Closing Project without closing Scrivener

Lee Lacuna
Platform: Windows

Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:06 am Post

Something I have a problem with is that where I'm working on multiple projects but have only one open, when I click on Close Project it closes Scrivener completely, when what I want to do is to close that project so that I can open another while still in Scrivener, which would be the normal operation in most apps I use.
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Scrivener 1.9.7.0

sh
shass

Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:38 am Post

Hello Lee,
Do you have the ' Show start panel when no projects are open' box ticked at Options / General. When you close a project using Files / Close project. Scrivener returns you to this panel and you select another of your projects to work on.

Lee Lacuna

Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:37 am Post

Aaaah! No, I never realised that was what it did. Thanks.
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Scrivener 1.9.7.0

ki
kimballjohnson

Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:30 am Post

Gee whiz!!

What is wrong with writing a program with standardized operations?

So you wrote a program called startup that opened a splash screen instead of opening the application.
Then you said: we need a reason for the splash screen so you put the 'choose a new/used file selection in the splash screen.
Then you open the application when the user 'opens' the new/used file.

So when we want to close the program, you don't open the splash screen (you're right its pretty useless most of the time) but you didn't think through the open close process and realize that closing the file doesn't mean the user wants to pack up and go home, they just want to put the file on the shelf for a while.

But instead of realizing the user should open the application and close the application using the APPLICATION WINDOW and then OPEN THE FILE and CLOSE THE FILE using the FILE FEATURE, you make us figure out that you didn't want to change your incorrect design so you handle this PRIMARY USE CASE by burying a flag in the settings!!

Wow! and you don't realize what a hack that is?? YES, you have some functionality bananas! But your crafting of the features we need is like... monkey-shines!

DavidR

Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:50 pm Post

First of all, welcome back to the forums. Second of all--wow, that's a lot of mind-reading.

Please note that you're replying to a thread that hasn't had any action in over 4 years. Functionality may have changed since then. Are you yourself having a specific problem with Scrivener that you'd like to get solved? Let us know and we (your fellow users, who are most of the people on this forum, though Scrivener staff do pop in and comment regularly) will give it a try.

WRT closing projects: Using Scrivener for Windows v. 1.9 under Windows 7, I've got 3 projects open. I can close any one of them individually by (A) doing File > Close Project (not Close All Projects); (B) using Ctrl+F4; (C) clicking the red X/Close box in the top right of the window. I believe that all 3 of these would qualify as a "standardized operation." Any of them will close the project currently in view; other open Scrivener projects remain open and unscathed. This is true irrespective of whether I have "Show start panel when no projects are open" checked.
David
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.7
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

What's the difference between a free lance and a loose cannon?

Ar
Argoed

Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:00 am Post

Hello Kimball,
The 'Splash Screen' as you call it may be pretty useless to you, but for most users it is an important and very frequently used feature. You are jumping to a conclusion that Scrivener should work how you want it to, and not as it was designed. There is no open a file at the splash screen just as you cannot close a file and open another in the program. What you are working on is a project. This is a collection of files which includes all the information the program requires for your particular project. Collections, settings, various documents ect. Each project needs to open in the Scrivener program and as such you may if you wish run more than one project. Most users, when using the program as designed, close an unwanted project and then open one they want to work on in the 'splash screen' You know, the one you said is useless.

Should you not be happy with the way the program works then design and produce a better one. The very many professional writers, authors, academics ect, that use Scrivener on a daily basis would, I feel sure, look forward to you showing us your skills.

DavidR

Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:47 pm Post

Argoed wrote:Most users, when using the program as designed, close an unwanted project and then open one they want to work on in the 'splash screen' You know, the one you said is useless.

And an alternative or supplement to this is to use the File > Recent Projects menu, without recourse to the "splash screen." That can be configured (via Tools > Options > General > Saving) to hold up to 40 recently opened projects. I've got it set to 15. This is handy if you have several projects that need attention at the moment, or are in some way related to one another. None of this is really that complicated; the "splash screen" method may be unique to Scrivener, but it is quite convenient when, as you say, it is used as intended.
David
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Bridey
Platform: Mac

Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:25 pm Post

On macOS devices, if a user clicks on a specific file/project in the Finder (akin to File Explorer in Windows), it will open in its designated app, ready for editing,

If a user just has the app open without a file/project loaded, they are presented with a splash screen asking what they want to do: choose a template or open a recent document, As in Scrivener, this behaviour is configurable. It's a good design, especially as it is configurable.

Scrivener for Windows follows Scrivener for Mac's road map in order to try to offer feature parity (as much as the OS differences will allow).

DavidR

Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:32 pm Post

Bridey wrote:On macOS devices, if a user clicks on a specific file/project in the Finder (akin to File Explorer in Windows), it will open in its designated app, ready for editing,

Yes, this method also works in the current Scrivener for Windows: just find the [Project name].scrivx file for your project in File Explorer and double-click, and Scrivener opens to the selected project. If Scrivener is already running, it opens the project in addition to any others that are already open.
David
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Bridey
Platform: Mac

Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:53 pm Post

Yes. Just trying to help @kimballjohnson. Really don't understand their evident angst when the settings are easy to change.