Issue Accessing Backup

al
alextelander
Platform: Windows

Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:57 pm Post

Hi, I'm having an issue right now being able to access my backup of a really big project. I had some sort of file conflict earlier possibly with saving and now need to restore to an earlier backup, but when I go to open the backup .scriv file I get the following error message: Cannot access [location of file], File is not writable. Access is denied. Auto-saves need write permission to your project. [Photo attached].

If anyone can help on how I can get this sorted out I'd be very grateful. I've got 200,000 worked locked up in this project.

Thank you so much.
Attachments
backupissue.jpg
backupissue.jpg (76.24 KiB) Viewed 354 times

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:05 am Post

Copy the backup zip-file to another location, away from your backup folder. Then unzip it in that new location and make sure that you actually have unpacked the zip-file. Scrivener can't access the zip-file contents.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Ma
Major Major

Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:20 am Post

What Lunk said. Looks like you haven't unzipped the file..

al
alextelander

Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:46 am Post

lunk wrote:Copy the backup zip-file to another location, away from your backup folder. Then unzip it in that new location and make sure that you actually have unpacked the zip-file. Scrivener can't access the zip-file contents.

Thank you very much. All fixed now. With the new version of Windows I thought it was already unzipped.

Thanks again for your help and now I can stop panicking.