Import Web Page

my
myapostasy
Platform: Linux

Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:34 am Post

I can only import web pages as plain text. The other options throw this error:
Could not retrieve content at address.
Could not retrieve the content specified by the given address http://www.google.com
FailedToStart

Does anyone have an idea of how I could resolve this problem? I'm on Linux Mint 17, 64-bit.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

garpu

Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:21 pm Post

Were you actually trying to import google.com? I tried on this page, and it worked fine. Does it do it on every web page? (that is, try something with some more text.)

ETA: even google.com worked for me.
Slackware 64-bit 14.2, XFCE

my
myapostasy

Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:44 pm Post

It wasn't the address that I originally wanted, but I did try Google after I started testing random sites. None of them worked except as plain text. So Scrivener is capable of accessing the internet to fetch data, but something goes wrong for PDF/MHT.

I reinstalled 1.7.2.3, to no avail. And I can import PDF and HTML files without problems.

I also installed the Windows trial through Wine. I can import a web page as a PDF (with no problem at all) and as plain text (with some issues that aren't present in the native Linux version). The MHT import just makes a link.

Thanks for your help!

ka
karlinoz

Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:44 am Post

Adding to an old thread. I have the same problem as the OP - it happens on any web page I try to import, I can import as text only but if I try any of the other options - PDF via webkit, Webpage complete (MHT) or the IE option I get the FailedToStart error message. It seems the OP did not really get a resolution except to load the Scrivener in Wine. Does anyone have have any idea how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks.

ma
marchey
Platform: Linux + Windows

Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:57 pm Post

Same problem here. I tried installing under Wine (I have a Windows licence) but the same problem occurred. There is a workaround though. You can print the webpage as pdf and then just load it as a file in your research folder. I also maintain text pages where I list the websites that are part of my research by there URL. You can add a link by selecting a piece of text and then click Edit|Link...

Marc

MacDavid
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:18 pm Post

Same problem here under Ubuntu Gnome 16.10
Only plain text import works.
Any idea ?
Author of http://www.prisonvalley.com, a webdocumentary proudly written with Scrivener ;-) World Press Photo Non-Linear Program Award-winner 2011 (look at the table in the motel and you'll find a clue...) Scrivener under Ubuntu 16.10