Occasional, random crashes....

se
se1961
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:00 pm
Platform: Mac

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:31 pm Post

Hello!

I am working in Scrivener 3, and every now and then, usually when idle, Scrivener just shuts down. Yesterday it happened when I was working in another document: I saw the little "S" bouncing in the dock, and Scrivener disappeared. I use Google Backup and Sync to back up my documents folder (I have done so for years, without any problems). Could this be giving Scrivener trouble? I know that Google isn't recommended for sync, but backing up should be supported, right?

Regrettably I don't have the most recent crash report, but as soon as I get one, I'll post it. I just wanted to mark the behavior, because in all my years using Scrivener this has never happened. :cry:

User avatar
KB
Site Admin
Posts: 19299
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:23 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Truro, Cornwall
Contact:

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:52 pm Post

Hi,

There are a couple of common crashes I've found and fixed for 3.0.1, but yours sounds different, as the ones I know about occur when launching the app or opening a project. So if you find a crash log that can be posted, that would be really helpful. Incidentally, you can find recent crash logs in ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

se
se1961
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:00 pm
Platform: Mac

Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:18 pm Post

I know this happened at least once yesterday, and the day before, so I went into the Library/Logs/Diagnostic Reports folder and didn't find a single crash report. I'm attaching a screenshot. This is interesting, because when I was searching the forum for other reports of this behavior, I ran across I someone saying that a multi-markdown program causes Scrivener 3 to "silently exit". I don't use MMD, but the phrase caught my attention, because I don't recall getting any prompts when Scrivener shuts down in this way. In other words, when it happens, Scrivener might be "silently exiting..."

I'm sure it's SOMETHING my computer is doing in the background, Google Backup or something else. I'll start paying more attention to when and how it happens, and report back with any clues.

Needs to be said: your program is synonymous with "write" to me. I am deeply grateful for all the hard work that you do. I'm sure you have changed many lives, as you have changed mine.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 9.11.15 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 9.11.15 AM.png (113.8 KiB) Viewed 323 times

se
se1961
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:00 pm
Platform: Mac

Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:44 pm Post

UPDATE!

It's a FEATURE:

Scrivener/Preferences/Automatic Quit

I have disabled it. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Apparently this program has gotten way too smart for me.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 9.42.26 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 9.42.26 AM.png (48.84 KiB) Viewed 321 times

User avatar
KB
Site Admin
Posts: 19299
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:23 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Truro, Cornwall
Contact:

Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:20 pm Post

A-ha! That' makes sense. That option isn't on by default, so you must have turned it on at some point when playing around the new features. It's quite a useful option if you use Scrivener between machines, as it makes it less likely that you'll try to open Scrivener on one machine when it's still open on another.

Anyway, glad you've got it sorted and that it wasn't a crash after all!

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

User avatar
xiamenese
Posts: 3442
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:32 am
Platform: Mac
Location: London or Exeter, UK.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:49 pm Post

se1961 wrote:Hello!

I am working in Scrivener 3, and every now and then, usually when idle, Scrivener just shuts down. Yesterday it happened when I was working in another document: I saw the little "S" bouncing in the dock, and Scrivener disappeared. I use Google Backup and Sync to back up my documents folder (I have done so for years, without any problems). Could this be giving Scrivener trouble? I know that Google isn't recommended for sync, but backing up should be supported, right?

Regrettably I don't have the most recent crash report, but as soon as I get one, I'll post it. I just wanted to mark the behavior, because in all my years using Scrivener this has never happened. :cry:

Are you sure you don't have "Automatic Quit" set in Preferences?

Screenshot 2017-12-12 15.47.13.png
Screenshot 2017-12-12 15.47.13.png (129.6 KiB) Viewed 315 times


:)

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
MacBook Pro Retina 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MacBook Pro 17" (late 2011) 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
iPad Air 2, iOS 11, 64GB
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

se
se1961
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:00 pm
Platform: Mac

Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:54 pm Post

Oh yes, I most certainly did-- see my mortified post above! As KB pointed out, I was playing around with all the shiny new buttons, enabled it, forgot that I enabled it, and got hoisted by my own petard. :roll:

User avatar
xiamenese
Posts: 3442
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:32 am
Platform: Mac
Location: London or Exeter, UK.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:35 pm Post

se1961 wrote:Oh yes, I most certainly did-- see my mortified post above! As KB pointed out, I was playing around with all the shiny new buttons, enabled it, forgot that I enabled it, and got hoisted by my own petard. :roll:

All those posts came in while I was writing mine while being interrupted by my better half (and other people around me). I didn't get a warning that new posts had come in in the meantime, like one did on the previous forum. (Webmaster?) :oops:

Anyway, glad you're sorted out.

:)

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
MacBook Pro Retina 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MacBook Pro 17" (late 2011) 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
iPad Air 2, iOS 11, 64GB
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

se
se1961
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:00 pm
Platform: Mac

Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:26 pm Post

I barely noticed the crossed wires-- I was more impressed that a mere mortal (and I realize from your profile that you are more than "mere") was able to sort it out. :wink:

User avatar
KB
Site Admin
Posts: 19299
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:23 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Truro, Cornwall
Contact:

Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:46 pm Post

xiamenese wrote:All those posts came in while I was writing mine while being interrupted by my better half (and other people around me). I didn't get a warning that new posts had come in in the meantime, like one did on the previous forum. (Webmaster?) :oops:


That's strange, you should do - no behaviour has changed, only the skin...
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."