Drag and Drop Doesn't Always Work

Tr
TromboneAl
Platform: Windows

Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:51 pm Post

I like having pictures of my different characters:

Chars.jpg
Chars.jpg (297.7 KiB) Viewed 210 times

I drag and drop each image into the inspector. There are two instances when the drag and drop fails:

1. From an explorer window that is the result of a search
2. From an Open or Save As dialog

[In this screenshot, an image is being dragged. When it gets to the inspector, I'll see a circle with a line through it, indicating it can't be dropped.

attachment=0]Drag.jpg[/attachment]

HTH
Attachments
Drag.jpg
Drag.jpg (114.67 KiB) Viewed 210 times
Version: 1.9.7 Windows 10

DavidR

Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:48 pm Post

When you're trying to drag and drop from an Open or Save As dialog, is that a dialog within Scrivener itself, or within another program? I just tried this with MS Word (yeah, it's good as a test plot), and while I could drag image files into it from dialogs in other programs, I could not drag one into the document from within Word's own Open or Save As dialog (which frankly doesn't surprise me). Which way are you trying to do it?
David
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.7
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

What's the difference between a free lance and a loose cannon?

Tr
TromboneAl

Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:21 pm Post

>When you're trying to drag and drop from an Open or Save As dialog, is that a dialog within Scrivener itself, or within another program?

Just tried it from Scrivener's Open dialog: It failed
Tried it from Notepad's Open dialog: It succeeded.

I also realized that when it fails from an explorer window that's the result of a search, it may be because the listed results are actually shortcuts to the image files.
Version: 1.9.7 Windows 10

DavidR

Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:27 pm Post

TromboneAl wrote:>When you're trying to drag and drop from an Open or Save As dialog, is that a dialog within Scrivener itself, or within another program?

Just tried it from Scrivener's Open dialog: It failed
Tried it from Notepad's Open dialog: It succeeded.

I also realized that when it fails from an explorer window that's the result of a search, it may be because the listed results are actually shortcuts to the image files.

Dragging an image into Notepad from its own Open dialog (or anywhere else) must be a Windows 10 thing; I can't do it in Win7. Or did you mean you dragged it out of Notepad's Open dialog into Scrivener?

The more I think about this, the more I realize I don't understand what you're trying to do. The Scrivener Open dialog is for opening projects, not images or other files. There's the File > Import > Files dialog, and you can't drag the image out of that into a document; but why not just click Open, and then drag the image out of the newly-created document? Admittedly an extra step. But dragging something out of an Open File dialog, to me at least, seems counterintuitive to what those dialogs are for. Generally speaking, I don't find that any Windows program (at least not Win7) lets you drag something out of a program's own Open dialog into a document in that program.
David
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.7
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

What's the difference between a free lance and a loose cannon?