"Name of setting" appears in every new file

jo
joespringza
Platform: Windows

Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:15 am Post

AmberV wrote:The shortcut for the second is Ctrl-T, Ctrl-N, not just Ctrl-N. If you don’t use the T first it won’t trigger.

Thanks for that clarification. Yes, I misread it as two alternatives but you're right it is a sequence.

Nevertheless, the bug remains. As others have mentioned in this thread, it even happens after clearing templates and deleting the templates folder. I even tried creating a new templates folder with blank contents, but it still loads a Character Sheet when I press Ctrl-N or use the green plus icon.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:05 pm Post

Again though, this is something we need a live sample on our systems to further analyse.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Av
Avenue Potter

Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:52 pm Post

I am having this exact same problem. I thought it was just me and have been trying for weeks to reset it to no avail because I could not figure out how to. But I DID force it to kinda work by deleting all templates and making new ones and then going all the way to choosing New From Template and then choosing the actual template I wanted every time. The formerly handy green + button doesn't work (it inserts your Character Sheet Template that I no longer use and have since deleted - removed it from trash too). And choosing New File or New Folder from the drop down menu also inserts this Character Sheet Template. And this goes for all cards I add to the corkboard too. I try to ignore what they look like though and just keep right clicking and adding. The actual formatting when I'm outlining is less important to me, so it's okay if these insert as Character Sheet Templates I guess.

I use Scrivener on both my laptop and desktop (they are running Windows 10) and I installed Scrivener on my iPad too. Didn't see the problem until that happened. Also, using Scrivener on my iPad wipes out all of my formatting when it syncs to what I have on my other two computers, so unless I'm using a corkboard for an outline or adding text to a character sheet, etc. I'm hesitant to even use it and regret purchasing it because this renders it almost useless for me. I wanted to be able to write and add to my stories while I travel and having to go back and remember where I italicized, etc. to fix everything I've already written is highly inefficient and some things get missed. Also, icons don't sync. I wasted a lot of time updating stuff on my corkboard in the app so that I could visually differentiate cards on the corkboard and none of it carried over to my computers. And now some icons are also randomly turning red!

One of the first things I did once I had Scrivener on my iPad was mess around with the Character Sheet template for the first time - changed the formatting from your default. Perhaps this triggered the weird stuff that is happening with the add button, drop down menu, etc now? Just a thought because it started happening immediately after I did this. I'm more than happy to send you the Scrivener project I am working on so that you can see what I'm encountering (hopefully).

Oh, and I sync with Dropbox if that's helpful. Often it tells me there's an open project elsewhere when there isn't one. So then I go back and double check to make sure Scrivener's closed on my machines and that Dropbox has fully finished syncing and I even turn off my iPad sometimes too just in case (after Scrivener's already closed there as well) and it still tells me that a project is open. Usually it will load just fine with no conflicts despite the warning though. Only had the conflicts folder populate three times so far. It's a nice feature. :-)

Where/how can I send you my Scrivener project?

Ka
Kasani

Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:21 pm Post

I'm also having this problem.
The first thing I did upon making my project was to create a handful of templates for different types of character sheets. But now, whenever I try to create a new file, unless I specifically use "New from template..." it automatically assigns one of the templates that I created. The same one, every time. Which makes it impossible to create a simple blank document. I have tried cancelling the templates folder, and I deleted the template that keeps getting used, and emptied the trashcan, so theoretically that particular character sheet template no longer exists within the project. However, even despite that, whenever I try to create a new file or folder (via "New File" or "New Folder") it creates that same character sheet instead, even though it shouldn't even exist anymore.
Sometimes it randomly switches back to creating normal blank documents for a while. Then for no apparent reason it'll switch back to only creating character sheets. So I figure it's a glitch.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:06 pm Post

Where/how can I send you my Scrivener project?

Best thing to do would be to use the File/Back Up/Back Up To... menu command and save that to your desktop with the zip compression option enabled. You can then send that in via our contact page, using the appropriate email address at the bottom of the form (since you can’t attach with the form).

Thanks in advance!
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles