Menu problems with screenplay when working in full screen mode

mc
mclarkson
Platform: Windows

Tue May 09, 2017 2:06 am Post

I cannot find the list of known bugs, so I apologize if this qualifies. I originally posted this in 'Tech Support' but have received zero responses and it sure feels like a bug to me.

Let's say I'm editing a scene, in screenplay mode. The cursor is right here:

I enter full screen mode. I move the cursor down here to add a new character and a new line of dialogue:

I press Ctrl+\ to bring up the pop-up menu. Then I hit C to format the line to character. Two things happen that are interesting. First, the formatting is applied in the wrong place. It's applied back where the cursor was before I entered full screen mode. Also, notice that the menu doesn't close. Rather, it stays open but moves a bit across the screen.

Now, I hit C again and, this time, it applies the formatting to the correct line and the menu closes.

Surely this isn't correct?

(p.s. Is there a way to assign screenplay formatting to a hotkey and avoid the pop-up menu altogether?)

mc
mclarkson

Fri May 26, 2017 9:43 pm Post

I'd feel better if there was at least an acknowledgement that the problem is real. :(

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Sat May 27, 2017 7:29 am Post

My guess is that, in the current situation with Scrivener 3 for Mac being in private beta testing, and with the intention being to release Scrivener 3 for Windows as soon as they can bring it up to scratch after the Mac version is released, the Windows team are concentrating entirely on that.

Scrivener 3 for Windows is being rewritten in Qt5—v. 1.x is in Qt4—to overcome some of the shortcomings of the current version, e.g. In "Scrivenings mode". So fixing bugs in a version they are working to replace entirely, would merely put back progress on v. 3, and I would imagine is not on the priority list.

That's just my guess as a long term Scrivener user and a constant follower of all these forums. I am not connected with Lit&Lat in any way.

Mark
The Scrivenerato sometimes known as Mr X.
MacBook Pro Retina 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MacBook Pro 17" (late 2011) 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
iPad Air 2, iOS 11, 64GB
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

mc
mclarkson

Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:26 am Post

Thanks. I feel better for at least having gotten a reply from someone.

si
simeva

Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:12 pm Post

I reported this a couple of years ago. It didn't get much of a response then either!

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=31758

si
simeva

Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:16 pm Post

(p.s. Is there a way to assign screenplay formatting to a hotkey and avoid the pop-up menu altogether?)

This might help you: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=34524#p214049