Disappearing footnotes (compile to pdf)

ho
honestmark
Platform: Mac

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:21 am Post

I use Scrivener for my PhD thesis and make extensive use of footnotes. In some cases, footnotes are long, with many literature references.

Under certain circumstances, a footnote is not included in the compile. I attach a pdf with an example. You will notice that footnote 3 carries over to the next page - as it should - and that the compiler continues with footnote 5 on the next page.

Where is my footnote 4?
Attachments
lorum ipsum.pdf
footnotes
(54.75 KiB) Downloaded 34 times

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:37 pm Post

Since this PDF looks to have been generated with sample data, would it be possible to get a copy of the test project you used to generate the PDF? That would make it very easy for us to see the problem first hand and fix it. Just use File ▸ Back Up ▸ Back Up To... to save the project with zip compression and attach it to a response here.

It does look like you found an edge case that is dropping footnote data.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

ho
honestmark
Platform: Mac

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:35 pm Post

Hi AmberV, thank you. Please find attached.

Mark
Attachments
2017 Thesis.zip
(784.03 KiB) Downloaded 30 times

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:27 am Post

Many thanks! Easy enough to reproduce; I’ll send a copy to the programmer once he’s off holiday. Meanwhile if you’re in a dire deadline state, this is purely a layout issue with our bespoke PDF footnote code. Sending off a copy as RTF to a desktop publishing / word processing program will produce a much better result.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles