Custom metadata value lost at autosave

SarsenLintel
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:50 pm Post

This is maybe more just user sloppiness rather than an actual bug, but I was experiencing some issues of custom metadata values being lost occasionally and I finally tracked down the cause.

If you have either a brand new document or a newly edited one that it is in an unsaved state AND you have just entered a value in a metadata field AND you leave the cursor blinking in that field - when the autosave interval passes and the doc is saved, the metadata field is cleared.*

In my case I was adding the metadata via a Keyboard Maestro macro so it took me a while to figure out why I was having missing data here and there. The fix was pretty simple just hit Return or change the focus away from the newly edited metadata field before the autosave interval passes.

But if possible, it might not be a terrible idea to have Scriv automatically close any open metadata fields before saving.

* other variations that have turned up while testing:
  • if you've changed the document and changed the value of the metadata, the metadata value reverts back to what it was originally on save.
  • as above, but hitting CMD+S to save, rather than waiting for the autosave

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:36 pm Post

Thanks, fixed for 3.0.2.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Na
Natsam
Platform: Mac

Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:03 pm Post

I'm a new user and I'm attempting to post something to any forum that will allow me to, and there is no New Topic button to do this. Can you help me? Thank you!

SarsenLintel
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:17 pm Post

Make sure you're actually viewing the forum section you want to post in, ie Mac Tech Support and not, say, the Active Topics or New Posts views.

The New Topic button should be pretty hard to miss up at the top, like so:

Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 12.14.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 12.14.15 PM.png (24.11 KiB) Viewed 613 times