Auto numbering Images

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:54 pm Post

AmberV wrote:But if you want real captions and cross-references, even Scrivener for Mac doesn’t do that.

This seems false. I guess I don't know what you mean by 'real captions'.

gr
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat

"Perhaps the true book is the one on the far side of the prism."

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:18 pm Post

DimNC wrote:It seems I’m not sure I’m doing it right. The <$p > thing works, it displays the correct page, but, once compiled, when I click on the link, I have an error sound and it does nothing.

It’s hard to say. I don’t know what format you compiled to or what program you’re using to view them, but the two I checked (PDF in Skim / RTF in LibreOffice) seemed to work fine.

gr wrote:This seems false. I guess I don’t know what you mean by ‘real captions’.

In the same sense as “real footnotes”: not a thing that is text printed in a document and perhaps formatted a certain way with a static number, but rather an object that is a formatting element that can be manipulated and made use of for being that element in post. Here is an example in LibreOffice:
  1. Use Insert/Image... to bring a graphic into the text.
  2. Right-click on the image and select “Insert Caption”, type in a sample line and click OK.
    At this point, given the options in that dialogue, you can see the difference between this as a caption, and the text “Illustration 1: Blah blah” typed into a paragraph below an image with a slightly different font and maybe a stylesheet assignment.
    But to further illustrate the usefulness of these sorts of captions…
  3. Copy and paste the example a few times into different areas of the document.
  4. With the cursor at the bottom of the document:
    1. Use the Insert/Table of Contents and Index/Table of Contents, Index or Bibliography... command.
    2. Switch the Type to “Illustration Index” and click OK.
    And there you have a list of figures.
That isn’t a result you can achieve from Scrivener, so if you need that, or if you are planning on inserting images later anyway (as glupilogin, who I made that comment to, was doing), then it would make a lot of sense to defer that level of document production to the post-compile phase.

Or one can use MultiMarkdown (I don’t think Pandoc supports docx captions) in Scrivener, which will generate these captions automatically and make adding a list of figures an easy one-step process. If you take either of those routes, then there is no need to be messing with numbering placeholders while writing, since that is a function of the caption element system.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Di
DimNC
Platform: Mac

Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:30 pm Post

AmberV wrote:
DimNC wrote:It seems I’m not sure I’m doing it right. The <$p > thing works, it displays the correct page, but, once compiled, when I click on the link, I have an error sound and it does nothing.

It’s hard to say. I don’t know what format you compiled to or what program you’re using to view them, but the two I checked (PDF in Skim / RTF in LibreOffice) seemed to work fine.

My bad. I compiled for print and opened the document as a pdf in Preview on the Print dialog box. It works when I compile in PDF. Thanks again AmberV.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:00 pm Post

Ah yeah, when printing all hyperlinks are lost. Some day when we have smart paper that is powered by the heat of our skin that might be a viable option. ;)
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Di
DimNC
Platform: Mac

Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:37 pm Post

Yeah, who knows! :)

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:22 am Post

Thanks, Ioa. I see. When you said 'real captions', I was thinking of actual captions! But you meant something like what we might call 'smart captions' as opposed to actual captions -- on close analogy with so-called 'smart quotes'. "Smart quotes" does not refer to a kind of quote mark, of course, but rather to a programmatic function which is convenient for producing typographic quote marks. Similarly, your smart (real) captions are not actually captions, but a programmatic function that is helpful in doing various things that produce captions.

Whew. Obviously, I have been spending too much time in the real world! Or maybe not enough? :)
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat

"Perhaps the true book is the one on the far side of the prism."