Cleaning up Forum posts

as
asotir
Platform: Mac

Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:33 pm Post

This is a wish item for the forums, not Scrivener.

Recently the Novel in 3 days with a vengeance has totally taken over the Announcements index. The Announcements usually contains things like new versions of the program coming available. Does it really need to be taken over by 100+ posts a day about this fun play? Couldn't the Novel in a Day posts go over to the Now for that Latte index?

I usually read the posts via RSS and want to know about problems and tips and new versions, and man is it a slog to wade through all those posts ... with a vengeance.

thanks, asotir

sfosparky
Platform: Windows

Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:16 pm Post

asotir wrote:Recently the Novel in 3 days with a vengeance has totally taken over the Announcements index.

…man is it a slog to wade through all those posts ... with a vengeance.

I second this concern.

I have enjoyed being subscribed to the Scrivener Forums RSS feed. But the Novel in 3 Days thread has become so bloviated that I'm giving serious consideration to unsubscribing. Who will benefit if I do?

For those of us who use the RSS feeds to stay informed about, even offer solutions to, Scrivener issues, the Novel in a Day thing is getting in the way…

Cheers, thanks, & hope this helps,
Riley
SFO

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:06 pm Post

There should be a new heading called:

PROCRASTINATION: I LOVE IT

And a whole lot of stuff could be filed there.

:roll:

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:27 pm Post

Well, shucks guys. Sorry for the inconvenience. By way of compensation, help yourself to a free copy of the book:
http://www.pigfender.com/index.php/2013 ... niad-2013/

You might even enjoy it! :D
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

VD
VDGriesdoorn

Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:22 pm Post

The 'novel in a day' posts did take over the RSS feed for a day or 3, I'm afraid. :( And I'm sure nobody objects to the NIAD threads being refiled in another section of the board, as you suggest, or the RSS to be filtered somehow so that it doesn't include NIAD posts.

However some of us are also here for the like-minded community behind Scrivener, not just the news updates. And I think there's value in NIAD for that. As long as a restructure hasn't not happened I hope we can be considerate of that the fact that since NIAD is a once-a-year day-long activity and it is now over for another year, it will clear out of the RSS soon enough.

Sorry that we disturbed your feed, but I for one enjoyed taking part in NIAD, and as Pigfender said, you may perhaps enjoy the result if it's your cuppa tea.

Again on behalf of the NIAD supporters and paticipants who share my sentiments, sorry for the disruption we caused. We'll be out of your hair soon.

Best,
Victoria

sfosparky

Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:30 am Post

Thanks to all for the civilized discussion and understanding.

Cheers & thanks 'gain,
Riley
SFO

mi
michaelbywater

Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:01 am Post

Yes, and while we're at it can we get rid of all that gobshite drivel in the newspapers about pop stars and fecking foopball and chefs which I'm not interested in and which I have to fecking take the effort to not fecking read thus depleting my powers of discrimination for when I need it later on? Or at least make the gobbogues who write the things supply a one-line summary of the stuff so that I don't have to read it in order to decide not to read it?

Just one line — "Foul-mouthed fecking TV chef in twerping arse vocalist foopball shock" — at the head of the story? They could call it a "headline". Save us all trouble.

(You could do the same in online fora. Have things under headings, so that we could decide that we were not the feck interested in anything appearing under, say, "Cleaning up Forum posts". How hard can it be?)

There. That lowered the tone, I think.

8)

homeport

Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:47 am Post

I would like to add my apologies if we took over the forum for a while, but it is a once a year thing and what we must not forget is that Scrivener and Scapple are getting good use during this one day. Call it the yearly testing :)
"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

robertdguthrie

Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:33 pm Post

I don't see why we can't just move it on over to the And Now For That Latte forum, once a locked announcement thread has been posted here. Just provide a link there for discussion & questions, but have a moderator post replies to the thread for the occasional update or reminder.
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?

Sanguinius

Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:40 pm Post

michaelbywater wrote:Yes, and while we're at it can we get rid of all that gobshite drivel in the newspapers about pop stars and fecking foopball and chefs which I'm not interested in and which I have to fecking take the effort to not fecking read thus depleting my powers of discrimination for when I need it later on? Or at least make the gobbogues who write the things supply a one-line summary of the stuff so that I don't have to read it in order to decide not to read it?

Except the difference is that the stuff about pop stars and football and chefs aren't typically in the US/World news sections. They're in their own sections: Sports, Entertainment, etc.

What the people in this thread are asking for is that the NIAD posts be placed in an appropriate section, which "Announcements" obviously isn't.

Also, while the NIAD thread might do well to foster community togetherness, looking at some of the responses on that thread to this one seem to do just the opposite, when people are calling others "wimps" just for wanting an uncluttered RSS feed, etc.

It's hard to want to be part of a community when someone who has a dissenting opinion is treated uncivily.

mi
michaelbywater

Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:28 pm Post

Sanguinius wrote:
michaelbywater wrote:Yes, and while we're at it can we get rid of all that gobshite drivel in the newspapers about pop stars and fecking foopball and chefs which I'm not interested in and which I have to fecking take the effort to not fecking read thus depleting my powers of discrimination for when I need it later on? Or at least make the gobbogues who write the things supply a one-line summary of the stuff so that I don't have to read it in order to decide not to read it?

Except the difference is that the stuff about pop stars and football and chefs aren't typically in the US/World news sections. They're in their own sections: Sports, Entertainment, etc.

What the people in this thread are asking for is that the NIAD posts be placed in an appropriate section, which "Announcements" obviously isn't.

Also, while the NIAD thread might do well to foster community togetherness, looking at some of the responses on that thread to this one seem to do just the opposite, when people are calling others "wimps" just for wanting an uncluttered RSS feed, etc.

It's hard to want to be part of a community when someone who has a dissenting opinion is treated uncivily.

While sensitivity is a cardinal virtue, it could be a trouble on occasion, causing needless fretfulness and a sense of encroaching hostility which this most pathologically civil of fora could never in reality generate. (I exclude myself here from the ranks of provocateurs simply because no living creature could mistake the register -- or schema if one were a professional rhetorician -- of my previous comment for anything other than the vulgarest of parodical satirising.)

(On the other hand it's a lot quicker to flick past an obviously irrelevant RSS line than it is to dismantle the unspeakable bought-and-paid-for PR slobber from the 10% of the newspaper marginally worth reading, throw the dreck in the recycling bin making sure to throw the plastic in the other recycling b-- NOT THAT ONE THAT'S FOR HARD PLASTIC IT GOES IN THE OTHER PLASTIC RECYCLING BIN jaysus help us. But I bet you a million pounds there's someone out there who thinks it's inappropriate to make gags about recycling.)

We know about who you can fool and for how long. But it should also be remembered by all, at all times, that you can't please everybody any of the time.

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:23 pm Post

robertdguthrie wrote:I don't see why we can't just move it on over . . . once a locked announcement thread has been posted here.

Yes, if you look at the available checkbox options for RSS feeding, having the NIAD juggernaut in Announcements doesn't probably make much sense. Somewheres else would be good.

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:15 pm Post

Guys, there is a reason why it's in the Announcements section and not in lower traffic areas.
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:54 pm Post

Fellow crew members,
NIAD, is a uniquely Scrivener event, as far as I am aware, and its yearly upcoming is as worthy of notification in the ANNOUNCEMENTS forum, as anything that has already appeared, therein.
The NIAD thread has received 5134 hits, so its content is obviously of interest to many other crew members, whether or not they deem the ANNOUNCEMENTS forum to be, ‘appropriate’ or not, only three of them have taken umbrage, and voiced their disapproval. It would be nice to think that unlike those three, the remaining 5131wished the the NIAD exercise, and those taking part, success.
It would be even nicer, had the, three, in the interest of ‘fostering community togetherness’, cut the NIADers some slack, and shown a modicum of patience, and wished those taking part, success, too, instead of exhibiting: insularity and anal retentiveness

I don’t often agree with my mousehound, but when it comes to discourteous responses to this thread, in the NIAD thread, her’s is the only comment that I can see, that in any way impacts on this thread, that being, that some folk have no sense of occasion... which I consider valid comment. I can find no evidence of ‘wimps’.

And! If there had been anything of importance worth ANNOUNCING, during the NIAD deluge you would have found out soon enough.

Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Fr
FredInChina

Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:15 am Post

sfosparky wrote:Thanks to all for the civilized discussion and understanding.

Cheers & thanks 'gain,
Riley
SFO

Civilized only, and fast eroding methink! :twisted: