Linked notes are converted to inline notes when cutting/pasting text

ab
abigaildennis
Platform: Mac

Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:41 pm Post

When I cut and paste text within Scrivener (and within a single project--even within a single document), instead of transferring the notes as they are, all of my linked notes disappear from the inspector and become inline notes, forcing me to go through and find them and convert them all back again (by essentially creating them anew). Below is a screenshot: a linked note at top, then below it, the same note after I have cut and pasted it (this happens using both keyboard shortcuts and menu commands).

Screen Shot 2017-12-08 at 12.32.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-08 at 12.32.20 PM.png (50.81 KiB) Viewed 788 times

Silverdragon
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:57 pm Post

Ah, you need one of my favourite Scrivener menu items:

Edit > Transformations > Convert Inline Annotations to Inspector Comments

Use that and all the inline annotations in your selected document(s) get converted. Sweet.
So you know where I'm coming from:
  • I'm a user, not an L&L employee.
  • Mac Scrivener 3.1.1, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra)
  • IOS Scrivener 1.1.5, iPhone 6s, iPad Air 2, iOS 12.1.1

ab
abigaildennis

Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:39 pm Post

Silverdragon wrote:Ah, you need one of my favourite Scrivener menu items:

Edit > Transformations > Convert Inline Annotations to Inspector Comments

Use that and all the inline annotations in your selected document(s) get converted. Sweet.

Thanks. I don't have a "Transformations" menu item under the Edit menu. I'm using 2.81. It has an option to "Convert > Inline Annotations to Inspector Comments" under the Format menu, but that doesn't work here--ie it doesn't "re-convert" my now-inline comments back to their original Inspector (ie "linked") format.

KB
Site Admin

Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:45 pm Post

It looks as though you are using "Paste and Match Style" instead of "Paste".
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

ab
abigaildennis

Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:38 pm Post

KB wrote:It looks as though you are using "Paste and Match Style" instead of "Paste".

That's it! I was using the keyboard shortcuts I've been using for years with Word etc, so I was using "cmd-V" to paste. Have just seen that in Scrivener this is the command for "Paste and Match Style" instead of just "Paste". When I navigate to the plain "Paste" menu item this issue doesn't occur. Problem solved! Thank you!!! (PS Is there a way to change the Scrivener default keyboard shortcuts so i can set "Cmd-V" as my paste command, rather than having it "Paste and Match Style"?)

ab
abigaildennis

Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:41 pm Post

abigaildennis wrote:
KB wrote:It looks as though you are using "Paste and Match Style" instead of "Paste".

That's it! I was using the keyboard shortcuts I've been using for years with Word etc, so I was using "cmd-V" to paste. Have just seen that in Scrivener this is the command for "Paste and Match Style" instead of just "Paste". When I navigate to the plain "Paste" menu item this issue doesn't occur. Problem solved! Thank you!!! (PS Is there a way to change the Scrivener default keyboard shortcuts so i can set "Cmd-V" as my paste command, rather than having it "Paste and Match Style"?)

Not to worry have figured out how to do this. All is well. Thanks so much for the help.

KB
Site Admin

Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:57 pm Post

Glad you got it sorted!
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."