Windows/iOS compatibility?

zu
zugat
Platform: Windows

Tue May 09, 2017 10:17 pm Post

Hi-- I have Scrivener for Windows and I'm considering purchasing the iOS app for my iPhone. Question is, are the files from the iPhone app compatible with the Windows desktop version? Say I email myself a Scrivener file from by iPhone, will I be able to open it on my PC?

Thanks a billion!

kewms
Platform: Mac

Wed May 10, 2017 12:00 am Post

Yes, Scrivener uses the same project format on all platforms.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

zu
zugat

Wed May 10, 2017 1:24 am Post

Thanks for clarifying!

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed May 10, 2017 9:26 am Post

zugat wrote:Say I email myself a Scrivener file from by iPhone...

A Scrivener project is not a file, it's a folder, so you'd need to zip the entire project folder in order to mail it. The way you are supposed to do it is to have a Dropbox account, have the Dropbox app installed on your PC (so your files are automatically copied to the Dropbox server), and have your project in your Dropbox folder on your PC. Once the Dropbox app has finished copying your project, you simply tell your iPhone Scrivener to look in the same folder on the Dropbox server and download it. When you're done, you do it backwards. iPhone sync to Dropbox server, your PC downloads changed files, and then you open the project on your PC as usual.

zu
zugat

Wed May 10, 2017 12:30 pm Post

Oh great, thanks for clarifying, lunk.

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed May 10, 2017 2:38 pm Post

Once you have the iOS Scrivener app installed, check out the tutorial. Near the end, there's a section titled "Syncing" that everyone who uses it with Dropbox should read.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".