BETA 1.5.0.7 RELEASED

LAP
Platform: Windows

Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:30 pm Post

1.5.0.7 Beta Download
http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scriv ... taller.exe

Beta Expiry = 12st Jan 2012
Note: Linux Users - we have compiled a Linux beta for 1.5.0.6 too on the Linux forum both deb and gz downloads - see here -> viewtopic.php?f=33&t=21064&p=141073#p141073

Likely release date Jan 2013. We are currently working through other bugs reported and will release 1.5.0.8 in the next few weeks. This should include the updated manual with all the new 1.5 features.

I just want to thank you all for your continued support with beta testing - thank you.

Bug Fixes and Enhancements
1. Scrivener now uses CSS and %s and PTs instead of PXs for the Kindle eBooks. Font face must not be specified inside the eBook any longer, as it should be selected by the user on the device. We believe that the generated Kindle Mobi format is compatible with the old and new Amazon devices and your compiled eBooks will be readily accepted by Amazon.

3. Name editing of snapshots is fixed.

4. Sorting via date of snapshots fixed.

5. Fixed other issues with snapshots. Too many reads/writes of snapshots
when no read write was actually needed. Keep snapshots in cache after
saving. Buggy snapshot name comparison resulted in saving ALL snapshots
every time a snapshot was edited.

6. Turkish language translation added - waiting on update for full 1.5.x coverage.

7. Updated German translation added with 1.5.x coverage.

8. Inspector Notes with/without Punctuations is implemented. Added a user option inside the General Preferences with the same text as Mac and implemented the functionality.

9. If you use the "+" or "+fn" buttons in the inspector to create a new note, the inspector steals focus and using the Escape key after that returns to the inspector even though, from the user perspective, focus should be still in the editor. In lieu of this, Keith's added the ability in the Mac version to use Enter to end editing without changing the focus. I'm not sure if the differentiation between Return and Enter is as prevalent in Windows, so you may want to use a different shortcut for this if something else seems better to you. The main thing though is that Escape should always end editing and put focus back in the editor.

Windows version has implemented this functionality as follows: Esc ALWAYS moves focus to the main editor and Ctrl+Enter closes the editor and focus stays inside the Inspector.

10. Inspector Comment/Footnotes contents are now searchable.

11. Script formatting fixes - this is a long standing bug that has now been addressed The before-paragraph spacing for new elements in script settings does not get saved but continually reverts to 0. Reproduce by:
a. Open Script Settings and create a new element
b. In the Paragraph tab, set the element's "Spacing Before" to a
non-zero number
c. Click OK
d. Return to Script Settings, select that element, and go to the
Paragraph tab: Spacing Before is back to 0pt.

Likewise if you just type in a script document using that element and then check the paragraph settings, the line-spacing is 0. For existing elements in the default script settings, line-spacing will revert to 0 if the user changes the number from the default, but if the user then returns it to the original default number, that setting is correctly remembered.
a. Open Script Settings for Screenplay
b. Select the "Shot" element and go to the Paragraph tab - this has Spacing Before: 24pt
c. Change the spacing before to 6pt.
d. Click OK
e. Return to Script Settings, select "Shot", and go to the Paragraph tab - Spacing Before is now 0.
f. Change the spacing before to 24 pt.
g. Click OK
h. Return to Script Settings, Shot, Paragraph - spacing is still at 24pt.

As above, if you type in a script document you'll see that after step 4, the Shot element has 0 before spacing, but after step 7 it has 24pt before-paragraph spacing as it should.

12. There was an issue with the Binder font state in 1.5.0.6 which effected compile which has now been addressed.

13. CSV Export - New Lines within the data contents have been replaced with spaces to keep proper CSV format.

14. There was a selection bug inside the Compile Title Prefix that is now fixed.

15. There was a bug with Script formatting and spacing which has now also been addressed.

16. Tutorial updates.

17. Shortcut updates for adding inspector comments (SHIFT+F4) and footnotes (SHIFT+F5).

IMPROVEMENTS
- Added multi-language smart quotes functionality including:- Japanese, Korean, Chinese and German etc. Both single and double styles are available in the Options -> Corrections pane.

- Translations in progress now include: Hungarian, Slovenian, Swedish, Greek and Simplified Chinese which is wonderful. Scrivener is now translated into Italian, German, Bulgarian, Turkish, Traditional Chinese and of course Sci-Fi - which if you haven't checked out is the brilliant creation by the illustrious pigfender and definitely unique.

Lee

garpu
Platform: Linux

Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:17 am Post

Granted, I could very well be completely missing it, but where's the font information choice for kindle compile? I tested out compiling to mobi, and completely missed where the new choice is. Under the KindleGen tab in the compile box, I have only a button to change its location.
Slackware 64-bit 14.2, XFCE

tiho_d
Platform: Linux + Windows

Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:57 am Post

Hi garpu. Unfortunately the mobi description in the post from Lee is an idea that changed along the way and is not available inside the current release. What has changed is that now we use CSS and %s and PTs instead of PXs for the eBooks. Font face must not be specified inside the eBook any longer, as it should be selected by the user on the device. We believe that the generated Kindle Mobi format is compatible with the old and new Amazon devices and your compiled eBooks will be readily accepted by Amazon. Sorry about the miscommunication in our team and the confusion we have caused. We will update the post with the right info. Please, let us know if you notice any issues with the newly generated Kindle Mobi format.

garpu
Platform: Linux

Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:46 am Post

No worries. Didn't know if I was missing something obvious. :)

Output looks fine both on Calibre and on my Kindle. (Bog standard e-ink reader.) No problems changing font size or the like, and it wasn't displaying minuscule, as before. I didn't do anything fancy with layout or compilation, however.
Slackware 64-bit 14.2, XFCE

LAP

Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:03 am Post

Thanks Garpo and Tiho - my mistake. I've updated the original post to reflect Tiho's accurate comments.

Lee

ZA
ZACK
Platform: Mac

Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:12 am Post

Great. Thanks !

narrsd
Platform: Win + iOS

Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:59 am Post

Yes, thanks for clarifying on that - and the results...

Ve
Vesviu

Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:10 am Post

Good morning, that's the news on the translation into Spanish?

LAP

Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:38 pm Post

Good morning, that's the news on the translation into Spanish?

Good question. We've had several offers to translate to Spanish, but still don't have a translation. Currently, there is no current Spanish translator.

Translating Scrivener takes about a week full-time - and I'm probably talking 7 days not 5. Our fastest ever translation was Italian - by Domenico. We use an excellent tool called Qt Linguist which makes the whole process very simple, and updates a breeze. The hardest part of the work is the core grunt work required upfront. Failure to complete a translation is not just limited to Spanish but other locales as well. I'm guessing here, but when translators vanish and become unresponsive to emails, I assume that maybe they are just too embarrassed to say that the work required was just too much? I'm not entirely sure either way. Given that we are working on a volunteer basis I feel awkward placing time limits etc. but maybe that's what's required. i.e. six weeks to complete, if you become incommunicado the work can be assigned to another volunteer?

Anyone wishing to translate to a language listed as 'Awaiting Translation' is welcome to email me (lee AT literatureandlatte DOT com) and I can send a translation pack. Whilst no rights will be assigned to a particular translator, as it just gets too complicated legally, credit will be given where credit is due by listing the translator's name and web url (if they wish) in the Scrivener About dialog - that way everything stays transparent.

If anyone has not tried switching to SciFi as a language (my standard modus operandi in Scrivener now) I strongly urge them to for some fun. This English translation was the brain-child of our beloved 'pigfender' and it's brilliant - sure to bring a wry smile to one's lips.

Lee