Anybody tried Scrivener with an Ultra HD (4K) monitor

ro
rontarrant
Platform: Windows

Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:54 pm Post

Yup. Something like this (see link) would make more sense, a curved screen 3440x1440.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/del ... 912081en02

Wa
Wat

Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:02 pm Post

Would just like to add my QQ. Scrivener is unusable for me at high resolution. :/

jj
jje

Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:05 am Post

PKoster (above) posted a link to a blog post by Dan Antonielli that explained how to fix this problem with Adobe apps. (Here's the link http://www.danantonielli.com/adobe-app-scaling-on-high-dpi-displays-fix/)

I finally got around to trying this with Scrivener and it works a treat! :D

If you would like to try, follow the instructions on Dan's post. I attach my Scrivener manifest file, but it's only a renamed copy of one of Dan's; it doesn't need to be customised for Scrivener in any way.

Two final points: I find this works best if you set Scrivener's Windows Compatibility Properties (right-click on the Scrivener icon in the start menu and choose the "Compatibility" tab) to allow "display scaling on high DPI displays" (i.e. untick the box that disables this if necessary). Also, you can use the Font options in Scrivener (Under "Tools | Options | Appearance | Fonts") to make various default font sizes bigger, so that you can make them readable when sitting a comfortable distance from the screen.

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:17 am Post

rontarrant wrote:Yup. Something like this (see link) would make more sense, a curved screen 3440x1440.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/del ... 912081en02

Just wanted to mention that I recently acquired one of these lovely monitors, and while it's not a 4K monitor the scaling issue can make it a challenge. However, following the directions linked to by jje and PKoster, it seems to fix some of them.

Note: all screenshots were taken at of Scrivener full screen at UWHQ resolution (3440x1440), but to get the pictures uploaded I had to resize them 66.7% to get the files under the size limit. They are still useful to compare against each other.

Here's the baseline Scrivener with 100% scaling, without the manifest fix; many folks may find this text to be a bit too small for comfort:
Scrivener-UWHQ-100scaling-nomanifest.jpg
Scriverner on UWHQ at 100%, no manifest fix
Scrivener-UWHQ-100scaling-nomanifest.jpg (775.23 KiB) Viewed 2405 times

100% with the manifest fix shows no difference, as expected.

Now at 125% scaling in Windows, without the manifest fix:
Scrivener-UWHQ-125scaling-nomanifest.jpg
Scriverner on UWHQ at 125%, no manifest fix
Scrivener-UWHQ-125scaling-nomanifest.jpg (758.44 KiB) Viewed 2405 times

And finally, at 125% scaling with the manifest fix:
Scrivener-UWHQ-125scaling-withmanifest.jpg
Scriverner on UWHQ at 125% with manifest fix
Scrivener-UWHQ-125scaling-withmanifest.jpg (638.56 KiB) Viewed 2405 times

Jo
JonStonecash

Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:31 pm Post

Thank You! My old eyes can see again.

Jon Stonecash

Si
Sierro

Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:27 am Post

I had this issue on my XPS 13, the manifest fix worked PERFECTLY :lol:

jj
jje

Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:43 pm Post

Windows 10

just a small update to my previous post. I recently upgraded to Windows 10, which (naturally) recreated the registry so the fix stopped working. However, repeating the registry edit described in the previous post fixed the problem again (the old manifest file was still there, and the fix works under Windows 10).

Sp
SpringfieldMH
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:14 pm Post

I discuss my positive experience in doing this on a 4K 50 inch big screen TV here...
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=32268

To be clear, my focus was on getting the equivalent of 4 HD monitors ganged together in a 2x2 stack, as opposed to ultra-smooth text. Basically, same dot pitch/dots per inch/text size as on 25 inch HD monitor, but with 4 times as much material on screen. Basically, a really big "desktop".
I'm a Scrivener enthusiast and experienced in PC/network support... but I am not a Scrivener expert. And I'm still editing on my first book. So take any opinion or advice I offer with a large grain of salt.

narrsd
Platform: Win + iOS

Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:26 am Post

Actually, on Windows 10 there's a simple setting which may ease the pain with these highest resolution monitors, without any registry changes or manifest files.

- open Settings near the bottom of your Start menu
- click System, upper left of the buttons
- You'll find Display -- Customize Your Display already selected
- Adjust the top slider, Change the size of text, apps, etc.. You can choose 100%, 125%, or 150% to suit your display - 100% is recommended for normal size screens as it says, for those of us not needing this.
- When you click Apply, your Scrivener window will immediately show the difference, so you can see which sizing suits you best.
- It's easy to reset this scaling if you don't want it on another program. You can access it also from right-click on the Desktop, choosing Display Settings, which will bring you directly to the screen with the slider.

Noted also:

- This will also change the sizing of most other programs, including the Adobe suites at CS6 at least. As the alert after the Apply says, you may need also to log out and in to see changes, but not for these.
- if you want to change _only_ Scrivener's sizing, then you need the registry and manifest file, applied with due care -- see the later notes off the originators website comments trying to help people.
- in those comments, it was also suggested to use a Windows enviromental variable, UI_SCALE_FACTOR. However, as best I can determine, this works only for certain (2014) Adobe CC (subscription) software.