Scriptwriting shortcuts in Composition mode

ce
ceswiedler
Platform: Mac

Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:36 pm Post

The Function-key shortcut menu for changing scriptwriting elements doesn't work in Composition mode. (This happened in Scrivener 2 also). Previously I had worked around that by setting application shortcuts for menu options in the OS keyboard settings, but that doesn't seem to be working reliably. I much prefer the Function-key shortcut way anyway--can we please have it work in Composition mode?

As a side note, I love the new Compile dialog. Much more sensible and (as far as I can tell) equally powerful. It already made it easy to do something I struggled with before, which is to automatically title files as CHAPTER ONE, CHAPTER TWO etc. based on their position in a folder.

br
brookter

Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:10 pm Post

Do you mean the default shortcuts cmd-opt-1 for Scene Heading, cmd-opt-2 for Action etc (the numbers actually represent the order of the elements for that format)? They all work for me in Composition Mode with no problems.

If you mean cmd-shift-y plus letter, then that works in composition mode too.

(If, not, I don't know what the function key method is -- sorry...)

ce
ceswiedler

Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:22 pm Post

In non-composition mode, pressing the Function key plus a letter (a for action, c for character, d for dialogue) lets me choose that format. I didn't know about command-shift-y, it looks like that works similarly (and you're right, it works in composition mode too).

It would be handy to have the function key shortcut work in composition mode, but command-shift-y is a decent backup at least. Thanks.

br
brookter

Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:29 pm Post

Ah, do you mean the Fn key?

**Tries it out**

So it does — didn't know that. It's not documented in the manual, either (at least, searching for Fn key doesn't bring anything up). Thanks!