Scr3: Context-Menu for emptying trash is missing

Jn
JnChristp
Platform: Mac

Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:34 am Post

Hej,
am using the new version and enjoying it so far. One small glitch that I found:

In the context-menu of the trash there isn't a selection for emptying it anymore. I have to use the project-menu to do it there.

Just in case you didn't now

Greetings
JC
Attachments
Trash.jpeg
Trash.jpeg (398.1 KiB) Viewed 410 times

Bridey

Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:36 am Post

Been removed by design:

viewtopic.php?p=242359#p242359

Jn
JnChristp

Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:01 pm Post

Bridey wrote:Been removed by design:

I see. Seems a little bit odd, though, because it's just a basic function. After all it's really the only thing I want to do with the trash. But okay...

JC

Bridey

Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:25 pm Post

JnChristp wrote:
Bridey wrote:Been removed by design:

I see. Seems a little bit odd, though, because it's just a basic function. After all it's really the only thing I want to do with the trash. But okay...

JC

Seems to be a question of space and priorities. I'd prefer to have it available as a right-click item, but it is what it is.

au
auxbuss

Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:24 pm Post

JnChristp wrote:I see. Seems a little bit odd, though, because it's just a basic function. After all it's really the only thing I want to do with the trash. But okay...

Yes, I feel the same. However, from reading elsewhere, I believe that the context menu remains the same throughout the Binder, and there is limit to the number of entries in the context menu . So, at some point, empty trash became a casualty.

tbh, I've already adapted. It's an oddity, but, for me, not a deal-breaker.

Ac
Achim63
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:20 pm Post

Just a +1 here. I also expected it to be in the context menu and it took some time to find the menu entry.

KB
Site Admin

Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:28 pm Post

It was moved to make way for more commonly-used icons. Are you really constantly emptying the Trash? That seems to be the sort of thing you'd be doing only every so often compared to everything else in that menu. It's still readily available in the Project menu, of course.

Anyway, very definitely not a bug.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Jn
JnChristp

Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:28 am Post

KB wrote:It was moved to make way for more commonly-used icons. Are you really constantly emptying the Trash? That seems to be the sort of thing you'd be doing only every so often compared to everything else in that menu. It's still readily available in the Project menu, of course.

Anyway, very definitely not a bug.

All the best,
Keith

Right, it's not a bug. But the point is that the context-menu in general should show the actions that are relevant to the stuff you want to do. Isn't that what context-menus are there for? Trash - emptying. Simple. Don't need the other stuff. No need to search in the menubar... Of course, it's really nothing major, just an oddity in my view.

More importantly: Congratulations to the new release! It's great and working just fine for me.

All the best,
JC

au
auxbuss

Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:37 am Post

KB wrote:It was moved to make way for more commonly-used icons. Are you really constantly emptying the Trash? That seems to be the sort of thing you'd be doing only every so often compared to everything else in that menu.

fyi, from that menu I only use: Move to Trash and Change Icon.

As just mentioned, it's mostly about expectation. It feels odd that Empty Trash is not there, since it's a common behaviour in many apps.

br
brookter

Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:07 am Post

Not bothered about Empty Trash not being there particularly.

The ones I use most in the binder are: Section Types / Statuses / Labels; Convert to Folder; Change icon and that's about it.

If I had a choice (and I'm quite happy that I don't) I'd add Convert to default Formatting into the menu as you can only use this command when you've selected binder items (which even as a confirmed mouse-hater I usually do with the mouse) the natural next step is to right click on the selection. Catches me *every* time.

BTW: just playing with it now, I've just noticed the Show as Binder Separator item. I've been beta testing for nearly a year and never noticed that before. Oops.

KB
Site Admin

Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:15 pm Post

Indeed, the point is that a contextual menu should show commands that are commonly used for most users. They can't show everything. "Empty Trash" is in the Project menu. Who empties their Trash ten time a day? :)
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

devinganger
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:48 am Post

KB wrote:Indeed, the point is that a contextual menu should show commands that are commonly used for most users. They can't show everything. "Empty Trash" is in the Project menu. Who empties their Trash ten time a day? :)

But shouldn't the contents of that menu change depending on the context? If I right-click on the Trash, "Empty Trash" is one of the commands I would expect to see *at least there in that context*.

Perhaps I misunderstand how "contextual" is interpreted, or at the very least interpret it differently than you do.
--
Devin L. Ganger
Devin on Earth: http://www.devinonearth.com/
Plotter on the streets, pantser in the sheets

se
se1961

Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:18 pm Post

KB wrote:Who empties their Trash ten time a day? :)

I wish there were an emoji for hand-raising. That would be me. :oops: It's fiddly behavior I indulge in when I'm having problems with story-- tidy the binder in any way possible. Surely that will improve things! I found this thread because I was trying to figure out what happened to my most used command!

As a workaround, I assigned an OSX keyboard shortcut to Empty Trash. All is well.

Silverdragon
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:04 pm Post

Me too. Paranoia about putting unused files into my iOS devices strikes deep. :oops:
So you know where I'm coming from:
• I'm a user, not an L&L employee.
• Mac Scrivener 2.9 & 3.0.0, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.12.6 (Sierra)
• iOS Scrivener 1.1.5, iPhone 6s, iPad Air 2, iOS 11.2

kewms

Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:04 pm Post

devinganger wrote:But shouldn't the contents of that menu change depending on the context? If I right-click on the Trash, "Empty Trash" is one of the commands I would expect to see *at least there in that context*.

Perhaps I misunderstand how "contextual" is interpreted, or at the very least interpret it differently than you do.

Every title in the Binder has the same context.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team