Auto-Correct

Ma
Marilynx
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:26 pm
Platform: Windows

Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:26 am Post

If I've missed it, I hope someone will point me to the right place.

The auto-correct has some amazing corrections.

"Vampiric" became "damper."

"Brekkie" (Australian for breakfast) became "Trekkie" (a Star Trek fan).

And those are just the two I've had in the last half hour. Is there some way I can tell it to ASK me if I want something changed the first time it encounters it? If not, is this an option which could be added?

Ma
MarieDees
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:49 pm
Platform: Windows

Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:34 pm Post

Also - doughnut really is the proper spelling, but it seems scrivener doesn't recognize it and wants me to use donut.

do
dollarnovel
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:03 pm
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:40 pm Post

Hi, the only way to make Scrivener ASK you about the change is to uncheck the "Correct Spelling errors as you type" box located in Tools -> Options -> Auto-Correction Tab under Spelling. Then you'll need to go to the menu Tools -> Spelling menu again and have it check your document each misspelled word at a time. Just like a word processor does.

You can also add words to your "View Personal Word List" in the same Spelling section as well. It's easier to do this by right-clicking on the word and then left-click on the "Learn" option. Or, during the spelling of a document, click on the "Learn" button to automatically add that word to your personal word list.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Chris

Ma
Marilynx
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:26 pm
Platform: Windows

Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:42 am Post

dollarnovel wrote:Hi, the only way to make Scrivener ASK you about the change is to uncheck the "Correct Spelling errors as you type" box located in Tools -> Options -> Auto-Correction Tab under Spelling. Then you'll need to go to the menu Tools -> Spelling menu again and have it check your document each misspelled word at a time. Just like a word processor does.

You can also add words to your "View Personal Word List" in the same Spelling section as well. It's easier to do this by right-clicking on the word and then left-click on the "Learn" option. Or, during the spelling of a document, click on the "Learn" button to automatically add that word to your personal word list.


Chris,

Thanks for your pointers.

The problem I run into is that if I uncheck the Auto-Correction Tab, then it does NOT change the ones I want it to change. For instance, changing the name Bjorn to the proper spelling of Björn.

What I was hopping was that there might be a setting where it would underline unrecognized words, as opposed to changing them to the nearest approximation it can come up with. Rather like this Forumware does... when I type Forumware, it underlines it with a jiggly red line.

I do want it to auto-change things like hte to the. I don't want it changing Australian slang for breakfast into a Star Trek fan.

St
StefanG
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:38 pm
Platform: Windows

Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:02 am Post

I don't think Scrivener provides an interface for it, which is what Chris probably meant when referring to word processors.

My guess is you'd have to open the auto-correct file in an external editor, search for the substitutions you are looking for, and change them there. Saving the file again, however, might cause it to become corrupted, unless the file format adheres to generic standards. Please backup your file first. And don't blame me if something goes wrong.

Another option: Import/convert your auto-corrections from another program.
Let's say you take Word, start out with their auto-correct list, edit it to your liking. The Edit-dialog is straightforward, you'll figure it out immediately. The file format is unversal text. How to convert it to the Scriv-format, however ... hmm, *head scratch* beats me at the moment.

3rd option: Use an external program. This offers the advantage of needing to update only one list, instead of doing it seperately for every program.

User avatar
pigfender
Posts: 2507
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:25 am
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS
Location: Cognitive dissonance
Contact:

Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:27 pm Post

Marilynx wrote:The problem I run into is that if I uncheck the Auto-Correction Tab, then it does NOT change the ones I want it to change. For instance, changing the name Bjorn to the proper spelling of Björn.

What I was hopping was that there might be a setting where it would underline unrecognized words, as opposed to changing them to the nearest approximation it can come up with. Rather like this Forumware does... when I type Forumware, it underlines it with a jiggly red line.

I do want it to auto-change things like hte to the. I don't want it changing Australian slang for breakfast into a Star Trek fan.


Sounds like - for your "Bjorn"correction issue at least - you need to turn off 'Correct spelling as you type' and instead use the Substitutions function - click on "Edit Substitutions" (it's in the same panel as the auto-correction options) and you can add things like Bjorn and teh in there.

PS - Don't forget to click "enable additional substitutions" as well.
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

Image
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

St
StefanG
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:38 pm
Platform: Windows

Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:55 pm Post

Correct me if I am wrong, but from what Marilynx wrote I think she generally likes "correct spelling as you type" as it does indeed work and correct her typos (teh instead of the etc)

However, there seem to be some glitches (or pranks?) in this list, and editing this list cannot be done in "Edit Substitutions"

User avatar
pigfender
Posts: 2507
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:25 am
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS
Location: Cognitive dissonance
Contact:

Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:37 pm Post

StefanG wrote:Correct me if I am wrong,


ok

Marilynx wrote:I was hopping was that there might be a setting where it would underline unrecognized words, as opposed to changing them to the nearest approximation
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

Image
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

St
StefanG
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:38 pm
Platform: Windows

Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:45 pm Post

You are right. Guess I was misreading her saying....
Marilynx wrote:I do want it to auto-change things like hte to the.


Did not mean to disparage your suggestion, pigfender. It just sounded similar to what Chris had already offered (turn off "correct spelling..."). Since this did not address what I assumed to be the real issue, namely Auto-Correct and how to change some of its corrections as opposed to having them all enter again in the substitutions dialog ....

I will back off :?

Ma
Marilynx
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:26 pm
Platform: Windows

Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:29 pm Post

I've been using Word 2002 for ten years. <wry grin> You have any idea how many words a writer can enter to the "weird words" file in that time?


StefanG wrote:3rd option: Use an external program. This offers the advantage of needing to update only one list, instead of doing it seperately for every program.


I wouldn't have any idea where to look for such a program. I'm looking to Scrivener to make a common working program between me and my co-author because I've heard so many good things about it. And because neither of us can afford updated copies of Word. Finding other programs -- and paying for them -- is a problem.

Ma
Marilynx
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:26 pm
Platform: Windows

Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:41 pm Post

pigfender wrote:Sounds like - for your "Bjorn"correction issue at least - you need to turn off 'Correct spelling as you type' and instead use the Substitutions function - click on "Edit Substitutions" (it's in the same panel as the auto-correction options) and you can add things like Bjorn and teh in there.

PS - Don't forget to click "enable additional substitutions" as well.


Been there and tried that. Entering substitute Björn for Bjorn in substitutions results in no change whatsoever. Enable additional substitutions was/is checked on. (And yes, I know it's a two column table, and you enter the one to be changed in the left hand column, and what it's to be changed to in the right hand colum.)

Entering it in autocorrect gets the change the way I want it.

Unfortunately, today, Scrivener also changed "Berengaria" to "Benarr," and had to be instructed that "Berengaria" is a legitimate word/name.

St
StefanG
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:38 pm
Platform: Windows

Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:47 pm Post

Marilynx wrote:I've been using Word 2002 for ten years. <wry grin> You have any idea how many words a writer can enter to the "weird words" file in that time?

So why don't you ask Scrivener people how to import that file into auto-correct? I have done it before with other programs but not in Scriv, I cannot tell you how it works here.

I have become very reluctant to mention anything that may insinuate Scriv is not able to handle something as good as other software does. Search the web for "Auto", "Hotkey", "PhraseExpress" etc. It's all freeware I am talking about.

User avatar
Jaysen
Posts: 5746
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:00 am
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: East-Be-Jesus-Nowhere SC, USA

Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:16 pm Post

StefanG wrote:
Marilynx wrote:I've been using Word 2002 for ten years. <wry grin> You have any idea how many words a writer can enter to the "weird words" file in that time?

So why don't you ask Scrivener people how to import that file into auto-correct? I have done it before with other programs but not in Scriv, I cannot tell you how it works here.

I have become very reluctant to mention anything that may insinuate Scriv is not able to handle something as good as other software does. Search the web for "Auto", "Hotkey", "PhraseExpress" etc. It's all freeware I am talking about.

Actually that idea (import the odd word list) is a great idea. If someone like AmberV MM or one of the other official scriv support folks say "that feature isn't there" add it over on the wish list thread. I think KB would see value in this idea.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

Image

Ma
Marilynx
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:26 pm
Platform: Windows

Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:28 pm Post

StefanG wrote:So why don't you ask Scrivener people how to import that file into auto-correct? I have done it before with other programs but not in Scriv, I cannot tell you how it works here.


Well, for starters, I don't know how to EXPORT the file from Word 2002 into something which I could then ask people here how to IMPORT.

StefanG wrote:I have become very reluctant to mention anything that may insinuate Scriv is not able to handle something as good as other software does. Search the web for "Auto", "Hotkey", "PhraseExpress" etc. It's all freeware I am talking about.


I understand this as a difficulty. My main issue is trying to have two different computers set up the same way, which are 1100 miles apart.

St
StefanG
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:38 pm
Platform: Windows

Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:11 pm Post

Marilynx wrote:
StefanG wrote:I have become very reluctant to mention anything that may insinuate Scriv is not able to handle something as good as other software does.

I understand this as a difficulty.

Well, it made me watch my wording more carefully than in the past. Let me put it another way: If some features behave differently, or lack functions that we are used to from other software, it is probably intended this way.


Marilynx wrote:I don't know how to EXPORT the file from Word 2002 into something which I could then ask people here how to IMPORT.

That's easy. Auto correct lists have the extension .acl
They are plain text and can be read and edited by any text editor.
You find the file in your user profile. C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Office
Your path may be slightly different, depending on Windows and Word version.
I don't know about a Word 2002. Is this a Mac-version? I only know Word 2000, 2003, 2007 and 2010