Linux 1.9.01 Beta Released

garpu
Platform: Linux

Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:14 am Post

Max wrote:Thanks for this Lee. Much appreciated.

I would urge anyone using the Linux client to go ahead and buy a Windows license. I did, and I think this linux client should be rewarded somehow. It seems a windows-license is the easiest way.

Scapple, too, gets forgotten about, but is a dead-useful thing. Unlike most mindmaps, you can have more than one root node. Good, if you're a bit of a rhizomal thinker.
Slackware 64-bit 14.2, XFCE

tj
tjward

Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:09 pm Post

I had forgotten about Scapple and I do have the paid Windows version. I gave it up when I left the Windows world though and found that I could not drag and drop images into it when running under Wine.

I use Scrivener every day via Wine on my Linux Mint desktop, but I switched to another mind map when I could not get past the image issue. Scrivener is working beautifully with Wine. Would never know it is a Windows program until you see the wonky directory structure when saving or creating a project.. but you get used to it.

If anyone else found a work around to use Scapple under Wine, I would love to know about it.

garpu

Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:51 pm Post

Dragging and dropping into Scapple? You've got to use the explorer that comes with WINE. http://wiki.winehq.org/explorer I've never had it work with Dolphin or the like.

be
bertrand47

Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:43 am Post

Hi,
i see in "bugs fixed" that you talk about french corrections (Fixed several typos and in the French translation, under the Éditer menu, "Supprilmer le lien" was changed to "Supprimer le lien").
How can i have the french translation ? i tried to have it by Options/language -> french, but it stays in english. Did i forget something ? (Sure).

tj
tjward

Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:55 am Post

garpu wrote:Dragging and dropping into Scapple? You've got to use the explorer that comes with WINE. http://wiki.winehq.org/explorer I've never had it work with Dolphin or the like.

:shock:

wow.. that works..

thank you garpu :)

garpu

Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:41 pm Post

tjward wrote:
garpu wrote:Dragging and dropping into Scapple? You've got to use the explorer that comes with WINE. http://wiki.winehq.org/explorer I've never had it work with Dolphin or the like.

:shock:

wow.. that works..

thank you garpu :)

No prob! I think later versions of Scrivener under WINE work with Scapple's drag/drop feature. They didn't out of the box, but I believe it was fixed awhile ago.

mi
michaeljtobias
Platform: Linux + Windows

Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:02 pm Post

Hi all,
I installed on Xubuntu 15.10 64bit and all seems to be working fine except Scrivener will not import any .doc or .odt files. It says it can't find converter. Help?

Fa
Fapi

Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:06 pm Post

Yes...1.9. thx...but there are some questions to the new beta at my side:

- where is the scrivener.sh in the 64bit tar.gz?
- why stops the new version with a dump?

After some tuning (LD_LIBRARY_PATH) I got the 64Bit binary running.

Looks really good

But the donation website seems to be gone.

Go on please...after so many years, would there be a final release at the end?

cp
cperfumo

Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:44 am Post

Another Linux user who bought a Windows license here! I do use the Windows version though, to take advantage of all of the latest features (I write my books on Linux and finish them on Linux using a VM).

Thanks you SOOOOOOO much and it is indeed sad news, but understandable ones.

pd
pdwalpole

Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:18 pm Post

Thank you for this generous gift, and for the excellent of Scrivener generally. I had purchased a Mac license back in the day, and a Windows license more recently, but over the past year have been happier & happier with my old Thinkpad running Linux Mint. I run Scapple through Wine, and now have an up to date Linux version of Scrivener. Again, many thanks. Having followed Scrivener for years I am not surprised at your (characteristic) generosity of spirit in this act, but I am very grateful.

Ch
ChrisRosser
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:07 am Post

I won't be making many friends saying this but it is yet another reason why I no longer depend on proprietary software. My writing is too important to me to be tied up with the fate/whims/limitations/resources of any vendor, no matter how much I respect or admire them.

I do understand and accept your reasons and I thank you for your hard work and the parting gift of 1.9.0.1 as it means that I can at least access my legacy scriv files and the countless words I wrote in Scrivener from 2006 to 2013.
Mild-mannered Technical Writer by day, closet fantasist by night
I run Scrivener on macOS and iOS :mrgreen:
NanoWriMo| Twitter | Website | Facebook

li
linux68s

Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:23 am Post

Thank you for Scrivener for Linux. I'm very sad to hear it won't be updated, but I plan to continue using the Linux version anyway. Old laptop + linux + scrivener = happy writer.

rt
rtiangha
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:34 am Post

A little late to the game, but thank you from myself as well for the generous gift. If you guys ever change your minds in the future and decide to sell and support this version and sell it either here or some software store like the new Ubuntu store coming up or even Steam, I will happily buy a third copy for myself (already have licenses for Mac and Windows and will probably buy it again if/when it comes out on Android too).

jo
johnrobert

Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:29 am Post

Much obliged to all of you for bringing the linux version this far along. It has been and will continue to be great for me. I was always waiting for the linux version to go on sale, but now I've gone ahead and bought the Windows version, although I don't have any plans to use it.

Again, you people are great. Thanks for everything and best of luck with your Win/Mac programs.

ka
kataja

Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:24 pm Post

LAP wrote:
hannes81 wrote:Thank you very much!

I have one question: Where can I donate for this version?
Hannes

Thank you for the kind offer Hannes. I truly appreciate it, but it's on me. We did try a donation option in the Help menu of the previous Linux version, but had less than half-a-dozen donations over almost two years. Some users did however purchase a Windows license in appreciation, but we never pushed or had any expectation in this regard; and still do not.

Enjoy!

Lee

A sour comment: I tried to, but the procedure bugged on me, apparently trying to force me to create a paypal account as tried to use a Credit card. Finally I gave up. Wonder how many others gave up for similar reasons.