Collaborating With Scrivener

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:21 pm Post

Hi Sulcata,

My takeaway from your interesting post is you are saying that Scrivener can be used as a collaborative platform *now*, by putting the Scrivener project under a version control tool.

Is this the correct interpretation? If so, have you successfully implemented it, or are you just theorizing?

Thanks,
Jim

devinganger
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:59 pm Post

I would be very interested in a concrete example of *successful* collaboration with Scrivener using version control. My previous experiments were not encouraging, in part because Scrivener is not really like any other type of document. Standard source control techniques don't apply, because of the mix of being RTF (so "diff" style tools for conflict resolution don't work) and being an intricately linked multi-file format (so multiple people editing the same project at the same time could simultaneously modify some of the key XML files and create other types of hard-to-resolve conflicts).
--
Devin L. Ganger
Devin on Earth: http://www.devinonearth.com/
Plotter on the streets, pantser in the sheets

kewms
Platform: Mac

Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:30 pm Post

Ahem.

Your friendly support person here, reminding you that allowing any tool other than Scrivener itself to edit the contents of a Scrivener project is not supported, and is entirely at your own risk.That includes allowing Git or a similar tool to resolve differences between versions.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team