Index Cards Random Placement

mo
moviebear
Platform: Windows

Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:28 pm Post

Hello,
The Index cards on the cork board are great except I can't use them the way I would a real board.
When I'm considering moving stuff around, I pull one or more out of the running order and park them around the board while I visualize their use, as a new sequence, substitutions or even dropping them all together. As the board currently is; having them only join the existing rows is extremely annoying!
I understand the current solution solves placement and shunting up etc. But would be much better if we could park them to one side, by say pressing the Space bar in addition to the mouse. Not using the space bar would allow the mouse action to revert.

Thanks

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:50 pm Post

I don’t quite follow the bit about the spacebar, but we’ll be adding a freeform mode to the corkboard in time. Scroll down to the bottom of this page for a look at the concept; not also you’ll be able to load documents into separate windows as well, so if you want to read the contents of a card while working on a big board like that, you can easily do so.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Wa
Wadadz

Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:59 pm Post

Hello,
The concept of free corkboard in the bottom of the page is great. Do you know if it will be implemented this year ?

Do
Dormouse
Platform: Win + iOS

Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:32 am Post

I also am looking forward to the free corkboard. I find the present one too rigid to be helpful. I am probably too visual when I am planning, revising, conceptualising and considering and need to be able to play around with it spatially.

My solution, for the moment, is to use a sticky notes program to do this instead. That gives me a lot of control of the appearance, size etc of each note as well as the position. I would think that many programs would work well (I use Notezilla myself because of the notes browser (like the Scrivener binder) and its ability to stick notes to any document or window). No link to the text, but I can live with having the text separately.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:11 am Post

Yes, we do also make a program called Scapple that might be of some interest if you prefer thinking in a purely spatial environment. It’s not really a diagramming or mind-map program, more like a freeform text editor.

Once we get the freeform corkboard working in Scrivener for Windows (and I can’t make any projections on future features, software isn’t a very predictable thing) you’ll be able to drag Scapple notes into it and roughly retain those spatial relationships as notes are turned into index cards.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

mo
moviebear

Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:54 am Post

Thank you Amber V.

The mac style free form is exactly what I need. I do hope you instigate it soon.

Do
Dormouse
Platform: Win + iOS

Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:52 pm Post

AmberV wrote:Yes, we do also make a program called Scapple

Thank you for the suggestion. I have downloaded it to try (I think I might have tried it a few years ago), but found that it didn't really meet my needs. Might be more effective when it can be dragged into Scrivener as cards. And I don't use linking lines a la mindmapping (again, I've never really got into mind map programs, whatever their ilk; I think I should like them but never find them useful enough to actually use).

The cost of Scapple is small, but the sticky note program is free because I already have it and use it for other things.
I can easily change the colour, style and size of the notes and stick them anywhere - including Scrivener - or stick them to more than one program or window at a time (so I can use a number of different writing programs and have the notes visible on each of them). And also have them available on Android or iOS. And duplicate the structure of the Scrivener folders, so that I only have the notes I need. It works well enough for me for now, but I am looking forward to the changes in Scrivener.