Accented characters don't work on Wine (Linux)

aa
aalonso
Platform: Linux

Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:20 pm Post

Hi there,
I've installed Scrivener on Linux using Wine / Crossover. It works apparently fine, except for one thing:
** I can't use accented characters (like á é í ó ú ã õ ê).
I can type only 1 accented character (let's say á), then, when I try to type other characters (like é, ó etc.), Scrivener keeps putting the first accented character (á), even if I'm typing accent+e, accent+o etc.
Any tips on how to fix that?
Thanks,
AA.

Li
Linus
Platform: Linux + Windows

Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:03 pm Post

Only because of your post I realised that I had the same problem. I write in German, so there are only rare occasions where I have to use accents.

This link helped me:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/360696/keyboard-not-working-100-after-ubuntu-13-10-upgrade

In my case I set Keyboard Input Method to IBUS, restarted and everything was fine, just like this: áéíóúÁÉÍÓÚ àèìòùÀÈÌÒÙ.

I am using Linux Mint but any distro should have a similar dialogue in System Settings.

Hope that helps!

aa
aalonso

Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:25 am Post

Linus wrote:Only because of your post I realised that I had the same problem. I write in German, so there are only rare occasions where I have to use accents.

This link helped me:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/360696/keyboard-not-working-100-after-ubuntu-13-10-upgrade

In my case I set Keyboard Input Method to IBUS, restarted and everything was fine, just like this: áéíóúÁÉÍÓÚ àèìòùÀÈÌÒÙ.

I am using Linux Mint but any distro should have a similar dialogue in System Settings.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for your message. I tried the ibus system and still get the same behavior...
I'll try to dig a little bit more. Too bad that they dropped the Linux version...
Thanks once more,
AA

ca
caiohungria

Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:55 pm Post

Open terminal and type: ibus-setup
Switch to Advanced tab and uncheck "Global input method settings".
Restart system, open Scrivener and have fun.

Si
Sidney76
Platform: Windows

Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:36 pm Post

Hello Linus,
I am considering getting Scrivener. I write a lot in both German and English. Does Scrivener have its own German language setting (the way most word processors now do)?
I use Windows 7 as an operating system.
Thank you.
Sidney

Li
Linus
Platform: Linux + Windows

Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:58 am Post

Sure, under Tools>Options>Corrections you can select - or, if not yet available, first download - a German dictionary (see manual B.6 Corrections). However, you cannot have a multi-language project. So the dictionary is applied evenly to all documents in a project. Therefore also, unlike in Word, you cannot have e.g. parts of a document use one language and other parts another language. So, if you have a project with German and English texts in it, you would have to switch spelling settings back and forth to check documents or document parts in different languages.

Si
Sidney76
Platform: Windows

Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:46 am Post

Great. Thanks.