A few feature requests for Kindle formatting

Ma
Manni
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:45 am Post

Hi there,

Just to know if this formatting feature is present in the Scrivener version released on the Apple Store today?

If yes, how do we use it?

Thanks!

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:09 am Post

No, I was referring to a much larger upgrade event than a minor point increment which fixes a few bugs and compatibility issues with 10.12. Change logs are found here.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Ma
Manni

Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:24 am Post

Gotcha, thanks Amber!

Ma
Manni

Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:13 am Post

Any chance to get a rough ETA for the availability of the build that is going to implement this feature?

Thanks!

Manni

Ma
Manni

Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:16 am Post

Am I correct to assume/hope that these features will be supported in the upcoming V3.0? Thanks!

AmberV

Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:56 pm Post

Yup, that’s the one! When this thread started we still weren’t talking about it, but now you can read about the updates to eBook formatting on our blog. It might not specifically mention this small checkbox, but you might find that article interesting in general.
Ioa Petra'ka

Ma
Manni

Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:04 pm Post

Thanks Amber, yes I had seen this blog post and as it didn't mention the titles formatting feature I thought I'd double check...

Hopefully it will be documented? I mean, regarding how to format the titles so that we can have part of the title in Italics for example? If you know how to do it off the top of your head, that would be great to know and will save me trying to find it in the doc.

I'm very much looking forward to V3.0, it seems to bring a lot of welcome features to Kindle/e-book publishing (amongst other things!).

One last question: apart from the slower updates and the impossibility to get a discount for the upgrade, is there a downside feature-wise when buying V3 from the Apple app store? Does V3 have an auto-update when it doesn't come from the app store? Can we still install it on more than one PC/Desktop/Laptop as allowed by the app store version?

Thanks!

Ki
Kinsey
Platform: Mac

Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:00 pm Post

I'm 99.99% sure that there is no feature set difference when purchasing from the App Store when compared to L&L directly. I do, however, remember some slight delays for App Store purchasers when point upgrades were released in the distant past, as everything that goes through the App Store has to be certified(or whatever) by Apple before it can be released to users.

My preference when purchasing software/apps from small, top class developers like L&L is to always buy direct from them. I don't see why Apple (or anyone else) should get a cut of my money when I can purchase direct.

Ma
Manni

Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:13 pm Post

I'm with you re buying direct when it's the same, but my understanding is that there are some minor differences feature-wise (due to some features being barred by Apple in the Apple Store, such as low-level file system access etc), as well as some licensing differences.

I find it convenient to buy from the app store because when I install a new mac, all my essential apps can be installed easily, not only on my own desktop/laptop but on my family members as well. And as we're all creative in the family, it can make a big difference vs paying for 3-4 licenses. Then the app store installs the updates automatically (even if a bit later). I don't always remember to look for updates manually, so I find that convenient too. That's why I was asking Amber if there was an auto-update feature in V3 when bought from L&L.

I'm only trying to assess exactly what the differences are. If they are small and if I can live with them, then of course I'll buy from L&L to support a small company. But given the update discount, I'm not sure they will end up with more money than if I buy the V3.0 at the full price from the apple store. In fact, they might end up with less :)

br
brookter
Platform: Mac

Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:28 pm Post

There are differences in the versions in V3, but I don't think they're major. For example, the standard version automatically installs the 'Print PDF to Scrivener' into the system wide Print dialogue, while you have to install it manually on the App Store version (it's not difficult though). There are also some limitations on the Scrivener colour swatch facility on the App Store version (you can't save changes to it so you have to duplicate and save changes to that version). Those are the two differences I know of -- there may well be more.... As far as I know, all the differences have workarounds.

As for the licence: Scrivener operates under a household licence -- basically any computer used by you or a family member living in the same house (but a separate licence for Windows and Mac). This page goes through the various permutations: https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb/purchasing-and-installation/can-i-use-my-license-on-more-than-one-computer

For non-App Store versions, you can set an option to tell you when an upgrade is available -- click on the notification and the program downloads and installs the upgrade automatically -- and it's always done so flawlessly in my experience.

My own view is that for Scrivener (not true for some other programs) you're usually better off getting the standard version rather than the App Store one.

Ma
Manni

Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:52 pm Post

Many thanks, the household license is very generous indeed, one license will definitely cover my needs.

AmberV

Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:55 pm Post

Hopefully it will be documented? I mean, regarding how to format the titles so that we can have part of the title in Italics for example? If you know how to do it off the top of your head, that would be great to know and will save me trying to find it in the doc.

Everything will be documented! :) And if I missed a spot once you have the PDF in your hands, let me know.

It will use simple Markdown, just like we do the header and footer bars if you ever use print. There will be a checkbox to have this done in titles and synopses as well. So an *Italic* word, or a **Bold** word will end up Italic or Bold. You can start doing that now safely, though of course with the understanding that you’ll see asterisks when you compile until v3 is installed. :)
Ioa Petra'ka

Ma
Manni

Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:10 pm Post

This is great, thank you!

Can't wait for V3 :)