PDFs not displaying

th
theoldgringo
Platform: Windows

Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:54 pm Post

Just installed Scriv 1.9.6 on new Windows 10 PC laptop, and no pdf files will display. Synopsis, meta-data and doc notes all appear, but I get nothing but a blank screen in center section. Tried small and large pdf files -- all stored in cloud and on local drive. Worked well with previous install on old machine. Thinking it must be a config problem, but can't figger which con to fig. :| (Perhaps there's an answer in the forum somewhere, but I can't find it. I've tried.) Any ideas? Thanks.

Sp
SpringfieldMH
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:42 am Post

A couple of things to try...
- Make sure are in document view, rather than corkboard or outliner.
- Try the Open in External Editor option

There may be other possibilities.
I'm a Scrivener enthusiast and experienced in PC/network support... but I am not a Scrivener expert. And I'm still editing on my first book. So take any opinion or advice I offer with a large grain of salt.

th
theoldgringo

Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:58 pm Post

thanks, springfield. No luck. Made sure I was in doc view, tried external and other editor, nothing. Just have a blank screen for pdfs in doc view. Images show fine, text files show fine, no pdf. Wondering if i've got some wierd adobe pdf program installed on this machine, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Any other suggestions appreciated.

us
usagi_joou

Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:49 am Post

I'll also be really grateful if someone could help with the problem. Pdf is in Research folder, no problem, but it's just blank.

ni
nicoleb

Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:11 pm Post

Hello,

I have the same problem. I would be grateful if someone had a suggestion.
Cheers, Nicole

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:44 pm Post

theoldgringo wrote:thanks, springfield. No luck. Made sure I was in doc view, tried external and other editor, nothing. Just have a blank screen for pdfs in doc view. Images show fine, text files show fine, no pdf. Wondering if i've got some wierd adobe pdf program installed on this machine, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Any other suggestions appreciated.

If open in external editor doesn't work, then you may need to install something like Adobe Reader, so that you can at least view it in the appropriate program.

As for viewing the PDF inside Scrivener, try different viewing options (single page vs. continuous) in the right-click menu when attempting to view the pdf. I know there's an issue on Scriv v2 for Mac that is alleviated by viewing as a page, vs continuous scrolling, maybe the same problem exists in the Windows version's pdf viewing code?
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

st
steveshank

Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:49 pm Post

Just to see if I understand what this is about. You are inserting a PDF document in the middle of an RTF document and expect Scrivener to display both type of files correctly inside a single window? Is such a thing possible? I would never imagine even trying this. All the current browsers have pdf viewers in them, Chrome, Firefox, Edge etc. and they are all terrible crappy viewers that fail on lots of pdf documents. Why would we think the Scrivener staff could insert a better viewer inside their document view?

Why not have a folder for support documents or whatever and insert a link to the appropriate pdf file so you can view it in a good pdf viewer?

If you wanted you could have a comment giving a synopsis of the file.

Again, jump on me and correct me if I'm off base. I'm an old man and maybe programmers have learned to do things that just seem impossible to me.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:43 am Post

theoldgringo wrote:Just installed Scriv 1.9.6 ...

Isn’t 1.9.7 the latest version?

devinganger
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:07 am Post

Now, yes, but was it when the OP first posted this thread?
--
Devin L. Ganger
Devin on Earth: http://www.devinonearth.com/
Plotter on the streets, pantser in the sheets

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:59 pm Post

I just thought that maybe this problem (if it is one) has been solved?

ni
nicoleb

Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:58 pm Post

Hello,

I don't now why, but I found a solution to the PDF display problem I had:
If I click the arrow in the PDF display window "up" or "down" ("previous" or "next document"), it suddenly shows the PDF and from that time on, it will display the whole session.
Don't ask me why - it was try and error on all the buttons....
Cheers, Nicole