Is Scrivener for Windows Falling Off

DavidR
Platform: Windows

Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:32 pm Post

I should probably let dekade speak for himself, but my understanding is that his goal in the most recent post was precisely "to critique the site design from the point of view of a Windows user."

I know zip about marketing, so I can't decide between dekade's click-and-buy-from-first-page and Kathryn's explore-a-bit-and-figure-out-then-buy approaches. But clearly they are different approaches, and clearly each has been successful. My recollection's a bit hazy, but I think I was first referred to Scrivener by a writer friend several years ago, and I did (as I normally do) explore the then-existing Website before downloading the trial.

I do remember, though, that it was quite clear to me from near the top of the front page that Scrivener was available in a robust version for Windows. That is not clear from the current L&L front page, which doesn't mention Windows at all but does prominently feature Mac and iOS. If I came to that page today, I would definitely have to do some exploring to find out that there even is a current Windows version that many writers are using with great success. The Overview page has, near the top, assurances that Scrivener 3 is "in the works for Windows" and "will be a free update for all new Windows customers." Even the video only mentions syncing among Mac, Windows, and iOS. You have to scroll all the way to the bottom to get a clear Buy Now link for Windows.

So I think dekade has a reasonable point (even if poorly expressed in the OP): it's not stated on the current L&L front page, nor very obvious on the Overview page, that Scrivener is now a highly functioning Windows program, which it certainly is. The simplest blurb on the front page from a satisfied Windows user, and a slight tweaking of text early on the Overview page,* would alleviate this, and IMHO would encourage Windows users to do the exploring that they rightfully should do to make their buying decision.
----------------
*Tweak examples: "Scrivener is the go-to app for writers of all kinds on Mac, Windows, or iOS"; "will be a free update for customers who buy the current Windows version now."
David
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.7
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

What's the difference between a free lance and a loose cannon?

De
Dekade

Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:08 pm Post

kewms wrote:. . .I'm not sure what your latest missive is . . . Or is your goal to critique the site design from the point of view of a Windows user?

If the latter, I should point out that we *want* people to explore a bit . . .

Katherine

Katherine, I need to call you out on your reply. I will support and concede to anything anyone says in rebuttal on any forum as long as it has sustainable merit.

My post clearly references specific TOP LEVEL clicks. My latest post clearly defines my objective. I am critiquing the overabundance of visual eye candy pointed at Mac. I am not saying anything, at this point, about what is downstream of your referenced SECOND LEVEL and THIRD LEVEL clicks. The screen shots you presented 'do not' 'immediately' link to the advancement of understanding that there is also a Windows OS; nor its current version. You have stated aspects about the 'overview' page . . . I said nothing in my latest post about the overview page.

A misunderstanding has additionally occurred regarding the subject of ' . . . wanting people to explore . . .'.

I do not in my latest post speak against navigating and exploring. My latest post encourages exploring stemming from any excitement generated by absorbing any key clause(s) pointing to BOTH mac and windows, from the home page, and currently not present on the home page. CLEAR emphasis of the existence of BOTH OS's solidifies the potential purchasers mind towards thinking that L&L must really have their game going because they are CLEARLY supporting multiple platforms and the advancement of their software and progressive versions upon those platforms. Henceforth, a purchaser receives an immediate guarantee that they the purchaser will not be left in the dust by purchasing from L&L.That is the missing drawing card of the home page, fact.

When I say - and I quote - "... a SALE is CLOSED without any clicking..." here is how you must understand that marketing concept: A purchaser has to first clear their mind of need to search further on the internet UNTIL they have continually, positively, stirred their inner high levels of anticipation by further studying just how great SCRIVENER will be for them, via the entire website content.

The responsibility of a home page is to anchor positive core belief and positive core favorable prejudice to your product. Any website down linking retains the sole responsibility of affirmation towards the core proclamations and the core 'sustainable' effect of the home page.

From that point on any mistake made by a customer purchasing your product(s) is now their responsibility.

You can create false guilt and choose to shy away from positive mind control of a purchaser based merely upon worrying that they will get your products and dislike it. That is not assertive control over a market place. If you have FAITH in your product(s) - then for crying out loud by all means - - - BE ASSERTIVE, BE PROUD, BE BOASTFUL, BE COERCIVE and your FAITH will back all that up; because - FAITH can only be obtained through the acquisition of BELIEF in a superior technically developed product that does what it proclaims.

If the L&L marketing team does not want the public to believe that their product will produce, before purchase, - then the green light exists to downplay a superb technically designed creation. Positive mindset is the path to riches and success.

Dekade

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:54 pm Post

Three points come to mind:

1) Windows users wanting parity with Mac has long been a frequent complaint. Now that Scrivener 3 is here, perhaps L&L is trying to do what it can to *de-emphasize* Scrivener for Windows until 3 is ready. (Pure speculation on my part, as is anyone trying to ascribe motive without asking.)

2) Perhaps L&L does not see its website as an engine for driving every possible sale it can, and designs to a different set of priorities than yours? Which, again, does not make them wrong, just makes them different. They, after all, have their own set of commercial successes to boast and have been steadily growing their customer base.

3) There is no advice worse than unasked-for advice, no matter how accurate it may or may not be. Especially once that advice has been offered and refused.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:25 pm Post

Dekade wrote:Having started with $11 to our name (in the basement of our USA home) in 1984 my wife and I proceeded to create, over the next 30 years, a multi tens of millions of dollars international medical company. We wore all the hats in the beginning years. That said, image was our main focus - to create an appearance that we were bigger than we actually were and muffle the fact that we would eventually be as big as we appeared. Our marketing succeeded. Our image became our industry's "standard".

Now, one final thing. I said the above paragraph ONLY to provide a credential. I have no need in life to flaunt achievement. I have received my accolades over the years and seek not to acquire any further accolades via self awarded brownie points.

Dekade wrote:Anxious for the Win OS upgrade.

Dean

Dean...Kamen?

De
Dekade

Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:58 pm Post

JimRac wrote:Dean...Kamen?

Sorry JimRac, I don't know what you mean here. Kamen is not my last name if that's what you meant.

De
Dekade

Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:18 am Post

devinganger wrote:Three points come to mind: . . .

Wow. I am up against something with this thread that is bigger than my heart. I have to surrender.

Henceforth, I ask the forum to accept the following from me -

I sincerely mean it when I say - I am sorry for my contribution to the volatile world we all reside in; by posting my thread.
I sincerely mean it when I say - I am sorry for offending/insulting anyone's intelligence.
I sincerely mean it when I say - I am sorry for going into territory that did not want me.
I sincerely mean it when I say - I am sorry for inadvertently displaying an ego trip about my past.
I sincerely mean it when I say - I am sorry for muddying the forum with an inappropriate thread.
I sincerely mean it when I say - I am sorry for inadvertently causing any harm of any sort to this forum or the moderators.
I sincerely mean it when I say - and last but not least, I deeply apologize to Literature and Latte for challenging/scrutinizing their success.

I will refrain from ever doing any of the above again.

I only ask that should I ever post a thread requesting Scrivener technical support from the forum--that I am not shunned.

To the forum in closing - May all the forum participants dreams of success, through writing, be realized and experienced to the fullest extents possible.

Kind Regards to ALL,

Dekade

Ji
JimRac

Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:57 am Post

Dekade wrote:
JimRac wrote:Dean...Kamen?

Sorry JimRac, I don't know what you mean here. Kamen is not my last name if that's what you meant.

Yes, that's what I meant.

I thought I'd ask, as you and Dean Kamen seem to have a few things in common:
- Same first name
- Started successful medical company in the 80's
- Accolades
- Dekade is nearly same as Kamen's company Deka.

Ah well. :)

Jim

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:10 am Post

Dekade wrote:May all the forum participants dreams of success, ...

Dekade wrote: Positive mindset is the path to riches and success.

(my bold)

Maybe part of the confusion has to do with this initial assumption or point of view? What if "riches and success" isn't what is driving everyone? Reading this thread, two quotes by Robert Townsend comes to mind:

"Getting there is not half the fun – it is ALL the fun."

"If you don't do it excellently, don't do it at all. Because if it's not excellent, it won't be profitable or fun, and if you're not in business for fun or profit, what the hell are you doing there?"

Fun OR profit! You might be doing something primarily because it's fun, not because it will bring you riches and success. Persuading a reluctant buyer to actually buy might result in a disappointed buyer and that's not fun.

Right now the Windows version is still version 1, not at all in parity with the Mac version 3, so it seems fair to take it easy on the web site, so as not to trick Windows users into thinking that there are equally good versions for both Mac and Windows.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Ar
Argoed

Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:33 am Post

I have a (admittedly unasked for) suggestion that might help with that.

Suppose that your OP, in its entirety, had been something along the lines of: "I haven't been on the L&L website in quite a while. Can someone please update me regarding L&L's plans for the Windows version of Scrivener?"

That simple question would likely have garnered multiple replies from the genuinely kind-hearted and helpful folk who frequent these forums.
So my (unrequested) suggestion is: If you have a question, the most efficient way to get it answered is simply to ask it. And leave out all that other stuff. :)

I wasn't aware either JimRac that we had to conform to your guide on posting. I was not aware that you had joined the moderation team. So if the OP had used your guidelines, he would have had a reply from the kind and warm hearted posters you quote, and maybe not your rude insult?

De
Dekade

Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:37 pm Post

JimRac wrote:. . .Ah well. :)

Jim

No problem. I thought that's where you were going.

By the way forum . . . everyone is making good argument/opinion. All of which is well suited for the boardroom. I just didn't feel I should any longer invite personal criticism or inappropriately chastise L&L and/or the forum by being an instigator of tension, and uncharacteristically represent promotion of financial greed as might stem from my personal stories, viewpoints, and practiced methods; via a constrained background profile of myself. (Wow, Yuk . . . long, bad grammar sentence. :) )

Ji
JimRac

Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:17 pm Post

Argoed wrote:I wasn't aware either JimRac that we had to conform to your guide on posting. I was not aware that you had joined the moderation team.

It was a suggestion, sorry my wording wasn't clear enough.

Argoed wrote:So if the OP had used your guidelines, he would have had a reply from the kind and warm hearted posters you quote, and maybe not your rude insult?

Yes.

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:00 pm Post

kewms wrote:Attached please find two screenshots, both from the main Scrivener product page. http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener/overview

Products1.png

Products2.png

If by "main page", you mean the page that loads when one first visits the link http://literatureandlatte.com, then those images/links are not present. They are available via the (sub?) page accessed via the "Download Free Trial" button though. For some reason, when I went looking for the trial downloads, I ended up clicking the Buy Now button instead--I guess the red of "Buy Now" really drew my eye away from its immediate surroundings.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".