How to Do Regular Cloud Backups on Windows Version

Sh
Shaesays
Platform: Windows

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:30 pm Post

Hi all,

New here. Sorry if this has been posted before but I did a search and couldn't find it.

When I researched and paid for Scrivener I was under the impression it would automatically sync or backup to Box all the time. Now it looks like that might be a Mac only thing? And I didn't see it addressed in the tutorial.

I'd like for my work to be backed up regularly and automatically to a cloud service (preferably Google Drive but I'll take Box if needed) without my having to manually do something, in case of local computer failure.

Let me know if anyone can point me in the right direction to do this.

Thanks,
Shae

Ma
Major Major

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:04 pm Post

Dropbox is the recommended cloud storage for Scrivener. Do a search on these forums for it.

OwenKelly
Platform: Win + iOS

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:02 am Post

I use Scrivener on Windows and iPad. Both store my work in Dropbox/apps/Scrivener. They then sync completely automatically as part of my Drobox syncing. I have done this for several years and, as long as I make sure that syncing has completed, I have no problems at all.

I save my backups into a different folder on a removable drive, which I back up manually using FreeFileSync.

Cheers
Owen

Sh
Shaesays

Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:13 pm Post

Thanks for the replies. I guess it's just me, but I can't figure out how to set the backup path. I've done a search here and in the documentation.

Surely I'm just putting the Dropbox URL and authentication info somewhere in the settings in Scrivener? Can someone tell me where this is? My best guess was to replace the PC backup path in Options with the Dropbox URL, but that was rejected. Or if someone can point me to the documentation on how to this that would be great. Thanks!

Sp
SpringfieldMH
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:43 pm Post

On Windows and Mac OS X, you need to install the DropBox client and specify a local folder (typically named DropBox) on your computer that DropBox is to watch and back up. As far as Scrivener is concerned, you then need to assure that material you want backed up resides in or gets saved or copied into that local DropBox folder (which the DropBox client will then take care of). Scrivener and DropBox don't know or need to know anything about each other. The DropBox client services whatever material any app places into the specified folder. You can employ several approaches for using DropBox to back up Scrivener projects. Create or (one time only) move project (entire .scriv folder) somewhere inside the DropBox folder. Tell Scrivener to do autobackups to somewhere inside the DropBox folder. Periodically do a File > Back Up > Back Up To of the project to somewhere inside the DropBox folder. Etc. Whatever way(s) you use, once such live project or backup material is inside the DropBox folder, the DropBox client will take care of backing it up. As far as setting the backup path in Scrivener, it will be something like Tools > Options > Backup > Backup location: (navigate to/type in desired location). The manual File > Back Up > Back Up To option I mentioned before can point elsewhere... as I recall, it defaults to wherever you told it last time. So, you have at least three options/locations... the live project location, the autobackup location, and the Back Up To option. And you can always manually copy such material elsewhere via WIndows file explorer. No URL (web address) is required or involved.
YOU MAY WANT TO READ L&L'S NOTE ON THIS...
https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb ... c-services
You may also want to search these forums and the manual (Help > Scrivener Manual) for "DropBox".

POSSIBLY OUTDATED AS OF iOS 11 -- On iOS, this is different. On iOS, apps are sandboxed/segregated from each other for security sake, so the iOS DropBox app (is a separate sandboxed/segregated app rather than a client providing services machine wide) cannot provide such a service. (Someone correct me if this has changed, particularly in iOS 11). The presence of the iOS app is irrelevant, at least as far as backing up or opening/launching live iOS Scrivener projects goes (I don't know if there is a way to do some sort of export out of iOS Scrivener that might prove accessible to the iOS DropBox app). Instead, iOS Scrivener actually has internal code that interfaces directly with DropBox. Basically, on iOS, one uses Scrivener itself and only itself to deal with Scrivener projects, including the built-in DropBox functionality.
YOU MAY WANT TO READ L&L'S NOTE...
http://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb/ ... g-with-ios

In my case, I have my live Scrivener project (entire projectname.scriv folder) in C:\users\MYUSERNAME\DropBox\ScrivIOS (since I use both the Windows and iOS versions of Scrivener to work on it), my autobackups local in C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Scrivener\Scrivener\Backups (this is where Scrivener defaults the autobackups to go, though you can change that), and my manual "Back Up To" backups in C:\users\MYUSERNAME\DropBox\projectname. (Other locations and names may make more sense for you.) Plus, I periodically manually copy compressed (zipped) versions of the project off to USB thumb drives and to burnable DVD disks. Compressing (zipping) backups condenses them down to single smaller physical files that lend themselves to copying and backing up, though one must subsequently decompress (unzip) them back into projectname.scriv folder form before Scrivener can work on them,.

Hope that helps.

P.S. POSSIBLY OUTDATED -- Don't attempt to open Scrivener projects via web browser access or the iOS DropBox app. Only open Scrivener projects with Scrivener itself either from within Scrivener or by launching the projectname.scrivx file found in the projectname.scriv folder (whereas on Mac OS X, the folder and file are "packaged" so as to appear to be a single thing)..
I'm a Scrivener enthusiast and experienced in PC/network support... but I am not a Scrivener expert. And I'm still editing on my first book. So take any opinion or advice I offer with a large grain of salt.

ja
jackirby

Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:04 am Post

Try Dropbox. It's the recommended cloud storage for Scrivener