Any hints on coming 3.0 features...

JR
JRP

Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:55 am Post

@Broadsides and GioGio80: Respectfully, the answer is simple. If you cannot abide the current state of the Windows product or the future development schedule, change writing software. If you don't feel that your complaints re Scrivener Windows are being heard, change writing software. If you feel slighted by KB or the Scrivener team as a result of the progress (or perceived lack of) in development, responsiveness of support, etc., change writing software. Can we complain? Sure. Can we ask why not? what if? Sure. But in the end, everyone votes with his or her wallet or feet. You may decide to take your hard-earned money and spend it on another software program, another developer, that more closely matches your ethos and needs. Cool. You, and I, are consumers. If we developed things, we'd be developers. As consumers, we try out products, assess their value, and either reinvest (by buying again or upgrading to new versions) or walk. Simple.

br
broadsides

Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:48 pm Post

Hello JRP,
You might want to look up the name of the forum you are posting on. Last time I looked it said 'Feedback'. That stuff works in a number of ways, good, bad, indifferent ect. That is what a feedback forum is for, and not just for cheerleaders to clap their flippers in delight matey...

Maybe KB wanted to release a fully fledged, solid copy of windows scrivener in a years time. Maybe not. Maybe grousing old geezers having a whine has encouraged him to release the semi shiny windows scriv 3 for you to play with, and to keep you happy. Keep your boring, tedious lectures to yourself. Some of us are not so easily won over.

Okay Katherine, I'm showing myself the door. Bye now.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:17 pm Post

And as the old blessing goes, may you travel far.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:29 am Post

AmberV wrote:And as the old blessing goes, may you travel far.

8)
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

JR
JRP

Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:30 pm Post

broadsides wrote:Hello JRP,
You might want to look up the name of the forum you are posting on. Last time I looked it said 'Feedback'. That stuff works in a number of ways, good, bad, indifferent ect. That is what a feedback forum is for, and not just for cheerleaders to clap their flippers in delight matey...

Maybe KB wanted to release a fully fledged, solid copy of windows scrivener in a years time. Maybe not. Maybe grousing old geezers having a whine has encouraged him to release the semi shiny windows scriv 3 for you to play with, and to keep you happy. Keep your boring, tedious lectures to yourself. Some of us are not so easily won over.

Broadsides,

I wonder if when you chose your forum pseudonym you knew it was a misnomer. Missed by a mile, matey :mrgreen:

JRP

jc
jcarman

Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:22 pm Post

Software is hard. Supporting multiple platforms is hard. Maintaining a schedule when it is impossible to know what hurdles there are to be faced is hard.

L&L are good people. They know stuff that helps us use the software that is so hard to make. They make the hard to make thing easy to use. They work hard on hard things.

They should be paid for the hard work put in to do the hard thing.

We write, and that's hard, but we could write on old newspaper. L&L made this lovely thing that makes our hard thing to do tremendously less hard. Cool. We don't need the old newspaper anymore.

So by all means let's bitch about how unfair it is we chose to buy this hard to make and maintain thing that makes our hard writing easier to do.

Sanguinius
Platform: Windows

Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:07 am Post

jcarman wrote:Software is hard. Supporting multiple platforms is hard. Maintaining a schedule when it is impossible to know what hurdles there are to be faced is hard.

L&L are good people. They know stuff that helps us use the software that is so hard to make. They make the hard to make thing easy to use. They work hard on hard things.

We write, and that's hard, but we could write on old newspaper. L&L made this lovely thing that makes our hard thing to do tremendously less hard. Cool. We don't need the old newspaper anymore.

So by all means let's bitch about how unfair it is we chose to buy this hard to make and maintain thing that makes our hard writing easier to do.

Haven't you heard? Since this is a feedback forum, bitching is totally cool, even when it's not justified at all.

DavidR

Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:35 pm Post

jcarman wrote:Software is hard. Supporting multiple platforms is hard. Maintaining a schedule when it is impossible to know what hurdles there are to be faced is hard.

Beautifully put. Thanks.
David
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.7
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

What's the difference between a free lance and a loose cannon?

garpu
Platform: Linux

Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:52 pm Post

A flaming and no quoting of Gilbert & Sullivan or Monty Python? Y'all are slipping.
Slackware 64-bit 14.2, XFCE

DavidR

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:56 pm Post

Not I, sir! I am the very model of a modern major lumberjack and I'm OK!
David
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Ah
Ahab

Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:59 am Post

DavidR wrote:Not I, sir! I am the very model of a modern major lumberjack and I'm OK!

How about we call you Bruce, then?

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:32 pm Post

I'm Bruce, and so's my wife!
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Ja
Jaaaarne
Platform: Linux + Windows

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:13 pm Post

Not for the first time I see people practically moaning about Scrivener being cheap. Tell you what. Had it cost $199, or even $99, I wouldn't have purchased it at all. I simply wouldn't be able to afford it. And the same would be fair, I suspect, for most wrimos and other writing enthusiasts out there, who - surprise! - don't make any money with it.

So please, just stop with this dramatic "We're robbing L&L!" stuff. Honestly. Please stop. This feels like a slap on the face every time. Go take the developers out to dinner, if you feel like you owe them. Donate to a charity in their name. In other words, do something other than trying to covertly humiliate users who do not make money with Scrivener and do not think that it should cost like an MS Office suite.

Thank you.

DavidR

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:09 pm Post

Jaaaarne wrote:Not for the first time I see people practically moaning about Scrivener being cheap. Tell you what. Had it cost $199, or even $99, I wouldn't have purchased it at all. I simply wouldn't be able to afford it. And the same would be fair, I suspect, for most wrimos and other writing enthusiasts out there, who - surprise! - don't make any money with it.

So please, just stop with this dramatic "We're robbing L&L!" stuff. Honestly. Please stop. This feels like a slap on the face every time. Go take the developers out to dinner, if you feel like you owe them. Donate to a charity in their name. In other words, do something other than trying to covertly humiliate users who do not make money with Scrivener and do not think that it should cost like an MS Office suite.

Thank you.

I may be one of the people you're talking about, and if so I apologize. I truly meant no offense. I wasn't seriously complaining that Scrivener is too cheap! I'm just sort of amazed at it. I'm very glad that it's so affordable; the only folks I have a problem with are those who are (in anticipation) complaining about having to pay for a major upgrade!
David
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

kewms
Platform: Mac

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:55 pm Post

Jaaaarne wrote:So please, just stop with this dramatic "We're robbing L&L!" stuff. Honestly. Please stop. This feels like a slap on the face every time. Go take the developers out to dinner, if you feel like you owe them. Donate to a charity in their name. In other words, do something other than trying to covertly humiliate users who do not make money with Scrivener and do not think that it should cost like an MS Office suite.

Just noting that L&L itself most definitely does *not* feel this way. The price is what it is precisely so that most potential users will be able to afford it.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team