly named "Interne Lesezeichen", the external bookmark is called "zu den Lesezeichen hinzufügen" (=add to bookmarks), which is the usual term for "add something to your browsers bookmarks", instead of the proper "Externe Lesezeichen hinzufügen"

Also, the file bookmark is called "Externe Datei-Lesezeichen hinzufügen", which is a tautology , instead of the usual "Datei-Lesezeichen hinzufügen".

Also, when you select some words to add an internal bookmark (formerly "Srivener Link"), the action is now called "Link zum Dokument..." (= link to document ...). I wish a uniform expression would be used throughout Srcivener!
But since they use the expression "Dokument" a lot for 'stuff in the given Scrivener Projekt', it would be logical to go with that one and rename the bookmarks in the inspector, too.
i.e. "Dokument-Lesezeichen" (for internal bookmark*), "URL-Lesezeichen" (for external bookmark), "Datei-Lesezeichen (for a file bookmark)
*sounds just a little off to use 'document' in the grammatical singular here. We might say "Dokumentenlesezeichen"more naturally. I'd prefer "Referenz/Lesezeichen aus Dokument / URL / Datei"

• under Snapshots it reads "Snapshots darstellen" (= display snapshots) besides the + and -. I don't get why they added the verb "darstellen" (= to show, to display, to portray). It's awkward and doesn't convey information.

• in the menue "Einfügen" → it says correctly "Mit Dokument verknüpftes Bild..." (= image connected to document), but instead of "Mit Datei verknüpftes Bild..." it's called "Bild mit Datei verknüpft ..." (sounds strange)

• when you assign a format directly in the texteditor → at the bottom of the list it says "Formatvorlagen darstellen", which is an awkward expression again. The usual term would be "Formatvorlagen anzeigen" (= show ...), or "... öffnen" (= open ...)

... to be continued...