Text-to-Speech

Hi
HiIAmSteve
Platform: Windows

Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:35 am Post

I have Cerebral Palsy and I am nonverbal. When I write in MS Word, I use the text-to-speech a lot to listen to my text. It's amazing how many errors I catch this way.

How about implementing a text-to-speech feature?

kewms
Platform: Mac

Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:33 am Post

On the Mac, text-to-speech is provided by the operating system and is available to all programs (including Scrivener). Isn't there anything similar for Windows?

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

DavidWSnow

Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:39 pm Post

Windows also has text to speach. But as I remember you have to enable it and assign the keyboard shortcut.

Hi
HiIAmSteve

Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:10 pm Post

kewms wrote:On the Mac, text-to-speech is provided by the operating system and is available to all programs (including Scrivener). Isn't there anything similar for Windows?

Katherine

There is a screen reader called Narrator. It says everything from navigation to what the user selects. It's for people with vision loss. For me, it's like putting your ear to a fire hose. It outputs too much for it to be helpful

th
thisbattymom

Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:40 am Post

:idea: This is the first thing I am looking for clues on. I would like to know how to activate the 'text to speech' within the program. I do not need it all the time but sometimes, when I have difficulty with my vision, it would really help to be able to have highlighted sections of text read to me. It is also helpful for me to hear how the story would sound if someone else were reading it.
Thank you.

br
brookter

Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:22 am Post

There isn't a native 'text to speech' facility within Scrivener on either platform, Mac or Windows.

Instead Macs have the feature built into the operating system so you can use it on Scrivener (and every other Mac program. So you need to find the equivalent for the version of Windows that you are using — and then use it within Scrivener, e.g. by selecting text and invoking the reader program.

Have a look at this Microsoft support page, which may help you get started. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/22798/windows-10-narrator-get-started

I hope it helps.

th
thisbattymom

Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:29 am Post

brookter wrote:So you need to find the equivalent for the version of Windows that you are using — and then use it within Scrivener, e.g. by selecting text and invoking the reader program.

Have a look at this Microsoft support page, which may help you get started. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/22798/windows-10-narrator-get-started

Thank you!
I am going to try the information in your link now.
Do you know if there is a way to use voice recognition to write? I do this when using my phone in message boards but I do not know how to access this option when using my laptop (where I have Scrivener).

kewms

Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:49 am Post

Dragon Naturally Speaking is the best dictation software available for Windows.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

devinganger
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:52 pm Post

kewms wrote:On the Mac, text-to-speech is provided by the operating system and is available to all programs (including Scrivener). Isn't there anything similar for Windows?

There is, but the first catch is that as one of the other users said, you have to set it up first. The other catch, if I am remembering previous forum threads correctly, is that the Windows native text-to-speech assumes you're using one of the native Windows APIs to code your application and so has a hard time working with the Qt 4 framework that Scrivener is built on. As a result, the user experience leaves quite a lot to be desired -- you constantly have to copy and paste text in order to get the text-to-speech facility to read it.

For dictating, again if I remember correctly the Dragon software has the same issue, so many of the nicer features of the software don't operate well with Scrivener.
--
Devin L. Ganger
Devin on Earth: http://www.devinonearth.com/
Plotter on the streets, pantser in the sheets