Cloud Storage Expansion

rg
rgletter
Platform: Win + iOS

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:02 pm Post

I've been looking at the IOS app and integration with 3.0 programs. There is talk about Dropbox. May I suggest adding support for other cloud based systems too like Google Drive, One Drive, and Box.

Sanguinius
Platform: Windows

Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:13 pm Post

You probably won't see them add Google Drive support, given their many strenuous admonitions on the forum to avoid using it with Scrivener.

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:30 am Post

rgletter wrote:I've been looking at the IOS app and integration with 3.0 programs. There is talk about Dropbox. May I suggest adding support for other cloud based systems too like Google Drive, One Drive, and Box.

You might like to read the various Scrivener Knowledge Base articles on Cloud Syncing, where these issues are discussed, and also search for the many threads in these forums where KB explains why Dropbox is currently the only option available for iOS sync'ing as they are the only organisation that provides the necessary API to make it possible.

For the record, I have been using Dropbox for nearly 10 years without problem, except during the latter years of my time in China, where the government deemed it a threat to national security and blocked it. I used to use Cubby until its demise and now use Sync to share projects with Chinese collaborators; I also used SpiderOak for a while. None of those provides the API necessary for iOS, but, apart from the late lamented Cubby, they all work well with Scrivener projects on my laptops.

I also have a hardly used Google Drive account wished on me for another purpose, and a Box account. Box is pretty much useless to me, as, being a Mac user I found I could only use the Web interface and furthermore, Box themselves do not allow access from China.

Mark
The Scrivenerato sometimes known as Mr X.
MacBook Pro Retina 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MacBook Pro 17" (late 2011) 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
iPad Air 2, iOS 11, 64GB
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Ta
Tacitus

Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:16 am Post

xiamenese wrote:Box is pretty much useless to me, as, being a Mac user I found I could only use the Web interface and furthermore, Box themselves do not allow access from China.
Mark
Know nothing about China, but Box provide a small app for Mac and Windows similar to DropBox. I've used it on my various Macs with some success, although Scriv for iOS still needs DropBox.

You can download it here: https://sites.box.com/sync4/
History is a nightmare from which I am trying to escape

rg
rgletter
Platform: Win + iOS

Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:51 pm Post

I appreciate the feedback. I agree that lack of API access and availability prevents application utilization. However, Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, Box, and even Everynote all have developer API's. The only problem with API's is they can change, which means the application might have to change with it - updates. Thanks.

kewms

Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:23 pm Post

rgletter wrote:I appreciate the feedback. I agree that lack of API access and availability prevents application utilization. However, Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, Box, and even Everynote all have developer API's. The only problem with API's is they can change, which means the application might have to change with it - updates. Thanks.

And each API is unique and still requires hundreds or even thousands of lines of unique code on the application side, representing a significant investment for a very small development team. And that's assuming the API exposes the full functionality of the underlying service, which not all of them do.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team