Any hints on coming 3.0 features...

garpu
Platform: Linux

Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:12 am Post

I think I remember hearing that the last big version bump for Mac Scrivener was 10 years ago? You can't go 10 years without paying money for Office. (Well you can...but good luck running that on modern hardware or outside of WINE.)

If you really want to feel the pain, music notation software is heinously expensive. Finale is $600 ($350 academic), and Sibelius is about the same, although they have a subscription. Finale upgrades are around $150, last I checked, and that assumes you're upgrading from a fairly recent version. (For the record, here's where I plug lilypond, which integrates nicely with Scrivener's MultiMarkdown. Topic!)

So $25-40 every 5-10 years isn't so bad.
Slackware 64-bit 14.2, XFCE

ThomasMcKean
Platform: Windows

Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:17 pm Post

I been trying to follow this thread?

I am not so sure I understand it? Someone left because the software didn't do what he wanted, and others are complaining that it is too inexpensive (???) and still others are complaining that some people think the world owes them. At least that is what I am getting from this.

I have had an amazing life. Not always in a good way. A whole heck of a lot of it has been traumatic. I was (somehow?) able to turn that around for the better and I am credited with making the world a bit of a better place, however much or little I have done that, and part of that has been through writing. (Which is some small indication of how very powerful the written word can be. Even more so in better hands than mine, which a lot of them are. I am a good writer, but I am far from the best.)

But now I am older and now I have some crazy damn disorder that is taking both my mind and body away from me at an accelerated rate. Part of me thinks with that with the work I have done, I am the last person who deserves this. But on the other hand, I also don't feel the world owes me anything.

Harlan Ellison once told me the universe is random. "You can win the lottery one day and get colon cancer the next," he said. And he's right. It truly does rain on the just and the unjust. The hell I have been through, the good I have accomplished, none of that makes me any better or any worse than anybody else. We are all equal. That guy who is flipping burgers at McDonald's, he has just as much value as us award-winning writers. Whatever the world does or does not owe us, it owes us all the same, regardless of who we are. No one can claim he or she is superior to anyone else, and that's because they aren't.

It is a hard lesson for some of us.

As for the price, I think it is very reasonable. Charge too much and no one will be able to buy it. They won't make any money. That would be counter productive. If you are dissatisfied, there are other similar programs out there. Ywriter, Writer's Cafe, I am sure we can all think of others. I chose this because a lot of the good writers I know use it. David Gerrold and Melinda Snodgrass have both mentioned it to me, so have many others. They recommended it and that was enough for me to purchase it and give it a try.

Seriously, lighten up. If this isn't for you, move on. I don't think the programmers here would have a problem with that. On a deeper note, no the world does not owe you. If you've been hurt, so have the rest of us. I have been more than most. Do what I did. Get therapy. Doing that doesn't make you weak, it makes you smart.

Like all of you, I have my opinions. I think Scrivener is a great program. I also think Scapple has completely wasted its potential. They can do a lot more and stay true to the spirit of the program. There is a lot more they *must* do to stay true to the spirit of the program. That is just my own opinion. You have a right to disagree. I look forward to seeing what they do with it. I will support them in it because I see the potential it has and because I believe in the work L&L is doing.

I have my little Scrivener/Scapple wish list like the rest of you do. But I don't expect L&L to jump to my every beck and call. That's ridiculous. I know there are people who don't like the books and articles I have written, that's okay. I can't please everyone. I realize that. If you like what I have written, great. Good to know you. Welcome aboard. If not, there are a lot of other people out there you can read. I don't see writing as a competition. Doing that would raise my blood pressure straight away.

Take a deep breath, guys. Whether Scrivener works for you or not, whether you agree with the prices or not, it isn't the end of the world.
Thomas A. McKean, HOKC
Award-Winning Author, Soon Will Come the Light: A View From Inside the Autism Puzzle
http://www.thomasamckean.com